Sponsored

Thinking of Purchasing Rubicon Unlimited

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
My son has a 2018 JLUR as his daily driver, with a ~30 minute commute. He has twin sons, now 2-1/2. They love his Wrangler, and they have toy Jeeps to match. He takes the doors off during warm weather, but leaves the rear doors on; something about throwing toys out of the Wrangler... :)

His wife drives the road trip Odyssey.

Bottom line is your children will love your Rubi more than you will!
Sponsored

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My JLUR taught me how to pack smart and tight, if you needed a little more cargo space you can fold down one of the rear seats down. Also you could also add a roof rack, trailer his rack or even a small trailer

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I would wait, at least until the end of the year. Better deals to be had, and there are still some bugs to work out.

Pchmotoho

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, misc old cars
I have 2 young boys and they love the JLUR. For long trips we take the Raptor but just 30 minutes ago the 7 year old and I took a drive it on Mulholland hwy (top completely removed, doors off, great night). They both love the no top no door sensation.

oh yea, I got a 3rd pedal as well!

Pchmotoho

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, misc old cars
I have 2 young boys and they love the JLUR. For long trips we take the Raptor but just 30 minutes ago the 7 year old and I took a drive it on Mulholland hwy (top completely removed, doors off, great night). They both love the no top no door sensation.

oh yea, I got a 3rd pedal as well!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JMCCUSKEY82

JMCCUSKEY82

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray 6spd
Occupation
Mortgage
All these answers basically point to yes, buy a Wrangler and you'll have a great time! Thanks for the detailed input especially from this with kids. That was really my biggest concern. Now to convince wife lol

Sbnewsom

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Stop thinking and do it! This past weekend I loaded up my wife, my 5 year old, my 3 year old and my 3 month old in it. Had a nice drive. Was it tight in the back with 2 booster seats and a full car seat? Absolutely. Did the kids have a blast? You bet!

We are in the same situation. Long trips, we take the wife's VW Atlas. But if it's nice and we are staying somewhat close to home, we take the jeep.

Sometimes I think my boys are more obsessed with the Jeep than I am. Proud dad here!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP: just buy the Jeep. It’s NOT huge..... it’s NOT a Suburban..... but it’s effin fun. Take less “required” crap for the Kids and go have fun with”less”.... enjoy your new Jeep. You know that you want one.... so go buy one.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Obviously I know it's a little louder, a little rougher, and isn't the most fuel efficient. I would be getting the 6spd and 3.6L.
This is a disclaimer you must acknowledge and sign prior to ownership. Glad to see you get it and admit to it. It is ok and part of the Jeep character. You will learn to love it. My daily driver is a Rover and is so quiet and refined. However, I sometimes sneak home for lunch just to pick up the JLUR to drive for the rest of the day. We pack camping, kids, and dog stuff in ours. Get the soft top - you will not regret it.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Our Unlimited barely handles a costco trip lol. Our last camping trip the suburban was full. Cant imagine taking the jeep.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have two elementary aged children and they love our Jeep and have plenty of rear seat room. With COVID locking things down our Jeep has been an uplifting release. We’ve pulled the top off and driven through nearby neighborhoods just enjoying getting out. I haven’t taken the Jeep on the 13 hour trip to our Lake City, CO cabin yet. We break the one way trips up into two 7 hour sessions. I have no concerns about space for luggage. I’ve got hotheads and ceramic tint so the Jeep stays pretty cool. I can see the Jeep struggling to do 75+ constantly like I usually do on road trips with it being loaded down but I think it will do 65+ fully loaded all day. I drive about 25 miles round trip for work and I love driving my Jeep. Only struggle I’ve had is 3 booster seats when my sons BF came on a ride with us. The 3 seats fit but were tight. Do it do it do it.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
JLUR owner with 2 kids. A 7yo and a 4yo who still uses a 5-point harness and have a 30 mile commute (each way).

Commute wise no issue and family wise it's great. Kids love it (and they haven't experienced doors off yet) and all their crap fits without a problem. Took it on a road trip to Montreal from CT and we packed the Jeep to the gills and the trip went great. Brought an ipad holder that hung from the headrest bars and the kids watched movies and cuddled with their blankets. Because the rear of the Jeep is more square than the curvy rear end of most SUV's these days, it makes fitting larger stuff easier.