Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray 6spd
Occupation
Mortgage
Hi there

I am a new member and am thinking heavily about ordering a new Rubicon Unlimited. It would be my primary vehicle (commute about 20 miles a day) and my wife would take our Outback. We have one child so far, and are thinking about a 2nd. Our son is 1.5yrs.

Obviously I know it's a little louder, a little rougher, and isn't the most fuel efficient. I would be getting the 6spd and 3.6L. We have the Subaru for longer trips for quiet/mileage/luxury etc.

My question is for those of you with 2 kids, how has your experience been with space inside? Road trips? Camping? The space inside seems adequate, just wanted some feedback from those with a family.

Thank you!
Jon
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

ive had my two nieces 8yr old and a 11 year old with me in my JLU and its way more than enough room. you'll be surprised the gas mileage you get in the stock form. i was avg 21 with my sport with the 6speed. now that i have upgrades and carry a roof top tent 90% of the time ive lost a bit of mileage but well worth it. They love when the doors off too! anywhom id say go for it!

OP
OP
JMCCUSKEY82

JMCCUSKEY82

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray 6spd
Occupation
Mortgage
Thank you. I know the fun factor for me, and when the kids are older will be totally worth it.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi there

I am a new member and am thinking heavily about ordering a new Rubicon Unlimited. It would be my primary vehicle (commute about 20 miles a day) and my wife would take our Outback. We have one child so far, and are thinking about a 2nd. Our son is 1.5yrs.

Obviously I know it's a little louder, a little rougher, and isn't the most fuel efficient. I would be getting the 6spd and 3.6L. We have the Subaru for longer trips for quiet/mileage/luxury etc.

My question is for those of you with 2 kids, how has your experience been with space inside? Road trips? Camping? The space inside seems adequate, just wanted some feedback from those with a family.

Thank you!
Jon
Just do it! Multi day road trips with two kids no problem. 6 speed is great. Added a baby and kids fit even with baby carrier in middle. Tailgate table handy for diaper changes on side of road

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
If you buy a Jeep, you'll fill it up with kid crap. Same thing goes for a suburban.

Jeep's a better choice.

Sponsored

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
I raised two kids in TJ's, so the JLUR is a dream. It is so much quieter, rides so much better. It will be great.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Yeah, go for it. I have three daughters (10,13, and 16) and they fit fine. We have taken the Jeep for a few overnighters, but not any week long vacations. I think we could even make that work, but it might be a little cramped.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there

Thank you!
Jon
You think your wife is gonna drive the Subaru huh.? Hmmmm , this should be good, unless she can’t drive a stick, if this is the case, then well played my friend, well played.....;)

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You think your wife is gonna drive the Subaru huh.? Hmmmm , this should be good, unless she can’t drive a stick, if this is the case, then well played my friend, well played.....;)
My wife learned stick and claimed it :facepalm:

Last edited:

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I don’t have kids but go on long road and camping trips all the time. Sometimes with 4 adults in my JLUR. The rear of the 4 door holds everything we need. It’s a lot more spacious than you think. Whatever discomfort you may feel on the way to where you’re going, when compared to other vehicles is well worth it, just for taking the top down alone.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
No kids but we regularly road trip in ours. its as comfortable as our acura to take on trips.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Hi there

Thank you!
Jon

I only have 1 kid right now, and she's 2. I am the primary transporter to/from daycare every workday (or was, until COVID-19 shut everything down), and I drive about 25 miles each way each day (mostly highway @ 65 mph). The Jeep is my "fun" car, where my Mazda3 is my normal commuter, but frankly the Jeep (I have a JLU Sport S with 6MT and hardtop) is plenty comfortable enough to be a daily driver. I love the interior even though it's the base cloth, base sound system/stereo, no cold weather package or premium stereo, etc. I am averaging 22.3 mpg lifetime over ~4,000 miles, mostly highway.

My wife has plenty of room in front of my rear-facing kid's car seat and she is 5'9". I expect to have plenty of room if/when we have a second kid and my daughter moves to a forward facing seat directly behind me.

I have plenty of storage/cargo room for every commuting for my office job and the trunk is much more roomy than my Mazda3 hatch, about the same as my wife's Forester. I haven't taken it camping or on a longer trip than maybe an hour or so, but it's been fine and we plan to use it for trips out to the Michigan dunes and other campsites a couple hours away. We have the base Michelin light truck tires, no A/Ts, so they are much quieter/comfortable. Same with suspension - I think the Sport is softer than a Rubi.

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I have a 2020 Rubi and it's main purpose for now is as a daily driver, but a very close secondary purpose is back country camping. The Deepsleep air mattress and screens, and a tailgate table are on my short list for near term upgrades, as is a bar light for the inside of the rear hatch glass. I'm also, in the mid-term, going to get a Jeep canopy to attach to the rear. I could use the tailgate table along with the canopy and cook on my propane stove in the rain.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
buy it if you want to enjoy the jeep experience or bad weather driving.
For practicality, roomy back seat,, lots of cargo space and luxury quiet drive i rank my previous 2017 Honda CR-V above the JLUR

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You may want to reconsider that second kid so you have more money for mods.
Sponsored