Sponsored

Thinking of ordering a stripper Willy's.... Thoughts?

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I have been going back and forth between a basically stripped 2 door Rubi with a hard top, and 2.0 for 43K, or a stripped Willy's 2 door with a hard top, AC, and 2.0 for around 36K. My last Jeep was a Unlimited Rubicon. The lockers were nice to have, but not needed often. The times lockers were really needed, I could have got through the obstacle with a winch. The electric sway bar disco was nice, too, once I finally got one that worked properly. Had to be replaced twice before I got a good one. That was in 2008, though, so I imagine that is not an issue now. I am an older guy with back issues, so if I can limit the times I have to get under the Jeep, I am for it! I still have some time to think about it, but there are definitely plusses for both ways. I also have been kicking around the idea of getting a 6 speed.
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I drive a stripped Sport (only option was floor mats and recovery strap). I took the tires and rock rails off of my wife's Willys (and some takeoff Rubicon shocks and springs off craisglist), so I'm driving a nearly-Willys sport (no LSD or HD brakes, but close! My grille is even black, but yaknow, because it's a black Jeep).

My wife's Jeep with all the bells and whistles and hard top and stuff is for sure a nice ride, but I like my stripped Jeep for what it is; more rough and ready, and it was cheap so I don't worry so much about dings and scratches.

The soft top in safari config keeps you out of the direct sun and you still get plenty of fresh air to stay cooler without AC. I was driving around in 100+ heat the other day and it wasn't bad at all, even with the doors still on.

I wanted the 6MT, but after driving it for a while, I'd much rather get the auto. It's just a better match with the 3.45 gears IMO...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Talk about a click bait title: "Thinking of ordering a stripper...." :LOL:

The guys I know of named WIlly, including one that once lived in a white house, would probably have the following thoughts: "Go for it!"

I think that 2 door with the manual would be a blast. Light and quick, and that 3.6 loves to rev!

JeffCj7Jl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7, 2015 4Runner, 2021 JLR
Although I have what I feel is my perfect Jeep, I wouldnt hesitate to get a stripped down Willy’s. A Jeep is a Jeep and I’ve always felt the Willy’s is the perfect comprise between the sport and rubicon. My first Jeep was a YJ 4cly with carpet and power steering as the only option. Yeah, a sahara would have been awesome, but once I took the top and doors off my stripped YJ, it didnt matter.

Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
Tommy from TFL talks about his new Stripper Jeep Willys, the post is Jeep vs. Bronco which is pretty useless at this time as the Bronco's are pretty much unseen as of today and dealers have none to sell to the public, or almost none. I know there are those who don't like TFL so that's your choice, but just look at the video as a Willys Stripper model and it's features and what you get for a base price, then you will see why the Willys Stripper is a good deal.

trainman

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Check the posts here, the 6MT is very annoying at first. It'll almost make you second guess your decision at first, but once you get about 2K on your new Jeep, you'll be glad you got it. Going non-Rubi like I did, you'll probably be craving a set of gears.
I've had nothing but smiles from the 6MT in my 2021 JLR but suspect I wouldn't be happy with the 3.45 gears in other models. One advantage to ordering a stripped model is the factory is more likely to have the parts to actually build your Jeep. I was talking to a dealer tech last night and he was describing how dorked up the automotive supply chain is right now. They just can't get all the parts they need to complete vehicles...

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I've had nothing but smiles from the 6MT in my 2021 JLR but suspect I wouldn't be happy with the 3.45 gears in other models.
3.73 should have probably been standard on 6MT with 32's. 6th might actually be useful and 1st wouldn't be so finicky to get going from a dead stop.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Whatever you do get A/C. It’s not about being comfortable but if you move to somewhere where windows fog easy it’s a hell of a lot better feeling to blow cold air through the defroster in the summer vs the lava air the heat in these things makes.

BillWorkbench

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-door Sport S (Stock)
Occupation
IT person
I have a 2 door Sport S (2020) and my Daughter has the 2 door Willys (2021). Both have the 2.0 engine.

Get the Willys, and make sure it has the following:

1. AC
2. Keyless entry, push-button unlock the door. You won't thank me for this but you will curse yourself for not taking this advice.
3. Upgrade the display to the 7" at least with CarPlay and get the subscription to Gaia, having the sat image map is priceless.
4. Get out there and enjoy. I figure if my stock Jeep can't get me there, I don't need to go.

The only extra I wish I would have got was a tow package.

Sponsored

BillWorkbench

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-door Sport S (Stock)
Occupation
IT person
I think the value of the door locks is very questionable with a soft top.
Security-wise I agree 100%. But getting out that key and reaching over to unlock the passenger door. I choose lazy for the win!

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I think the value of the door locks is very questionable with a soft top.
Not really. Buy/build a security deck and it works great with the tailgate lock. Also I have own convertibles for years, there are thieves and opportunist. Locks help keep the later away from my shit.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Not really. Buy/build a security deck and it works great with the tailgate lock. Also I have own convertibles for years, there are thieves and opportunist. Locks help keep the later away from my shit.
They don't even have to cut the top, the side windows come out really easy and quick.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
They don't even have to cut the top, the side windows come out really easy and quick.
I know, the only way to own a wrangler to me is a soft top. But 98% of the rest of the world doesn’t know that or has second thoughts when dealing with that extra step.
Sponsored