Sponsored

Thinking of lifting my JLU SS

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I have the factory Sport S (P.S. I think was the best decision I could have made as I went back and forth between that, Sahara and Rubi), but I wanted an input on a few things about a lift.

1. What is a good height, but not too high to lift?

2. Is the Jeep harder to drive at high speeds when lifted?

3. What is the best brand of lift kit?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Bkenyon53

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS; 2016 JKU; 1971 VW Beetle
I have the factory Sport S (P.S. I think was the best decision I could have made as I went back and forth between that, Sahara and Rubi), but I wanted an input on a few things about a lift.

1. What is a good height, but not too high to lift?

2. Is the Jeep harder to drive at high speeds when lifted?

3. What is the best brand of lift kit?

Thanks!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/husband-wife-jl-build-s.7668/

I've been following this thread...his wife's Sport S looks great!

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on what you want and how you dive the Jeep. I am not a rock crawler and do easy to moderate offroad'ing once a month or so. Other than that it's paved roads for me. I am also not into jacked up Jeeps..

For me, all I did was add slightly larger tires and a .75" front spacer leveling kit.

Do you want a slightly more aggressive look that will slightly help with limited off road driving or do you want a jacked up rock crawler?

1. Depends what you want and it's useage
2. Depends how high you lift it as it could effect driving
3. Over the years, on previous Jeeps, I've used and never had issue with Rough Country and Rancho. Skyjacker use to have a bad rap, not sure if they still do. Spacer lifts are all pretty much going to be of the same quality.

A take off Rubicon suspension will probably gain you about 1-2" depending on what it came off (hardtop or soft top) and what it's going on (hardtop or soft top)...

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Depends on what you want and how you dive the Jeep. I am not a rock crawler and do easy to moderate offroad'ing once a month or so. Other than that it's paved roads for me. I am also not into jacked up Jeeps..

For me, all I did was add slightly larger tires and a .75" front spacer leveling kit.

Do you want a slightly more aggressive look that will slightly help with limited off road driving or do you want a jacked up rock crawler?

1. Depends what you want and it's useage
2. Depends how high you lift it as it could effect driving
3. Over the years, on previous Jeeps, I've used and never had issue with Rough Country and Rancho. Skyjacker use to have a bad rap, not sure if they still do. Spacer lifts are all pretty much going to be of the same quality.

A take off Rubicon suspension will probably gain you about 1-2" depending on what it came off (hardtop or soft top) and what it's going on (hardtop or soft top)...

A gentleman is selling his stock Rubicon suspension for $300 which looks to be a good deal. I am not sure how much labor would be to put it on though..

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
In my experience, if you go more than 1" you will notice large changes in driveability due to the geometry of the track bars and control arms. The ride gets more harsh because energy transfer is shifted more into the frame and you get more yawl to the vehicle because the track bars connect at the axles at different ends from front to rear. You can correct this with relocation brackets, but there aren't many available for JL yet. So if you do one of the 2-3" kits that are out right now, keep that in mind. It's not horrible, but it is very noticeable.

I will eventually relocate my lower control arms and track bars to get a little of my handling back. These JLs don't handle well to begin with, so every little bit helps.
Sponsored