Sponsored

Thinking of getting a JL Wrangler. Few questions.

Village Idiot

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have read about many Rubi owners installing manual sway bar end links on their rigs to manually disconnect. Do you get more flex with that than electronically disconnecting, I wonder? (I know that most do that because of issues with the electric version on the Rubi.)
This is not true. Most Rubicon owners leave the factory electronic disconnect and it works extremely well. I use mine all the time, even in 2HI and 4HI thanks to tazer JL. And yes you get the same amount of flex as manually disconnecting. I’m not sure what “issues” you are referring to. In my experience there aren’t really any. Same for the guys that wheel often and hard. After years of submerging the JK system under water some people are having issues years later.

Some guys ditch the rubicon sway bar system for a Currie anti rock. This is essentially a very soft but always connected sway bar system that allows good flex. I think it is a great option btw. One advantage it frees up the front end, allows a very slim front bumper. Etc.
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
This is not true. Most Rubicon owners leave the factory electronic disconnect and it works extremely well. I use mine all the time, even in 2HI and 4HI thanks to tazer JL. And yes you get the same amount of flex as manually disconnecting. I’m not sure what “issues” you are referring to. In my experience there aren’t really any. Same for the guys that wheel often and hard. After years of submerging the JK system under water some people are having issues years later.

Some guys ditch the rubicon sway bar system for a Currie anti rock. This is essentially a very soft but always connected sway bar system that allows good flex. I think it is a great option btw. One advantage it frees up the front end, allows a very slim front bumper. Etc.
It must be true for some, because of comments on this board, and this lawsuit: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/jeep-sway-bar-lawsuit-says-disconnects-fail.shtml

Please know I have no first hand knowledge of this. I’m guessing it’s a rare problem, as most complaints on forums are.

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
Definitely not in a hurry to upgrade, which I think is the biggest mistake of many. I do not plan on lifting the Jeep and I agree that a locker is probably going to be overkill for 95% of the stuff I'll ever come across in nature on the East Coast, but like I said, I was just mulling over my options. An OEM Willy's Sport sounds completely adequate for most things I'd ever want to do, but I wanted to do some group tours but apparently they won't take me without lockers.

If I were to buy a Willy's sport right now, I'd probably do nothing to it but a winch + front bumper and eventually upgrade the tires.

Just as an aside....when/if you get one, look up the 101 and 201 courses at Offroad-consulting.com at Rausch Creek. Each is about a 6 hour driving training, and Kyle teaches and shows the groups about what Jeeps, even bone stock, can do. It’s amazing, and worth the trip. Never would I have ever thought my stock Willys could do what it did. No I don’t work for them or receive any matter of compensation. Just touting an excellent real-time on the courses training.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I definitely want it as stripped down as possible, actually. I'm going to forego the air conditioning and go with the 3.6/Manual. I strictly want basic and off-road capable.
If that's actually what you want, then the decision is already made: a JL Sport. ;)

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I agree with Tanner. Get what you feel comfortable with.

If you are going to sink a bunch of money into it and have a bad ass rock crawling, mud surfing, mountain climbing machine that is unstoppable, get a stripped jeep and start building.

If you want a capable jeep for most purposes wheeling, go for a sport. If you can get the 44 with LSD, that is very capable.

If you want a mild lift able to fit 35's, do some crawling or uphill climbs, want bigger brakes, think you may need lockers but don't want to do a bunch of work to it, a Rubicon makes great sense.

If you want a road jeep with off road capability, the Sahara with selectrac makes sense.

It really depends on what you are willing to do. My old TJ Sport with a 44 LSD rear was pretty unstoppable. I would fearlessly bash it though. My JL Rubicon is more capable to drive in a sane manner and I didn't have to mod the crap out of it. The lockers get me up a very very steep road in the winter. Admittedly, the TJ Sport only failed to make it twice before. My fat ass was not happy about the walk.....

Sponsored

OP
OP

RyanGreener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maxima
Just as an aside....when/if you get one, look up the 101 and 201 courses at Offroad-consulting.com at Rausch Creek. Each is about a 6 hour driving training, and Kyle teaches and shows the groups about what Jeeps, even bone stock, can do. It’s amazing, and worth the trip. Never would I have ever thought my stock Willys could do what it did. No I don’t work for them or receive any matter of compensation. Just touting an excellent real-time on the courses training.
Already planned on that. Training is more important than the gear :)

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
Already planned on that. Training is more important than the gear :)
I’ll second that about Kyle from Offroad-consulting.com. I’ve done a bunch of training with him. The guy knows everything about off roading and he’s super cool to work with.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yep. I love the steelies, would have kept them becasue they are the best looking factory wheel on the JL but they are too narrow.
A steel wheel can be widened pretty easily if you like them. In the old days, they took two wheels and make one, by splitting the wheel in two different locations and adding the wider piece where a narrow piece was cut off. It has been going on since the first hot rod days. There used to be a local shop that did it. I had a few sets made up back in the 70s. Now days, there are blank rims (no centers) available in various diameters and widths that your centers can be installed into. There are also shops that will add a ring in the middle. Some shops are widening aluminum wheels as well.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Yeah I figured that....just mulling my options over though. The Rubicon has a lot of stuff I don't really need.
I said that once.....
Sponsored