Sponsored

Thinking of getting a JL Wrangler. Few questions.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
The stock rubi rims look great, but the problem I was having is that being in Texas the rocks were chewing them up, if they had a bash ring things would be different though. As for the steel rims I did not want the weight on my JL, but knowing how durable they are on tractors i think they are the best pick for off-road.
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Or foolishness...! :CWL:

Nah, just kidding. Iā€™d do it again. It made for a memorable purchase experience.
I looked through 100 Jeeps to find the right one. :) I used this site to look at each window sticker to ensure it had what I wanted since most dealers appear to be clueless as to what "proximity keyless entry" means...

https://windowstickerlookup.com/

OP
OP

RyanGreener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maxima
OP, I wanted a stripped down Jeep too and went with a base Sport. Roll up windows, manual locks, but I do have AC and an automatic transmission. I figured in certain off road situations, having the automatic transmission would be easier.
The open diffs and 'brake lock differential' are plenty for me. It's gone up stuff that I didn't think would have been possible without a 'more capable' rig.
I'm definitely considering the AC, but I'll be getting a manual for sure. I've offroad with a manual Xterra before, it's not bad.

Sasquash

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 2 door, 1996 ZJ, 1976 SkiDoo Everest 440E
Another vote for the stripped down Jeep. I got mine with no A/C or power windows. And personally I prefer the manual off road, the autos have a nasty habit of shifting at the wrong time.
It's also a better place to start for a build. I can use my lockers in 4HI if I want, a Rubi can't. I didn't pay extra for a higher suspension or steel bumpers just to pull it out and replace it. I could go on but some people here will get offended šŸ˜‰

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote for the stripped down Jeep. I got mine with no A/C or power windows. And personally I prefer the manual off road, the autos have a nasty habit of shifting at the wrong time.
It's also a better place to start for a build. I can use my lockers in 4HI if I want, a Rubi can't. I didn't pay extra for a higher suspension or steel bumpers just to pull it out and replace it. I could go on but some people here will get offended šŸ˜‰
There are a lot of times I wish I had a stripped down jeep instead of my well equipped JLUR. I definitely would have made some different choices on where the money goes instead of the very good, but standard, choices Jeep makes. There is just something awesome about a manual Jeep, minimal electrics, an open top, and no doors.

Unfortunately, having a 2 & 5 year old forces a different approach so a vehicle everyone enjoys means more equipment. I don't think the OP can go wrong whatever they choose, just get out a use whatever you get!

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Jeff, Iā€™ve never had a problem at all with my auto shifting at the wrong times off-road. Besides, itā€™s a manumatic - you can manually shift it on and off-road. If you are rock crawling, it only makes sense to use it in that mode. I have to tell you, this automatic has been awesome!

Jeff

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of times I wish I had a stripped down jeep instead of my well equipped JLUR. I definitely would have made some different choices on where the money goes instead of the very good, but standard, choices Jeep makes. There is just something awesome about a manual Jeep, minimal electrics, an open top, and no doors.

Unfortunately, having a 2 & 5 year old forces a different approach so a vehicle everyone enjoys means more equipment. I don't think the OP can go wrong whatever they choose, just get out a use whatever you get!
Thereā€™s absolutely NOTHING wrong with buying a Rubi. I just couldnā€™t justify the expense down here in Florida for the kind of wheeling I do, and besides, I have traversed obstacles some of my Rubi brothers couldnā€™t. Sugar sand and mud can be VERY problematic. Then again, I was a four-wheeling redneck in an FJ40 when I was young, then joined the Army for thirty years. I have a TON of off-road experience I have gained in four decades in a plethora of rigs. Heck, I was driving my first car, a sports car, off-road before I got the TLC.

I have read about many Rubi owners installing manual sway bar end links on their rigs to manually disconnect. Do you get more flex with that than electronically disconnecting, I wonder? (I know that most do that because of issues with the electric version on the Rubi.)

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Eyeballing the obstacle, knowing which nannies to turn off and when, what 4x4 mode to use, maintaining the right momentum and wheel speed at the right time, and of course what line to pick, is essential regardless of whether itā€™s a Sport or a Rubi.

Also, you have to know when to bypass. If you are new to off-roading, ask more experienced folks you are wheeling with how to traverse various obstacles and follow their advice if you trust them. Donā€™t wheel with a bunch of fools if you are new to it.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
Eyeballing the obstacle, knowing which nannies to turn off and when, what 4x4 mode to use, maintaining the right momentum and wheel speed at the right time, and of course what line to pick, is essential regardless of whether itā€™s a Sport or a Rubi.

Also, you have to know when to bypass. If you are new to off-roading, ask more experienced folks you are wheeling with how to traverse various obstacles and follow their advice if you trust them. Donā€™t wheel with a bunch of fools if you are new to it.
^^^ This is great advice. Having a good spotter goes a long way in being successful.

r.stevens

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
  • Dana 44 rear axle with limited slip differential
My Willys, according to the VIN website, has a Dana M186 Front Axle and a Dana M220 rear axle.

To the OP, I too was going to build my Wrangler the way I wanted it and order it. Even with the stripped down version they were quoting me 36,000. Sitting on the lot was the very well equipped Willys that I ended up getting with a sticker price of 39,000.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yes! I'm a fan of the stock wheels, too, especially the blacked-out Rubicon version the Moab had, but don't care for how 1250 tires wear on 7.5" rims.

Looks like Quadratec finally has an 8.5" wide copy, including a style in all black. I want them badly, but $200 seems a tad steep. Hopefully, they'll have a sale or discount after the new year.
The sales are definitely worth waiting for. I paid $113/each for my set around a cyber Monday last year.

Excellent quality, very happy with my Hard Rock Quadratec wheels

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 WK CRD, 1990 YJ, 1978 911SC, 2002 Land Cruiser, 2016 BMW i3
Be honest with yourself and think about whether or not you will ever use the lockers on a rubicon. You only need them for rock crawling stuff that's hard to walk over. If you're not going to ever do that kind of stuff, save yourself 20k and get a sport.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The Dana M220 is also called the ā€œnew generationā€ Dana 44 by Jeep

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Be honest with yourself and think about whether or not you will ever use the lockers on a rubicon. You only need them for rock crawling stuff that's hard to walk over. If you're not going to ever do that kind of stuff, save yourself 20k and get a sport.
Not sure how you're getting to 20k on the difference but I see your point, getting things you know you're not going to use my be overkill. I'd throw out that another good reason for getting the Rubi is the gearing, since you get the 4.10 ratio. If you want to run 37s, or even 35s without losing your overdrive ratios, getting the higher ratio will make a definite impact without having to regear.

If you strip away the appearance stuff, the 3 big advantages of the Rubi are the lockers, axles, and transmission. If you want/need these 3 upgrades then the Rubi will get you there cheaper compared to getting a Sport and upgrading to that level.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m not sure where people get the idea that Rubicons automatically cost $10-20k more. I spent $40k on my Rubicon; it probably would have cost about $34k (ish) without the Rubicon package. Unless there are brand new Sports for $20k that Iā€™m unaware of. Someone else can do the math if they really care that much but the options I got on top of Rubicon were LED lights, steel bumper and body colored fenders, so add those to a base Sport and youā€™re definitely within $7k of what I paid.

To the OP- I HIGHLY encourage you to get whatever options you want, to include none if you donā€™t want any. Get the basest of base jeeps. Donā€™t listen to anyone here- no options are ā€œmust haves.ā€ I had a base TJ SE 4 cylinder wrangler years ago, didnā€™t even have a center console or cruise control, and it was the best jeep Iā€™ve ever owned. It did have A/C though so Iā€™d actually encourage that lol
Sponsored