Sponsored

Thinking of getting a JL Wrangler. Few questions.

RyanGreener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maxima
Hey everyone, I've been driving a beater 2001 Maxima for awhile and thanks to COVID, I've been considering a more capable/off road vehicle. I like the JL Wrangler and I like keeping things as basic as possible which is why the Willy's Sport version seems to appeal to me. It's hard to find data online but based on what I see, it pretty much is the base wrangler but it has upgraded tires/shocks/sliders, right? Is it missing the lockers? I've read on here that people buy the Rubicon for that reason but I'm just making sure.
Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Hey Ryan, the Willy's Sport is more similar to the Sport and the Willy's is more similar to the Sport S (it can get confusing). I would recommend using the Compare tool at Jeep.com (https://www.jeep.com/model-compare....110JLJL72B,2TS|CUJ202110JLJL72D,2TW&order=ASC) and see the differences between what comes standard, what can be added as an option, and what you need versus want. If off-road wheeling is not your thing, the Rubicon might not be a great fit, if you want something that has more creature comfort than a stripped down JL, the Sport S might work. Any choice is a good choice, as the JL is a great Jeep. Half the fun is configuring the Jeep and then forecasting what modifications you might make in the future to make the rig truly yours.

Cheers!

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
In essence, the difference between the Sport and Willys is that the Willys has these additional items:
  • “Willys” Hood Decal
  • Moab Black Rubicon Wheels with Grey Pad Paint
  • 32-inch Firestone Destination Mud-Terrain Tires
  • Gloss Black Grille
  • Gloss Black Grille Inserts
  • Gloss Black Headlamp Inserts
  • LED Lighting Package
  • Wrangler Decals
  • Rubicon Model Rock Rails
  • Mopar Slush Mats
edit: The Willys Edition also adds shocks from the Wrangler Rubicon, heavy-duty brakes, and a limited-slip rear differential

OP
OP

RyanGreener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maxima
Hey Ryan, the Willy's Sport is more similar to the Sport and the Willy's is more similar to the Sport S (it can get confusing). I would recommend using the Compare tool at Jeep.com (https://www.jeep.com/model-compare....110JLJL72B,2TS|CUJ202110JLJL72D,2TW&order=ASC) and see the differences between what comes standard, what can be added as an option, and what you need versus want. If off-road wheeling is not your thing, the Rubicon might not be a great fit, if you want something that has more creature comfort than a stripped down JL, the Sport S might work. Any choice is a good choice, as the JL is a great Jeep. Half the fun is configuring the Jeep and then forecasting what modifications you might make in the future to make the rig truly yours.

Cheers!
I definitely want it as stripped down as possible, actually. I'm going to forego the air conditioning and go with the 3.6/Manual. I strictly want basic and off-road capable.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Jeeps are very capable off road.

One of the most important questions is how much and where are you going to wheel your rig and how much you want to spend.

If you are going to try to run much more than fire roads or mild trails, the lockers on a Rubicon really come in handy. Limited slip diffs are good, but they have their limitations.

Plus the 4-to-1 xfer case on the Rubicon is a big plus.

Lockers and xfer cases etc. can be added later...

Like most things Jeep, its how much do you want to spend now and how much do you want to spend later.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I definitely want it as stripped down as possible, actually. I'm going to forego the air conditioning and go with the 3.6/Manual. I strictly want basic and off-road capable.
You can get the best of both worlds with the JL, but you may not be able to find it on a dealer's lot. There are a few posts on the forum about ordering JL's through your local dealer to get exactly what you want. Good luck!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

its cheaper to upgrade a sport over the rubicon. the only reason rubicons sell more are due to resale. but sadly most people buy a rubicon then throw one ton axles 15-20k and then buy 10K lifts on top.. thats when sport and willys owners ride in and get great deals on axles with the lockers for far less that what others will pay for axles. Willys are a great model to base a build off of IMO. i love my sport S. currently waiting on a axle to be delivered this week. then on to finding the best deal for a front axle

OP
OP

RyanGreener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maxima
You can get the best of both worlds with the JL, but you may not be able to find it on a dealer's lot. There are a few posts on the forum about ordering JL's through your local dealer to get exactly what you want. Good luck!
I plan on custom ordering it. I don't know many people who skip the air conditioning and get a manual haha.

I definitely plan on wheeling this everywhere (Vermont, Maine, West Virginia, PA)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

All Wranglers are off-road capable, and all Wranglers have great resale value.

Having said that, there’s a bare minimum most buyers accept these days, with AC and power windows among them.

With regards to “why people buy a Rubicon?”, the answer varies by individual. Yes, they are more off-road ready. But social media and new-vehicle price inflation are making it so that increasingly many buy them just to project an “image.”

FYI: if you plan to wheel the heck out of it, off-roading with an automatic transmission is 100 times easier than with a manual transmission. The key to wheeling is picking the right line; the automatic transmission frees your attention to do just that.

If I were you, I’d look for one sitting on the lot. A 2-door Wrangler without AC or power windows is going to be tough to find, but if you do, it is going to be heavily discounted. To the point that you may even get the automatic transmission thrown in for “free.” Also, keep an open mind between a Sport and a Willys Sport. Sports are easier to find. Besides, most add-ons on Willys Sport can be easily added later.

If you keep your search area wide, you may find what you are looking for. I found my JLU with V6, Selec-Trac, and at the right price, sitting at a dealer 1,000 miles away.

Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RyanGreener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maxima
Welcome to the forum.

All Wranglers are off-road capable, and all Wranglers have great resale value.

Having said that, there’s a bare minimum most buyers accept these days, with AC and power windows among them.

With regards to “why people buy a Rubicon?”, the answer varies by individual. Yes, they are more off-road ready. But social media and new-vehicle price inflation are making it so that increasingly many buy them just to project an “image.”

FYI: if you plan to wheel the heck out of it, off-roading with an automatic transmission is 100 times easier than with a manual transmission. The key to wheeling is picking the right line; the automatic transmission frees your attention to do just that.

If I were you, I’d look for one sitting on the lot. A 2-door Wrangler without AC or power windows is going to be tough to find, but if you do, it is going to be heavily discounted. To the point that you may even get the automatic transmission thrown in for “free.” Also, keep an open mind between a Sport and a Willys Sport. Sports are easier to find. Besides, most add-ons on Willys Sport can be easily added later.

If you keep your search area wide, you may find what you are looking for. I found my JLU with V6, Selec-Trac, and at the right price, sitting at a dealer 1,000 miles away.

Good luck.
Yeah, I plan on custom building mine (I took a peak at the ordering section) because of the rarity of everything I want.

Quick question for everyone though, let's say I do get a sport/willy's sport manual, what's involved in the transfer case swap? I've done plenty of car work before but I've never really paid attention to off road stuff. Also, I have gone off roading before (mostly in borrowed trucks) so I'm not new to the concept of driving off road, but having an off road rig would be new.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Hey everyone, I've been driving a beater 2001 Maxima for awhile and thanks to COVID, I've been considering a more capable/off road vehicle. I like the JL Wrangler and I like keeping things as basic as possible which is why the Willy's Sport version seems to appeal to me. It's hard to find data online but based on what I see, it pretty much is the base wrangler but it has upgraded tires/shocks/sliders, right? Is it missing the lockers? I've read on here that people buy the Rubicon for that reason but I'm just making sure.
Ryan:
The Willy's Sport (base model) has upgraded tires but does not have the Rubicon shocks. It does not have lockers straight out of the factory unlike a Rubicon.

I own a 4 Door Rubicon and honestly speaking did not really need it's capabilities as I almost never go off road. Too bad when I ordered my JLUR back in July 2019, a Willy's option was not available. I probably would have gone for it as you get a lot of the Rubicon looks in a Willy's (tires for example) without any of the stuff that I do not need (sway bar disconnect, Rock Trac Transfer case and Lockers).

Unless you plan on being off road rather regularly, my advise will be to stick to Willy's and then just build it however you please.
Sponsored