Sponsored

Thinking of getting a JL Wrangler. Few questions.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Frankly, i wouldn't order one with no A/C. Your resale will take a HUGE hit. I "get" buying a stripper JL Sport, it's what I did. There's lots of them around on dealer lots. Go find one and start bargaining! You'll have one by the end of the day if you try hard enough.
Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Frankly, i wouldn't order one with no A/C. Your resale will take a HUGE hit. I "get" buying a stripper JL Sport, it's what I did. There's lots of them around on dealer lots. Go find one and start bargaining! You'll have one by the end of the day if you try hard enough.
I agree with fat_head. He should get the A/C even if he plans to never use it. God forbid you are having a hard time making ends meet in the future and you need to sell that Jeep. The resale will be a lot better if he has the A/C.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Willys is a winner for sure. They just look so darn cool.
Speaking of cool, if you ever had to sell or wanted to upgrade or take a beach trip down south, then A/C is your friend.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
As noted buying one completely stripped (no A/C) is probably not a great idea. You’ll almost certainly be able to find one on a lot with more features for less$$, and resell of a manual with no A/C would likely be tough. AlsoinHOT weather no A/C can be a ral bummer. Yes, the top and doors come off, BUT on a 100F day with 90+ humidity you will be miserably HOT. Convertibles are great in moderate temps and at night, high noon on a hot day not so much (been there, done that, got the shirt). I’d highly suggest shopping what’s “out there”. When I was looking I saw some basic Sports for $28,495, BUTthey had A/C.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I plan on custom building mine (I took a peak at the ordering section) because of the rarity of everything I want.

Quick question for everyone though, let's say I do get a sport/willy's sport manual, what's involved in the transfer case swap? I've done plenty of car work before but I've never really paid attention to off road stuff. Also, I have gone off roading before (mostly in borrowed trucks) so I'm not new to the concept of driving off road, but having an off road rig would be new.
Why would you want to swap a transfer case?

If you want the 4:1 ratio, just get a Rubicon.

Whatever money you think you will save by buying a stripped Wrangler will go out the window the moment you start buying Rock-Trac transfer cases, D44 axles and lockers.

I am not who believes buying a Rubicon is the answer for everything. But if you plan to build a stripped Sport into a “Rubicon”, just buy the Rubicon.

Rubicons are a steal once you consider all the hardware you get included.

BTW, whatever we buy from day one, it will remain until the day the vehicle gets crushed. I.e., if you buy a Sport, it will remain a Sport until the day it dies, even after you put a whole bunch of Rubicon parts on it. The day you go sell it, the VIN will keep saying “Sport”, and resale value will apply accordingly.

Last edited:

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Why would you want to swap a transfer case?

If you want the 4:1 ratio, just get a Rubicon.

Whatever money you think you will save by buying a stripped Wrangler will go out the window the moment you start buying Rock-Trac transfer cases, D44 axles and lockers.

I am not who believes buying a Rubicon is the answer for everything. However, if you plan to build “a Rubicon” out of a stripped Sport, just buy the Rubicon.

Rubicons are a steal once you consider all the hardware you get included.
Not if you pay cash for the upgrades as you go along vs financing for 5 years. I put 4:1 in my Sport.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As Aldo said, if you are going to “swap a transfer case” you’re better off just buying a Rubicon to start with. I just checked on the Jeep site and within 250 miles of me, looking as Sport only, I found a couple 21models with an MSRP of $31k, BUT they ALL have A/C. If that the trim you want check on the Jeep site, find the lowest MSRP out there and then negotiate with the dealer. I’d bet good money you can get one for less than what it’d cost to order one without it.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Welcome to the forum.

All Wranglers are off-road capable, and all Wranglers have great resale value.

Having said that, there’s a bare minimum most buyers accept these days, with AC and power windows among them.

With regards to “why people buy a Rubicon?”, the answer varies by individual. Yes, they are more off-road ready. But social media and new-vehicle price inflation are making it so that increasingly many buy them just to project an “image.”

FYI: if you plan to wheel the heck out of it, off-roading with an automatic transmission is 100 times easier than with a manual transmission. The key to wheeling is picking the right line; the automatic transmission frees your attention to do just that.

If I were you, I’d look for one sitting on the lot. A 2-door Wrangler without AC or power windows is going to be tough to find, but if you do, it is going to be heavily discounted. To the point that you may even get the automatic transmission thrown in for “free.” Also, keep an open mind between a Sport and a Willys Sport. Sports are easier to find. Besides, most add-ons on Willys Sport can be easily added later.

If you keep your search area wide, you may find what you are looking for. I found my JLU with V6, Selec-Trac, and at the right price, sitting at a dealer 1,000 miles away.

Good luck.
I for one 100% agree with your take on the automatic over the standard transmission. It is far easier navigating off road obstacles with the automatic. Excellent point.

OP
OP

RyanGreener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maxima
Thanks guys for all the input! I really appreciate it. I have a lot more thinking to do, but loving how many options are available on this car. It'll be fun.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s an example of what you can build onto a “base” Sport. 4+” lift, rock rails, steel front bumper, winch, lights on the bull bar, 33” AT tires (soon to be 35s). My Sport came with the rear LSD/Dana 44 axle, auto trans, 2.0 turbo, and AC. The 8 speed transmission is fantastic!

Jeep Wrangler JL Thinking of getting a JL Wrangler. Few questions. 0A5E7057-D927-4633-9689-C9C1D6198A6A

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a final point, don’t be in a huge hurry to “upgrade”. A stock sport, esp with limited slip, is FAR more capable than 99% of what most people actually use. Yea, I know there are some “extreme” guys out there, and that’s ok, but for a first time Jeep owner there is a LOT you need to learn before you reach the level of ability where any extreme means equipment or mods are needed. An experienced off road drive can take a stock Jeep places that a newbie couldn’t get through regardless of what machine they are driving. Get a decent set of tires, and a winch/recovery kit and see what YOU can actually do..

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I've said it many tires before. A base Sport is surprisingly good off road. The vast majority of owners don't need a 4.1 transfer case. If you are going to use your Jeep in an area with steep climbs and a lot of large rocks, then yeah. There are plenty on this forum that use a Rubicon as intended, but most Jeeps just don't see much more than a dusty dirt road or a beach. As many have stated, a Rubicon is a great value for the parts you get, if you use them.

As for resale, of course a used Rubicon sells for more than a used Sport, because it cost more to begin with. All Wranglers have exceptional resale anyway. In NJ, I think a Sport or Willys would serve you well. as others have said, I would rethink the AC thing. If it turns out to not be your thing and you want to sell or trade, that will make a big difference. Plus NJ can get pretty hot a steamy in the summer. I don't think having power windows makes a big difference, especially on a 2 door. You can reach the passenger door easy from the drivers seat to crank it down.

I like your idea. Actually I wish Jeep sold a 2 door with no top or doors and just the 2 front seats covered in marine grade vinyl. No radio, or sound bar. Just use your phone and a Bluetooth speaker of two. Spray in liner on the floor, no carpet. Make half doors, a back seat and a soft top and option.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I figured that....just mulling my options over though. The Rubicon has a lot of stuff I don't really need.
A factory sport is extremely capable and a willys sport more so because of the larger tires and LSD, are you getting a JL or a JLU I ask because the 2 door will be more capable stock. Happy Jeeping:like:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
  • “Willys” Hood Decal
  • Moab Black Rubicon Wheels with Grey Pad Paint
  • 32-inch Firestone Destination Mud-Terrain Tires
  • Gloss Black Grille
  • Gloss Black Grille Inserts
  • Gloss Black Headlamp Inserts
  • LED Lighting Package
  • Wrangler Decals
  • Rubicon Model Rock Rails
  • Mopar Slush Mats
  • Dana 44 rear axle with limited slip differential
  • Heavy duty brakes
Ever since the JL Willys has been out, Jeep has printed the info I put in bold. The Willys has a gloss black one piece grill. There are no inserts on it.

I also added that last 2 points, which are major ones.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I like that you kept the stock steel wheels. Not many people realize how good they look with bigger tires, plus they're rugged as hell.
Sponsored