Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I honestly cant think of one reason id go for
A MOAB over a Rubi. Too many downsides.
This has been discussed on lots of other threads. Basically every thread that mentions the Moab. The short answer is different buyers are looking for different things. That's why there is more than one option.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
This has been discussed on lots of other threads. Basically every thread that mentions the Moab. The short answer is different buyers are looking for different things. That's why there is more than one option.
Oh I agree but i think in this case its just a way for
Jeep to seperate people
From their money and not really offer any exclusivity component wise..Just saying for me. I just dont think giving up the added axle strength, lockers and 4to1 tcase and high fenders for a painted roof and really what other cool features des a moab even have as an advantage??

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just saying for me. I just dont think giving up the added axle strength, lockers and 4to1 tcase and high fenders for a painted roof and really what other cool features des a moab even have as an advantage??
I shouldn't rehash this all again but some people like the Sahara base better, particularly the ability to get Selec-Trac. Many (myself included) like the Moab badging and wheels better than the Rubi. And it is slightly cheaper if you want all the options.

If you are looking for on-road capability with more aggressive styling and some unique accents in a loaded Jeep, the Moab is a great choice (even if the MT tires are a strange choice).

I don't really have a dog in this fight - I bought a Sport S. But I can certainly see how a Moab would be more appealing to some than a Rubicon. Nothing against a Rubicon. The off-road capability is a great value. But it is also overkill for a lot of buyers. Some people would rather put that money in cool wheels and auto 4wd.

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Sahara and Moab interior > Rubi.

+ Selec-trac plus electronic/option goodies.

That’s a biggie for many who use it as a DD and don’t off-road as often.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
lmao @okie dokie

We are really beating a dead horse.

Moab is definetly ideal for daily driving, but kind of weird it comes with MT tires.
Also, I wish they let you customize the MOAB with regular black fenders as oppose to the colored ones.

Whereas a Rubicon you customize it to your heart's desire.

There's so many pros/cons with the JL Trims, and whether it's a sahara, moab, or rubicon...

Maybe 2020 they'll come out with a customizable Willy's?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
lmao @okie dokie

We are really beating a dead horse.

Moab is definetly ideal for daily driving, but kind of weird it comes with MT tires.
Also, I wish they let you customize the MOAB with regular black fenders as oppose to the colored ones.

Whereas a Rubicon you customize it to your heart's desire.

There's so many pros/cons with the JL Trims, and whether it's a sahara, moab, or rubicon...

Maybe 2020 they'll come out with a customizable Willy's?
For what it's worth you would have no problem trading the colored fenders for black ones. Someone on the forums with a Sport will want them. I was never a big fan of colored fenders but the black trim on the JL fenders gives them some contrast. I don't like a painted top personally but you can trade that too.

OP
OP

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I'm youtubing videos of Command Trac vs SelecTrac.

I feel like if I have it on 4H CommandTrac, it still kicks in 4WD for snow/rain purposes. (hence AWD)

So why would i even need SelecTrac....because this does it automatically?

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I'm youtubing videos of Command Trac vs SelecTrac.

I feel like if I have it on 4H CommandTrac, it still kicks in 4WD for snow/rain purposes. (hence AWD)

So why would i even need SelecTrac....because this does it automatically?
Again, there are many threads that address this, but the long and short is that 4H is all 4 wheels moving at the same speed at all times, so inconsistency in traction, especially when turning, can really screw with this, more so at highway speeds. Selec-trac is a hybrid 4WD/AWD system that allows for transfer of power wheel to wheel, not just axle to axle, and it adjusts for traction/slippage, which the 50/50 split of Command- (or Rock- for that matter) Trac does not. Selec-Trac is far more stable at speed and in varying conditions than either of the part time 4WD systems are

OP
OP

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Again, there are many threads that address this, but the long and short is that 4H is all 4 wheels moving at the same speed at all times, so inconsistency in traction, especially when turning, can really screw with this, more so at highway speeds. Selec-trac is a hybrid 4WD/AWD system that allows for transfer of power wheel to wheel, not just axle to axle, and it adjusts for traction/slippage, which the 50/50 split of Command- (or Rock- for that matter) Trac does not. Selec-Trac is far more stable at speed and in varying conditions than either of the part time 4WD systems are
See what you described, and for where I live (NYC), a Saharah/Moab, would be most ideal and practical, as I'll never take this expensive vehicle to see rocks and dirt.

I might just do what you said, try and find someone to trade me my colored fenders, and for a regular black roof.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
See what you described, and for where I live (NYC), a Saharah/Moab, would be most ideal and practical, as I'll never take this expensive vehicle to see rocks and dirt.

I might just do what you said, try and find someone to trade me my colored fenders, and for a regular black roof.
Just remember, the Selec-Trac is an option on the Sahara (standard on Moab). The Command-Trac is standard, but the cost of the Selec-Trac full-time 4WD option ($530 invoice/$595 msrp added to the required anti-spin rear diff cost of $530 invoice/$595 msrp), is a great value.

I would say the best 3 dealers for us at the moment are Fitzpatrick in Ansonia, CT (Mark Fitzpatrick 203-734-3318, extension 3011, or email: [email protected]), Suresky in Goshen, NY (Mike Knight [email protected]) and Criswell in Gaithersberg, MD (Marco Brown [email protected] ) Plus, Marco has a sweet Ocean Blue Moab sitting on his lot for $6400 off msrp, so no wait(and a red one, and a white one...)!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
@misanthrope I noticed you're from LI,NY on your profile. Which dealer did you go to? and what % invoice off did you get

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
@misanthrope I noticed you're from LI,NY on your profile. Which dealer did you go to? and what % invoice off did you get
Not sure if you're messing with me, but see above post. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but Fitzpatrick is 4% + $399 fee and the best guy to deal with(can't really say enough about all of the positive feedback from folks dealing with him). Suresky is 5% + $75 fee, and pretty good to deal with, Criswell is 7%+$399 fee, cheapest but farthest, and Marco and his partner are also good to deal with. Plus, with Criswell, they offer 7% (with Tread Lightly) on in stock as well as factory order.
Sponsored