Sponsored

Thinking of cancelling my order (after a phone call from the dealer)

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
I ordered my Rubicon 4/5/21 and was told my wait would be four months. It was shipped about a week and half ago.
Sponsored

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The automatic transmission is outdated garbage that constantly hunts for gears. The manual only comes with the Tacoma Sport, which isnt the the capable off-roading edition.

I did plenty of research and was cross shopping Toyota and Jeep before ending up with my JLU. If the 4Runner came in manual and got more than 17mpg than it would of been a contender. Toyotas platform is outdated, but they’re tried and true and will run forever.
Funny thing about that Trans, it was new in '16.
The previous generations used a 5A and the current gen has a 6A.

The MT Tacoma are on random trim levels.

I had a '16 Tacoma, put 60k miles on it in 3 years. Traded it in for Golf-R and now getting back into a Truck with a Gladiator that is on order.

Last edited:

hockeynut258

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Traded my 2019 TRD off road 6-speed for my factory ordered 2021 JLUR 6-speed. The 6 speed was one of the best parts of the Tacoma! It was good overall but the JLUR has been great for our use and very happy to have it vs the taco. We off road often and the departure angle on the Tacoma made keeping the rear bumper attached a headache. Plus a 5x8’ trailer hauls more than the bed ever could when needed.

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
8 months.

My dealer just called. He's about 95% sure my order won't get here (Quebec, Canada) before January. November at best. Because of the production hell we now know.

I'm thinking of cancelling my order and shop for another vehicle. But then again, it'll be the same elsewhere.

A used JK? Maybe. But the prices are crazy high. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a used car.

Well then...
I don't understand the delay. I ordered my 80th AE in the beginning of May and I've been driving it for a month now. Did they place the order in their dealership quota? I know I've said that wrong, but I was told there are two ways they place the orders in their system - either as part of the shipment they get for their dealership allotment or as a sold customer vehicle. Those are taking from 6 to 8 weeks and in my case was only 5 weeks. I'm sorry - perhaps you could see if they need to change the order? Good luck.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I wonder why the hang up with Canadian orders. Mine was order to delivery in sx weeks exactly. Ordered last week of April.

Sponsored

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy’s Unlimited
I had a Taco for about 5 years, traded it in for my JK. Single cab, manual transmission. I loved it. I still miss that truck and have often wished I'd kept it AND bought the JK, rather than trading it in.

It was incredibly reliable. Only problem I ever had with it was a water pump that needed replacing at around 5 years, shortly before I traded it. Otherwise, it was solid as a rock and I drove the hell out of it, pulling 100 mile round trip commutes daily for years, on top of also using it around the barn. Regular maintenance and it would run forever.

I don't know what the Taco hate is about, honestly. It wasn't as capable as the Wrangler, no, and that's why I traded it in. And the interior was pretty sparse and barebones, especially compared to the JL Rubi I just bought. Even so, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat and I might actually do that as a DD after the Rubi is paid off.

And resale / trade in value on Tacomas are great. If you can't get a Jeep right now, I'd say it's a good substitute until we get out of production hell.
I have a 2019 tacoma SR auto I4 4x4 access cab with blackout package it’s super reliable it’s not quick but it will run 4ever it’s our extra haul stuff vehicle 6ft bed. It’s not a daily driver but we like it a lot! I could sell it for more than we paid in 2019 but we are keeping it with only 1700 miles on it.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I have a 2019 tacoma SR auto I4 4x4 access cab with blackout package it’s super reliable it’s not quick but it will run 4ever it’s our extra haul stuff vehicle 6ft bed. It’s not a daily driver but we like it a lot! I could sell it for more than we paid in 2019 but we are keeping it with only 1700 miles on it.
SOLD!

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I wonder why the hang up with Canadian orders. Mine was order to delivery in sx weeks exactly. Ordered last week of April.
I really don’t know at this point. My dealer sent me to Jeep Canada for more infos, Jeep sent me back to my dealer. No idea what’s going on. One thing is for sure: I got no VIN and my dealer doesn’t call me back anymore. So I guess i’ll cancel and get back my deposit.

Last edited:

NobSob

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler 2010
That's why you should always have a good tracking system to locate where your package currently is. I tried a lot of different tracking applications, and most of them operate terribly. Once, my order was in transit for six months, and my tracking application kept on showing me that my package will arrive in 2-3 days whole that time. I find this really annoying and inhuman. Eventually, I found aliexpress track order application, and I was surprised by how well it operates. I was able to locate the exact location of my package, and it was correct. Since then, I’m always feeling good about my orders.

Last edited:

SlowPoke21

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I posted this in another thread; meant to post it here:

Here in the US Toyota Tacoma offers amazing value. A Double Cab TRD Off-road, with rear locker, Bilstein shocks, crawl control, etc., retails for $10,000 below a comparably equipped Wrangler or Gladiator.

The cabin is a bit small, but the trucks are very well put together and resale is as good as Wrangler’s. Tacomas ride and handle better on-road than Jeeps, but finding a comfortable driving position can be difficult for many —myself included. One key drawback of Tacoma is that customization is not nearly as easy as what we are used to. On the other hand, Toyota just started offering a factory installed 2-inch lift!

If I were to do a Tacoma again, I would skip the automatic and get the 6-speed manual. That 6-speed automatic has got to be one of the worst driving drivetrains of all time.
I had a 2018 off-road and couldn’t agree more with that auto transmission. Holy cow it was terrible.

it was the sole reason for getting rid of it.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I really don’t know at this point. My dealer sent me to Jeep Canada for more infos, Jeep sent me back to my dealer. No idea what’s going on. One thing is for sure: I got no VIN and my dealer doesn’t call me back anymore. So I guess i’ll cancel and get back my deposit.
Sounds like that dealer got tired of giving you the information that you want.

FWIW, I found it very frustrating when my parents bought a car in British Columbia. Here is the US, Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis is quite upfront if you qualify for Employee Pricing, Affiliate Rewards, or whatever program, and they tell you exactly how much % off you get.

In Canada everything is a mystery. Chrysler/FCA Canada refused to give out any information and sent us to talk to the dealer. The dealer would then refused to give out any information over the phone and wanted us to make an appointment, do a test drive, blah blah blah.

BTW, apparently banking works the same way in Canada; they refuse to give a rate over the phone; they want you to set up an appointment, go to the branch, speak to the manager, blah blah...blah blah.

Perhaps it is cultural, but it is a big waste of everyone’s time.

I found the best way to get a reaction out of an indifferent dealer is to leave a scathing review on Yelp or Google.

Good luck.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Sounds like that dealer got tired of giving you the information that you want.

FWIW, I found it very frustrating when my parents bought a car in British Columbia. Here is the US, Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis is quite upfront if you qualify for Employee Pricing, Affiliate Rewards, or whatever program, and they tell you exactly how much % off you get.

In Canada everything is a mystery. Chrysler/FCA Canada refused to give out any information and sent us to talk to the dealer. The dealer would then refused to give out any information over the phone and wanted us to make an appointment, do a test drive, blah blah blah.

BTW, apparently banking works the same way in Canada; they refuse to give a rate over the phone; they want you to set up an appointment, go to the branch, speak to the manager, blah blah...blah blah.

Perhaps it is cultural, but it is a big waste of everyone’s time.

I found the best way to get a reaction out of an indifferent dealer is to leave a scathing review on Yelp or Google.

Good luck.
I don't think it ain't anything cultural. It is my first car buying experience that goes so wrong. Had a bunch of VWs and it always went pretty straight forward. I think FCA Canada/Stellantis/Jeep Canada just really likes to f*** around and its politics are designed to not give a crap about the customers. Jeep Canada replied to me twice on Twitter saying "we urge you to call your dealer". And my dealer says "Jeep Canada is the one who can get the info, not us".

Again, never ever experienced something so cumbersome while buying a car. Buying VWs or Mazdas is a piece of cake compared to this pile of junk.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Again, never ever experienced something so cumbersome while buying a car. Buying VWs or Mazdas is a piece of cake compared to this pile of junk.
Not sure that would still be the case in current market conditions. No one has anything left to sell.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Not sure that would still be the case in current market conditions. No one has anything left to sell.
Depends. If you take a look at Hyundai's dealerships in Quebec, inventory is full-packed. But then again, who wants a boring CUV? Same goes for our VW and Mazda dealers. Really, if you want a white base-trim SUV or CUV, they got you covered no problem.

Now if you're trying to pick a Wrangler, a Bronco, a 4Runner, a Colorado ZR2 or anything that could come close to a reliable, capable off-roader or overlander, forget about it: you'll pay a few thousand bucks premium just for the sake of it. Like in USA, I guess.

The worst you can shop around for right now, in Quebec, is an FJ Cruiser. Because you have two types of buyers running after them: those who'll die driving Toyotas, no matter what. And those who know how this thing is valued on the market right now. A mint condition FJ Cruiser is still sold at 45 000, say 50 000 $CAN. But it has to be mint. Underscored, italic, bold.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I'm now happy to report updates on my delivery: nothing new happened.

I should work at CNN...

So i'm now on the market for a 96-99 TDI Defender. More expensive but I'm just sick of waiting, calling my dealer, then calling Jeep Canada because my dealer told me to, then calling back my dealer because Jeep Canada told me to. Nobody can give me an ounce of information.

F*** it. I'm cancelling.
Sponsored