Sponsored

Thinking of cancelling my order (after a phone call from the dealer)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Drove by the local auto row yesterday: the Jeep, Honda, Subaru and VW dealers have their usual inventory; the Toyota lot is empty.

Saw a dealer in Colorado now has $20,000 markups on Tacomas. Nuts!
Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Drove by the local auto row yesterday: the Jeep, Honda, Subaru and VW dealers have their usual inventory; the Toyota lot is empty.

Saw a dealer in Colorado now has $20,000 markups on Tacomas. Nuts!
Yeah, US's dealers have much more choice when it comes to truck and 4X4s. Which is ironic because Quebec would be a place where you'd expect people to buy trucks and 4X4s, especially with our winters.

But hey, if you want a Kia or a Mazda, lots are full here.

I had a call with my Toyota dealer: no better than Jeep for deliveries when it comes to Tacos or 4Runners. He then suggested, and i'm not joking, that "the e-AWD Prius is very good for our winters".

...I wanted to punch him. Right in the sack. But I didn't.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, US's dealers have much more choice when it comes to truck and 4X4s. Which is ironic because Quebec would be a place where you'd expect people to buy trucks and 4X4s, especially with our winters.

I had a call with my Toyota dealer: no better than Jeep for deliveries when it comes to Tacos or 4Runners. He then suggested, and i'm not joking, that "the e-AWD Prius is very good for our winters".

The reason for this is the difference between US and Canadian dollars. Many of the used Canadian 4x4 are bought by the US auction companies and imported to the US. Itā€™s cheaper for dealers to buy north of the boarder, ship, pay to have the gauge cluster swapped out and go through the import certification than it is to pay actual value to US customers. This is great if you get a Ford product from Canada as they keep their warranty, I believe all the others lose them when they make their cross boarder trek.

I did some research on this when we bought our Navigator, itā€™s a Canadian import. Cluster and customs done right. No more rust than a typical Indiana vehicle. I did get a 4 year old vehicle with 35,000 miles for less than half of its original sale price though. The only difference was daytime running lights and the region on the Sync3. Five minutes with Forscan and it was set to US specs.

JDK

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Tacoma, 2008 Shelby GT
I posted this in another thread; meant to post it here:

Here in the US Toyota Tacoma offers amazing value. A Double Cab TRD Off-road, with rear locker, Bilstein shocks, crawl control, etc., retails for $10,000 below a comparably equipped Wrangler or Gladiator.

The cabin is a bit small, but the trucks are very well put together and resale is as good as Wranglerā€™s. Tacomas ride and handle better on-road than Jeeps, but finding a comfortable driving position can be difficult for many ā€”myself included. One key drawback of Tacoma is that customization is not nearly as easy as what we are used to. On the other hand, Toyota just started offering a factory installed 2-inch lift!

If I were to do a Tacoma again, I would skip the automatic and get the 6-speed manual. That 6-speed automatic has got to be one of the worst driving drivetrains of all time.
I had a Tacoma TRD Off-road. I traded it after 18 months for my JKU because of that dam auto transmission. The calibration is absolute crap and robbed any and all joy of driving. What really sucked is that the calibration/shift points change after so many miles, so the test drive does not reflect the real daily experience.

I could not get rid of the Tacoma fast enough. Maybe if I had gone with the 6spd the experience would have been better.

Last edited:

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
8 months.

My dealer just called. He's about 95% sure my order won't get here (Quebec, Canada) before January. November at best. Because of the production hell we now know.

I'm thinking of cancelling my order and shop for another vehicle. But then again, it'll be the same elsewhere.

A used JK? Maybe. But the prices are crazy high. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a used car.

Well then...
Sorry to hear that. Just out of curiosity, are they saying the delay is due to the backlog on microchips? The reason I am asking is because I spoke with Jeepā€˜s customer care on Thursday and asked if microchips were delaying delivery of the Wranglers and they said no. I was concerned about my 4xe order being delayed. I am in Arizona so maybe that isnā€™t an issue in the states with the Wranglers.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Tacoma TRD Off-road. I traded it after 18 months for my JKU because of that dam auto transmission. The calibration is absolute crap and robbed any and all joy of driving. What really sucked is that the calibration/shift points change after so many miles, so the test drive does not reflect the real daily experience.

I could not get ride of the Tacoma fast enough. Maybe if I had gone with the 6spd the experience would have been better.
In my case, the reason I didn't notice how terrible the automatic transmission was is because the test drive route near the dealership is all 25-35 MPH speed limits. The automatic was at its worst between 45 and 60 MPH, particularly when I needed to pass someone on a 2-lane road.

We are surrounded by 2-lane mountain roads in this area; stunningly beautiful drives that turned into harrowing moments by an anemic motor mated to a retarded automatic transmission that simply refused to do anything when I needed it to.

I was able to sell my Tacoma TRD Off-Road privately after six months for the same amount I paid minus tax & license; I was happy about that. It only took 10 days to sell. The buyer came up all the way from central California.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Lol, a sack punch is ALWAYS the answer in that scenario.

I think you're stuck with an MT but have you thought about a Bronco? Might get lucky and catch one on a lot probably before November. Lol.

HeavyMetalFox

First Name
Chic-ette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon Edition
Occupation
RMT
8 months.

My dealer just called. He's about 95% sure my order won't get here (Quebec, Canada) before January. November at best. Because of the production hell we now know.

I'm thinking of cancelling my order and shop for another vehicle. But then again, it'll be the same elsewhere.

A used JK? Maybe. But the prices are crazy high. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a used car.

Well then...
Auto trader. Find the one closest to what you want that way. Thatā€™s what I did and Iā€™m super in love with my Jeep.

Qmed Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Toyota Tacoma (Crushing on Rubi's)
8 months.

Well then...
Im in the same boat, I was at the dealer the other day and he told me a custom order was 6 months. Iā€™ll keep my 1st gen Tacoma till all this madness ends. I have this sinking suspicion we are headed for very dark days...

Sponsored

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
My 2018 Tacoma TRD Off road sucked. Legandary Toyota reialibility was absent when they built mine. Left me stranded, had to be towed multiple times, and Toyota and the dealer couldn't figure out why. All this is before you get into the weak engine, crappy trnasmission, horrible JBL system, and jacked up electronics. Beware Toyota Saftey system and it felt like you sit on the floor in it. Lots of folks love them...mine was a POS. Never ever another Toyota product for me... but this is my experience with the brand....

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Sorry to hear that. Just out of curiosity, are they saying the delay is due to the backlog on microchips? The reason I am asking is because I spoke with Jeepā€˜s customer care on Thursday and asked if microchips were delaying delivery of the Wranglers and they said no. I was concerned about my 4xe order being delayed. I am in Arizona so maybe that isnā€™t an issue in the states with the Wranglers.
No, that's not exactly why they're late in Canada. Fact is: with the currency rate, selling a Jeep in Canada is a couple of thousands less in revenue than selling the very same Jeep in USA. So orders in USA are the priority. Any company would do the same.

Add the current demand, the microchips, the shortage of anything to build the Jeep and you're suddenly 3 to 5 months late. That's if your order isn't simply cancelled.

My dealer is pushing hard to make sure my Jeep is being built. But there's no promess made at the moment. I feel for the dude because he's the first who won't make a dime if my card doesn't get build. But he does what he can with what Jeep is offering to him.

He turned away a couple of clients, last week, who wanted Pacificas. Those are just not built at the moment.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
My 2018 Tacoma TRD Off road sucked. Legandary Toyota reialibility was absent when they built mine. Left me stranded, had to be towed multiple times, and Toyota and the dealer couldn't figure out why. All this is before you get into the weak engine, crappy trnasmission, horrible JBL system, and jacked up electronics. Beware Toyota Saftey system and it felt like you sit on the floor in it. Lots of folks love them...mine was a POS. Never ever another Toyota product for me... but this is my experience with the brand....
A 100% accuracy rate for reliability is virtually impossible. As you said, you probably got the one a month that sucked on the assembly line. That's a shame because from what i've heard from owners who got good ones, they just can't be killed, no matter how hard you try.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Im in the same boat, I was at the dealer the other day and he told me a custom order was 6 months. Iā€™ll keep my 1st gen Tacoma till all this madness ends. I have this sinking suspicion we are headed for very dark days...
That situation should last for about a year or so. A lot of plants for so many parts were just shut down because of COVID. So just getting back to the regular rythm will take time. Plus, there's absolutely not a dime of discount to get on any model at the moment, except if you buy a boring car nobody wants that was already sitting in the lot anyway.

Right now in Quebec, if you want a Prius, you can sign the lease and leave the dealership with the car 15 minutes later. Same for Kia SUVs, Konas or that kind of s***. As soon as you want a truck or something that's coming close to being capable off-road, you're sent at the back of the line, you're asked for a 1000 $ deposit and your dealer wishes you "good luck". Not because he doesn't want to sell the car to you: because he knows that chances your order gets cancelled is quite high.

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
A 100% accuracy rate for reliability is virtually impossible. As you said, you probably got the one a month that sucked on the assembly line. That's a shame because from what i've heard from owners who got good ones, they just can't be killed, no matter how hard you try.
Well that was as I said my experience. My friend with his 19 Tacoma had issues as well but not like mine. my issues coupled by the dealer totally ruined Toyota for me.
Sponsored