Sponsored

Thinking of cancelling my order (after a phone call from the dealer)

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I just traded my 18 JLU Sport for 29k. They put it up on their lot for 41.8k... In CA.

Base, Soft Top, Manual Trans.

I was almost pist off, but they gave me a Gladiator at 15% off MSRP.
Sponsored

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I posted this in another thread; meant to post it here:

Here in the US Toyota Tacoma offers amazing value. A Double Cab TRD Off-road, with rear locker, Bilstein shocks, crawl control, etc., retails for $10,000 below a comparably equipped Wrangler or Gladiator.

The cabin is a bit small, but the trucks are very well put together and resale is as good as Wrangler’s. Tacomas ride and handle better on-road than Jeeps, but finding a comfortable driving position can be difficult for many —myself included. One key drawback of Tacoma is that customization is not nearly as easy as what we are used to. On the other hand, Toyota just started offering a factory installed 2-inch lift!

If I were to do a Tacoma again, I would skip the automatic and get the 6-speed manual. That 6-speed automatic has got to be one of the worst driving drivetrains of all time.
***With all due respect the Tacoma is absolutely horrible. Too many reasons to list. It’s not even fair to compare a JL Rubicon to a Tacoma.

BH6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys, 2010 JKU (Sold)
Did you have a go with the 6MT? Maybe funnier, I don't know. Right now in Quebec, it's not even possible to have a testdrive with the 4Runner or the Tacoma.
If you want to drive to Ontario and like Yellow, Peel in Mississauga just got a Hella Willys with all the right goodies. 6MT.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
***With all due respect the Tacoma is absolutely horrible. Too many reasons to list. It’s not even fair to compare a JL Rubicon to a Tacoma.
Yet they are incredibly popular. My daughter was considering trading her 2010 2 dr Wrangler for one. Used Tacomas are priced thru the roof. Might as well buy a new one. I put my RubiOEM wheels and tires on her JK , spruced it up and she is keeping it. It’s like the housing market outside the cities. You can sell hi, but your gonna buy hi so it’s a wash.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I don't think the point was to compare it to a JL in any way, shape or form. But to find something that could be 4X4 and a nice replacement for a Wrangler. No matter how you take it, Wranglers are just not available in the lots in Canada, right now, and the used ones that are for sale are way too expensive at the moment.

I'm kind of curious to read a couple of the too many reasons why a Taco is such a horrible truck, however.

Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I had a Taco for about 5 years, traded it in for my JK. Single cab, manual transmission. I loved it. I still miss that truck and have often wished I'd kept it AND bought the JK, rather than trading it in.

It was incredibly reliable. Only problem I ever had with it was a water pump that needed replacing at around 5 years, shortly before I traded it. Otherwise, it was solid as a rock and I drove the hell out of it, pulling 100 mile round trip commutes daily for years, on top of also using it around the barn. Regular maintenance and it would run forever.

I don't know what the Taco hate is about, honestly. It wasn't as capable as the Wrangler, no, and that's why I traded it in. And the interior was pretty sparse and barebones, especially compared to the JL Rubi I just bought. Even so, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat and I might actually do that as a DD after the Rubi is paid off.

And resale / trade in value on Tacomas are great. If you can't get a Jeep right now, I'd say it's a good substitute until we get out of production hell.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I’d personally never buy a new tacoma. The 3.5 is underpowered and even with the 6 speed manual it felt like a turd with stock tires. Makes all of its power way too high.

Hell, my buddy’s stock Trd OR 6sp hardly gets better mpg than my Jeep on 37’s.

I’d buy a Ford Ranger if I wanted a small truck. Especially if the next gen gets the 2.7. That will be a game changer.

Reactions: JDK

Sponsored

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
I don't think the point was to compare it to a JL in any way, shape or form. But to find something that could be 4X4 and a nice replacement for a Wrangler. No matter how you take it, Wranglers are just not available in the lots in Canada, right now, and the used ones that are for sale are way too expensive at the moment.

I'm kind of curious to read a couple of the too many reasons why a Taco is such a horrible truck, however.
there is 2 lots in town, in total 11 wranglers available , 2 door, high altitudes, rubicons, islander , Diesel. there was even a 4xe a couple days ago but maybe sold as its not online

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
The difference between a JK and JL is like chalk and cheeze. Don't get a JK.

Go to the dealers lot and negotiate on an existing vehicle.
I’ll end up sounding like a broken record but as I reminded many times before, there’s nothing in the lots in Quebec right now. Nothing, rien, nichts.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
The good news Toyota is not being impacted by the chip shortages; they saw this coming and stocked up on chips ahead of time.

The bad news is Toyota sales are 30% up from last year; they can't build them fast enough!
Even a well executed inventory plan won’t protect them for long. The problem is that the small parts that go on boards for almost everything we buy are backlogged. Toyota and Tesla seemed to have bought well, but will be having issues by the summer ...
Sponsored