Sponsored

Thinking of cancelling my order (after a phone call from the dealer)

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
8 months.

My dealer just called. He's about 95% sure my order won't get here (Quebec, Canada) before January. November at best. Because of the production hell we now know.

I'm thinking of cancelling my order and shop for another vehicle. But then again, it'll be the same elsewhere.

A used JK? Maybe. But the prices are crazy high. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a used car.

Well then...
Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
8 months.

My dealer just called. He's about 95% sure my order won't get here (Quebec, Canada) before January. November at best. Because of the production hell we now know.

I'm thinking of cancelling my order and shop for another vehicle. But then again, it'll be the same elsewhere.

A used JK? Maybe. But the prices are crazy high. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a used car.

Well then...
Are you looking for one like the one in your signature picture?

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Are you looking for one like the one in your signature picture?
If I recall, he had his rear ended by a semi and was wanting to get a replacement similar to. He debated a Gladiator for a short bit. Personally, I would consider keeping the order if the deposit is say $1-500 and refundable and buy the Gladiator now if possible. Assuming they continue to hold their value well, you could easily swap out if you find yourself unhappy.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
If I recall, he had his rear ended by a semi and was wanting to get a replacement similar to. He debated a Gladiator for a short bit. Personally, I would consider keeping the order if the deposit is say $1-500 and refundable and buy the Gladiator now if possible. Assuming they continue to hold their value well, you could easily swap out if you find yourself unhappy.
If his was a diesel, and it seems to me it was, the identical Jeep, 2021 model, is sitting on the lot not 10 miles from me.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this in another thread; meant to post it here:

Here in the US Toyota Tacoma offers amazing value. A Double Cab TRD Off-road, with rear locker, Bilstein shocks, crawl control, etc., retails for $10,000 below a comparably equipped Wrangler or Gladiator.

The cabin is a bit small, but the trucks are very well put together and resale is as good as Wrangler’s. Tacomas ride and handle better on-road than Jeeps, but finding a comfortable driving position can be difficult for many —myself included. One key drawback of Tacoma is that customization is not nearly as easy as what we are used to. On the other hand, Toyota just started offering a factory installed 2-inch lift!

If I were to do a Tacoma again, I would skip the automatic and get the 6-speed manual. That 6-speed automatic has got to be one of the worst driving drivetrains of all time.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT

Here in the US Toyota Tacoma offers amazing value. A Double Cab TRD Off-road, with rear locker, Bilstein shocks, crawl control, etc., retails for $10,000 below a comparably equipped Wrangler or Gladiator.

The cabin is a bit small, but the trucks are very well put together and resale is as good as Wrangler’s. Tacomas ride and handle better on-road than Jeeps, but finding a comfortable driving position can be difficult for many —myself included. One key drawback of Tacoma is that customization is not nearly as easy as what we are used to. On the other hand, Toyota just started offering a factory installed 2-inch lift!

If I were to do a Tacoma again, I would skip the automatic and get the 6-speed manual. That 6-speed automatic has got to be one of the worst driving drivetrains of all time.
I'm having a chat with the local Toyota dealer tomorrow to see what they could give me. 6MTs Tacoma are quite rare too.

Unfortunately, my Jeep dealer has its hands tied and cannot do much more at the moment. His files say he's about 28 deliveries behind schedule at the moment. Meanwhile, his lot is full of Renegades and Compass. "People want Wranglers, I don't understand why they throw microchips in our SUVs while they don't sell them", he says.

Yes, my Willys got wrecked by a semi. Thanks Yogi for the link but that's not what I want.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver

The automatic transmission is outdated garbage that constantly hunts for gears. The manual only comes with the Tacoma Sport, which isnt the the capable off-roading edition.

I did plenty of research and was cross shopping Toyota and Jeep before ending up with my JLU. If the 4Runner came in manual and got more than 17mpg than it would of been a contender. Toyotas platform is outdated, but they’re tried and true and will run forever.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
The automatic transmission is outdated garbage that constantly hunts for gears. The manual only comes with the Tacoma Sport, which isnt the the capable off-roading edition.

I did plenty of research and was cross shopping Toyota and Jeep before ending up with my JLU. If the 4Runner came in manual and got more than 17mpg than it would of been a contender. Toyotas platform is outdated, but they’re tried and true and will run forever.
I don't know about USA but the 6MT is an option for every trim in Canada.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

That is incorrect. I just built a TRD Off-Road with the manual transmission.

Sponsored

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I don't know about USA but the 6MT is an option for every trim in Canada.
I don't see it on the Toyota USA website, unless I'm missing something. Regardless, I'd take advantage.
I think Americans like automatics, the manuals are hard to find in any new vehicle over here nowadays. Hell, I don't even know if most Americans can drive a manual, it's a dying skill.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having a chat with the local Toyota dealer tomorrow to see what they could give me. 6MTs Tacoma are quite rare too.

Unfortunately, my Jeep dealer has its hands tied and cannot do much more at the moment. His files say he's about 28 deliveries behind schedule at the moment. Meanwhile, his lot is full of Renegades and Compass. "People want Wranglers, I don't understand why they throw microchips in our SUVs while they don't sell them", he says.

Yes, my Willys got wrecked by a semi. Thanks Yogi for the link but that's not what I want.
The good news Toyota is not being impacted by the chip shortages; they saw this coming and stocked up on chips ahead of time.

The bad news is Toyota sales are 30% up from last year; they can't build them fast enough!

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
The good news Toyota is not being impacted by the chip shortages; they saw this coming and stocked up on chips ahead of time.

The bad news is Toyota sales are 30% up from last year; they can't build them fast enough.
30 % up, which is huge. And from the little chat I had with the dealer, I can't expect a miracle for a Tacoma or a 4Runner either. It'll come down to when I can get it vs how much will I pay for it. Because even with the Trail trim, it's much more money than the Sport S. It's not that I can't pay for it: it's the fact I don't want to put too much money on a car.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, so its the bed options that determine the powertrain. Because on the 6ft and access cab (the one I'd want) it doesn't allow manual.
Yeah, that could be.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
That is incorrect. I just built a TRD Off-Road with the manual transmission.
That's weird, because 6 months ago I could of sworn there wasn't an option because that was a big determining factor. Hmmm.
Sponsored