Sponsored

thinking of buying a new wrangler- any glaring issues/problems on the new ones?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the Tacoma is a different beast than the 4Runner I just couldn’t keep that Willys with so many issues right out of the gate that were not there on the lot to risky long term my first and last jeep. Fiat sucks.
Indeed. 4Runner uses a 30-year old 4.0L engine and 5-speed transmission.

I can appreciate Toyota's focus on reliability. But I don't feel I should have to buy 1985 technology to get it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
So looking online, looks like I cannot get a standard v6 with no hybrid or diesel with an automatic? I have to get either the etorque hybrid engine or diesel to get automatic??? If I want the v6 without hybrid or diesel then it's only the 6spd manual? Is this true?

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
I literally just got rid of my 2021 Willys with 250 miles on it today due to corrosion on 5 door hinges and one on the hood I dumped it ASAP for a 4Runner it’s a rust bucket I will not deal with a corporation that refuses to install aluminum doors correctly no new vehicle should have any paint issues the quality is garbage. It was my first and last FCA product very disappointed I do not want to deal with paint shops over and over again on a car that was driven 250 miles buyer beware google JL door hing corrosion. FCA sucks I’m sticking with quality. The corrosion happened extremely quickly it wasn’t there when I bought it. Very disappointed FCA fix your issues idiots. I also had engine knock with the 2.0L running 93 octane and some rust under the vehicle. The quality is crap. So disappointed and angry there should not be these issues for what they charge on a brand new vehicle. I gave up. Too many problems for a brand new car that has 250 miles on and was only 3 months old. Not gonna deal with aluminum corrosion paint blending and frame rust on a new vehicle. It’s gone be careful these JL’s have some serious issues.
Is that correct? 250 miles is all you put on in 3 months???

The poor Jeep is corroding due to lack of attention!

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy’s Unlimited
Is that correct? 250 miles is all you put on in 3 months???

The poor Jeep is corroding due to lack of attention!
No I was in the hospital 4 times no new vehicle should be corroding at all it’s the way they assemble and paint the aluminum doors and hinges it’s garbage and they know about it this was in my garage no salt yet paint bubbling in multiple places fuck that it’s shit quality. Never ever had any problem with this with any other brand ever. Jeep quality is in the shitter.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I can see one problem.

You'll love it so much that you'll empty your gas tank more than you think, just cruising around with a smile on your face.

Just don't check every box of options if you don't need it. The simpler your Jeep, the less it'll tend to break (like every other car).

One rule: have fun and wave other Jeeps.

Enjoy.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Our Jeep is our toy and not a daily driver. We keep it in the garage, and plan to spend money on it to make it ours. I don't have enough experience to give you too much advice, however we live in Florida and putting the top down and cruising the beach is a blast. Ours is 2.5 weeks old and has over 700 miles on it.

For a "daily driver", there are a lot of vehicles I'd prefer. Our daily drivers are a 2014 Tundra and 2013 Odyssey. Driving a Honda Odyssey down the Atlantic Coast isn't nearly as much fun as the Jeep. Even with our bone stock "cheap Jeep", other Jeep owners come up to me and start talking. I figure that I'll be turning a wrench under it more than my Honda or Toyota, but I knew that before buying it.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Yes, that is correct. If you get the auto with V6, you will get the etorque version. Honestly, I’ve heard less issues with that system then the wonky ESS batteries. Anyway, I’ve also read of the door hinge corrosion issue, but have not noticed it on mine that I’ve owned (and kept outside) for the past 6 mo. I do periodically check though, but not worth trading in because of it.

Maintenance is pretty straight forward with the oil filter on top and drain plug accessible without even lifting the vehicle. Diff fluid is also pretty easy. If you get the limited slip, just make sure to get the additive.

I went with the manual, but have heard mostly good things with the auto.

Since you’ll be getting a new one, you’ll get the updated steering box, so all those posts about poor steering should be a thing of the past. You will get some wander from the mud tires, but that improves as they wear in (I also got the Willys package). I recently took a road trip from Pittsburgh to Niagra Falls and had no issue - it was a nice ride the whole way.

One of the first things I did when getting the vehicle home was to push down on all the fuses to make sure they are properly seated. I’ve read multiple posts where owners found improperly seated fuses that could cause random electrical issues.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
"Reliability" and Toyota wasn't the case with my 18 Tacoma TRD Off Road....left me stranded multiple times and a dealer that couldn't fix it, Toyota Corporate didn't care and I dumped it. TSS (Toyota Saftey Sense) is half baked and commits errors all the time. My friend had a similar experience with his Tacoma....Never did I have the problems with a Jeep that I had with that POS. CJ, YJ, TJ, JK's and now the JL very minor issues fixed promptly by the dealers. I wish you well on the Toyota....maybe the old tech is more reliable than the Tacoma. Never ever will I own ANY Toyota/Lexus product....
No need to wish me anything. I ain’t the one looking to buy a 4Runner...

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Got my First Jeep the end of November. 2021 Willys. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! Coming from a 2016 Tacoma and there is no comparison except maybe cup holders. Just did my own Oil, Filter, Rear Dif and 5 tire rotation myself at 5K. Not one complaint as of right now, and no trips to the dealer for anything.

G.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've been enjoying the hell out of my '19 JLR and it's been excellent. However, if I was looking right now, I would wait a couple months for reports coming from Bronco owners. It has some nice features and should do fine on medium rated trails.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I think all the new v-6s come with e-torque. Yuk. Turbo does not.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
I think all the new v-6s come with e-torque. Yuk. Turbo does not.
V6 with manual transmission has ESS, not E-torque, for the '21 model year. It's confusing with all of the engines offered and many changes.

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
Sure, please read the hundreds of shitty QC problems and respond accordingly.
Sponsored