Sponsored

thinking of buying a new wrangler- any glaring issues/problems on the new ones?

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
I am thinking about buying a new wrangler willys. 4 door. are there any issues on these new ones that would cause you not to get one again?

how is the maintenance for DIY?

i like to do all my fluids like diffs/xfer cases and transmissions. are those simple drain and fill?

how are the spark plug changes?

I am looking at the v6 gas with the automatic and 4x4.

i will start looking around here to see if any of my questions are answered already but i only have till end of month to decide.

thanks!
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Yes. You will be hooked and never have money again for anything else.

JEEP

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

All Wranglers are 4WD.

Willys is an excellent choice: you get the right goodies and looks great.

The V6 + 8-speed automatic work great together.

Good luck.

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
Test drive it to make sure it's the vehicle for you.

Also what are your future goals? Do you plan to explore the trails and how difficult do you want to be able to go. I opted for a sport to keep my initial costs down and to upgrade it as I go along but if I had the money I probably would have gone for a Rubicon for more functionality.

We've had ours just over a month. I took my wife on the trails last weekend and she is now hooked. She is already talking upgrades.

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I am thinking about buying a new wrangler willys. 4 door. are there any issues on these new ones that would cause you not to get one again?

how is the maintenance for DIY?

i like to do all my fluids like diffs/xfer cases and transmissions. are those simple drain and fill?

how are the spark plug changes?

I am looking at the v6 gas with the automatic and 4x4.

i will start looking around here to see if any of my questions are answered already but i only have till end of month to decide.

thanks!
I never changed my own oil until this Jeep. I have done plenty of other automotive work over the years, but I was never very motivated to deal with the mess and disposal of fluids, etc. COVID gave me a reason to not hassle with going to the dealership, even though my oil change would have been free. It was painfully easy. I didn't even need to touch a jack. I'm planning on doing my diffs soon and videos make it look just as brainless. I haven't touched the plugs, couldn't tell ya what that's like.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Test drive it to make sure it's the vehicle for you.
this. Actually drive it. Get on the highway at cruising speeds. Stay in one lane for several miles. See how it tracks. Make sure you’re comfortable with the way it drives. And actually drive the one you’re buying. Don’t assume they all drive exactly the same.

check all the door hinges, under the tub rails and all over the door jambs to see if there are any paint issues. Do the same for the color matched top if you get one.

if you buy it, check all your fuses before you leave the lot by pushing them all down to make sure they’re seated. It’s easy and only takes a minute.

other than that, buy it and enjoy it. They have their fair share of production issues, but that’s what warranties are for.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I haven't changed a sparkplug in decades. Used to do it all time. Along with points, rotors, and condensers.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum, just read these forums for about a month, then come back and ask away. I guarantee the answer you are looking for is in here somewhere.

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy’s Unlimited
I literally just got rid of my 2021 Willys with 250 miles on it today due to corrosion on 5 door hinges and one on the hood I dumped it ASAP for a 4Runner it’s a rust bucket I will not deal with a corporation that refuses to install aluminum doors correctly no new vehicle should have any paint issues the quality is garbage. It was my first and last FCA product very disappointed I do not want to deal with paint shops over and over again on a car that was driven 250 miles buyer beware google JL door hing corrosion. FCA sucks I’m sticking with quality. The corrosion happened extremely quickly it wasn’t there when I bought it. Very disappointed FCA fix your issues idiots. I also had engine knock with the 2.0L running 93 octane and some rust under the vehicle and a squirrelly steering wheel. It was a piece of shit none of this was evident on test drive The quality is crap. To many problems on a new vehicle. So disappointed and angry there should not be these issues for what they charge on a brand new vehicle. I gave up. Too many problems for a brand new car that has 250 miles on and was only 3 months old. Not gonna deal with aluminum corrosion paint blending and frame rust on a new vehicle. It’s gone be careful these JL’s have some serious issues.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
Willys is a great choice, I’m on number two for this Edition, both bought new, a 2016 and my 2021. Love the 2021 with the 8 speed, 3.6, and I ordered the Selec-Trac transfer case option when I built it last October. Aldo sums it up!

Redbullf189

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport Sting-Gray
Willys is great. I have a 2021 that I just bought a few weeks ago. So far no problems out of mine. Love driving it every day, and you will learn a ton on this forum. Welcome!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I literally just got rid of my 2021 Willys with 250 miles on it today due to corrosion on 5 door hinges and one on the hood I dumped it ASAP for a 4Runner it’s a rust bucket I will not deal with a corporation that refuses to install aluminum doors correctly no new vehicle should have any paint issues the quality is garbage. It was my first and last FCA product very disappointed I do not want to deal with paint shops over and over again on a car that was driven 250 miles buyer beware google JL door hing corrosion. FCA sucks I’m sticking with quality. The corrosion happened extremely quickly it wasn’t there when I bought it. Very disappointed FCA fix your issues idiots.
Ha, I went the other way: I owned a 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road for six months. It felt well put together and was decent off-road, but that was it.

Modding a Toyota can be a nightmare. I couldn’t even lift the truck without risking screwing up all the forward collision sensors and electronics. The maximum tire size I could fit was 31 inches.

The truck was atrocious on road: the engine was unrefined and anemic, and the automatic transmission was calibrated by a flunky from the Class of 1979. The interior was a collection of switches from 20-year old Corollas and the navigation had the resolution of a 1980s Atari. The driving position is so close to the floor it felt like I was in a beach folding chair.

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy’s Unlimited
Ha, I went the other way: I owned a 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road for six months. It felt well put together and was decent off-road, but that was it.

Modding a Toyota can be a nightmare. I couldn’t even lift the truck without risking screwing up all the forward collision sensors and electronics. The maximum tire size I could fit was 31 inches.

The truck was atrocious on road: the engine was unrefined and anemic, and the automatic transmission was calibrated by a flunky from the Class of 1979. The interior was a collection of switches from 20-year old Corollas and the navigation had the resolution of a 1980s Atari. The driving position is so close to the floor it felt like I was in a beach folding chair.
Yes the Tacoma is a different beast than the 4Runner I just couldn’t keep that Willys with so many issues right out of the gate that were not there on the lot to risky long term my first and last jeep. Fiat sucks.

ranman

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You are likely to experience corrosion issues on the door and or hood hinges. The driver's door may end up clicking when opening and closing. The vehicle may wander along the road. The fuses will be loose. You may experience cracked windshields. The front defrost will be wonky. You will hear wind noise. You may have dash cluster or radio issues. The dealership will overfill the oil.
FCA is not concerned at all because like most of us here, you will love your JL!
Sponsored

Last edited: