First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
People have different plans for how they plan to use and modify their Jeeps. 4xe isn't a great platform for heavier modifications. The biggest example is re-gearing. The computer in the 4xe won't accept re-gearing past some threshold - I think it's 4.30 but could be mistaken.

There are some youtubes of folks doing 4xe Rubicon crawling. Throttle control is problematic; basically you have to engage the 4xe's crawl-control mode (not sure what it's called) to creep over difficult obstacles.
The 4xe has hardcoded gearing limited to 4.5, so 4.56 gears would be OK. 4.88 or 5.13's cannot be corrected. So, if you plan to go to 40inch tires, choose something else.

I've found that throttle response when crawling in electric mode is smooth, but when the engine fires up it's a little harder to properly control the torque. I think this is more due to the turbo 4 than the integration with the electric motor. The V6 was silky smooth but limited in power while the turbo 4 had significantly more power, but also typical turbo lag. I love my 4xe, but for a serious, dedicated rock crawler, I'd suggest going with the normally aspirated V6 or V8. The 4xe is heavy, too, about 1 large passenger (200Lbs) over the 392. For a daily driver, the 4xe really shines due to the extra power from the electric motor and potential to save gas if charged daily and driven shorter distances.

I ordered my 4xe back in Nov of 2020; received it in May of 21 and received the $7500 tax credit this year.
Sponsored

rymanrph

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ
I know this doesn't matter much as far as the drivetrain goes, but I didn't like the fact that the back seat doesn't fold flat with the cargo area because of the batteries under the seat.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I know this doesn't matter much as far as the drivetrain goes, but I didn't like the fact that the back seat doesn't fold flat with the cargo area because of the batteries under the seat.

Yea forces me to be nice to the wife, cause if she kick me out I can't sleep in the back of the Wrangler.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I’m at about 22k on my 21 and no regrets here. Got my $7,500 tax credit with no issue

Sponsored

Andy@AAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 4XE, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
UxS Engineer
Just under 3k miles on mine in 2 months but I love it so far. I thought I would need the L2 EVSE but the included one works fine for overnight charging. I use a half tank of fuel per month and added about $35 to my electric bill. On long trips Ive averaged 22.5 mpg.
Who cares about MPG though?

Best feature is putting it into 4auto and stomping the go pedal from a stop. Works especially well with an unsuspecting passenger. A wrangler should not be able to do that…

Panda Mafia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I’m at about 22k on my 21 and no regrets here. Got my $7,500 tax credit with no issue
not sure if Canada gets the tax credit but regardless, 0 regrets. 6months old with 13k km so far. Love the thing.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
I do a lot of driving. About 1,500 miles a month, or so. Would probably only be able to Charge at night. Does getting a 4xe make sense? Presently seeing 17-18 mpg on my current 3.6 … Anyway, just a thought & curious. Thx

Last edited:

Sponsored

OC4XElectricon

First Name
Joshua Balos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4XE
People have different plans for how they plan to use and modify their Jeeps. 4xe isn't a great platform for heavier modifications. The biggest example is re-gearing. The computer in the 4xe won't accept re-gearing past some threshold - I think it's 4.30 but could be mistaken.

There are some youtubes of folks doing 4xe Rubicon crawling. Throttle control is problematic; basically you have to engage the 4xe's crawl-control mode (not sure what it's called) to creep over difficult obstacles.

All these things came out while I was shopping for a new Wrangler that I thought would be a 4xe, and I ended up ordering a conventional powertrain Rubicon instead.

Your daily driving plans seem like a good match for the 4xe.

If you were just gonna go with a Mopar Lift and 35s and call it a day, you should be good to go.
I’ve had zero issues rock crawling my 4XE in Moab, Southern Utah, Arizona, and California. I have not experienced anything problematic with throttle control. My 4XE is lifted on 37s, I don’t know if the YouTubers were rock crawling stock, but my current setup does amazingly well offroad.
Jeep Wrangler JL Thinking of a 4xe any regrets 23A35C18-47BF-4149-B5F4-CDC3956E35E2
Jeep Wrangler JL Thinking of a 4xe any regrets CB0E3B5C-F0B1-40DD-89FF-E5BEF42F4DEC

OC4XElectricon

First Name
Joshua Balos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4XE
I’ve had my 4XE since July 2021. 14k miles on it with plenty of trail time. It works out great for me because I’m only 6 miles from work, and the state and local tax credits gave me another $9000 in my bank. The deal I got gave me invoice pricing, plus the combined state and federal tax credit, essentially brought the cost down to about the same as a base JLUR 3.6. The only negative, as others have said, is that it cannot be re-geared above 4.50 yet. I’m hoping a company will crack the code in the future because I would like to upgrade to Dana 60s front and rear with 40” Baja Boss MT tires.

Last edited:

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I do a lot of driving. About 1,500 miles a month, or so. Would probably only be able to Charge at night. Does getting a 4xe make sense? Presently seeing 17-18 mpg on my current 3.6 … Anyway, just a thought & curious. Thx
I do around 1,500 miles a month, however it's mostly 10 - 15 mile round trips, so I top up everytime I get the chance, if it's going to be a 20 mile plus round trip I'll fiddle around with e-save, so it all depends how the 1,500 is driven and if your goal is saving money at the pump, then you need to calculate cost of charging vs cost of gas.

But pretty much if the vast majority of your round trips are over 20 miles, you most likely will not benefit savings wise.

Jorgesoto1948

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler 4XE HIGH ALTITUDE
I have a Jeep Wrangler 4XE high alt in black that I currently have in production soon. It should be done in 4 weeks or so. Let me know if your interested, I decided to go with a BMW instead

Andy@AAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 4XE, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
UxS Engineer
I will say this vehicle needs a garage. Having a secure charging location is nice, but also a secure place to park when the doors and/or top are off. My previous LJ was a PITA because I had to park outside so I constantly had to put the top up if the weather wasn’t cooperating. Also, a damned cat pissed on my carpet one night while it was parked in the driveway. Jeeps need garages.
Sponsored