Sponsored

Thinking about trading my 3.6 for the Diesel. Extra maintenance steps and costs?

Billet2019

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crawlzone207.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon, 2019 Jeep JLUR & 2013 JKR
As the title says, I'm thinking about it....
I would like to know the maintenance costs and extra steps you have to take in order to service the diesel engine. I have never owned one before.
Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Check out the diesejl youtube channel. He broke it down by excel spreadsheet.

When I bought mine, I was between the diesel and 3.6. At the end of the day, the two biggest things that made me choose the 3.6 was that parts are easily available for it, tons of knowledge if stuck on the trail, lots of local shops that can work on gas, and the availability of gas everywhere, as long as pipelines stay up.

I still sometimes wished I went with the diesel, but overall, I'm happy with what I chose.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I’m still in the Jeep wave oil changes so I’m not sure how much that cost. But you need to change the fuel filter and add DEF. that’s pretty much all the extra maintenance. DEF is cheap. Fuel filters are still expensive but the aftermarket will hopefully fix that. I still haven’t found an air filter for the diesel wrangler.

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I don't own one but I've researched them a lot. Oil change every 10k or less no exceptions. Top off DEF 2 or 3 times a year, drain water from fuel filter every oil change and replace it the filter every 2 years. Drive it a lot so it completes regens and DEF doesn't get old and crystallized.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Haven't had a diesel Jeep but many diesel trucks, maintenance is exponentially more expensive. Not to mention a failed fuel pump, water in the fuel or filter usually destroys the motor (at least from my past world). Learn to do all the maintenance yourself. If somehow the Jeep only needs to refil DEF 2-3 times a year I'm shocked, DEF fill ups are based on mileage and regen so I guess you really aren't driving it if you keep it that low.

Not sure the Jeep is the same but failed EGT sensor (due to regen heat) can put a motor in limp-mode at any time.

And if you're in Maine, you might want a block heater because diesels can get problematic in really cold stretches, even with modern glowplugs.

Guess a question is 'why' would you want a diesel? The frame can't tow anymore with a diesel which is the primary reason you'd get that motor in most other vehicles.

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Regens are mostly unnoticeable. Def seemed to be more frequent in the first 6000 miles. Don’t know if it is breaking in or learning, but I don’t have to put much in now. Fuel usually cost more than 87, sometimes less. But I can get 30mpg on 37s highway. Keeping the speed low of course. Overall mileage will settle in the low to mid 20s.
This is my third diesel Jeep. Two Grands one wrangler. The 07 sucked the 15 was awesome. Loving the JLURD too.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I don't own one but I've researched them a lot. Oil change every 10k or less no exceptions. Top off DEF 2 or 3 times a year, drain water from fuel filter every oil change and replace it the filter every 2 years. Drive it a lot so it completes regens and DEF doesn't get old and crystallized.
DEF crystallizes due to evaporation, not because of age.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had a 3.0 GC and loved it, however the maintenance costs were dreadful. I wanted a 3.0 but ended up with a 3.6. Looking at trading now........yeah most folks are never happy.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I had a 3.0 GC and loved it, however the maintenance costs were dreadful. I wanted a 3.0 but ended up with a 3.6. Looking at trading now........yeah most folks are never happy.
I really liked my WK2 GC diesel. I lifted it and 33s (275 18). I can’t remember 70 or 75 series tires. I had 1 1/2 inch wheel spacers and JK Sahara wheels. 17s would not fit over the brakes. I hammered the pinch weld to avoid rubbing. Traded the GC with about 90k flawless miles. Only because the JLURD was coming out. The GC got good economy too. We went on vacation from Charlotte to Hilton head, drove around, went to Savanna and didn’t put fuel in until we were leaving. I really don’t want a gasoline Jeep.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Maintenance is cheap if you are smart and do it yourself.. if you are one of those who takes his jeep to the dealership then yeah they will charge you allot!

Oil filter i found for $50, and the oil i found for $30 or so a jug.. thats $140 per oil change, and you do it between 7K and 10K miles. (compared to $60 for a gas engine) is that a deal breaker for you? For me thats laughable because the diesel engine makes the other 3 engine look like lawn mowers lol

The fuel pump CAN fail and destroy this turbo diesel like it does on the cummins BUT.. The cummins needs allot more pressure so its easier for the pump to fail around 150K or so.. in the Jeep? It will probably last double that.. They are working on stronger replacements that wont kill the engine when they fail. I wouldn't worry about it

Draining the water is free.. you loosen couple screws every 10k miles.. i wouldn't worry about it

DEF is cheap at Walmart, you add every 6K miles. I wouldn't worry about it

Not if, but when the tunes come out.. (the ECU is already cracked..) the prediction is that, tuning this turbo diesel will give +80 toque, +~50 HP, +~5MPG, +350K mile engine life.. But i wouldn't worry about it, because its a beast as it is!

A stock rubicon gets 26 MPG!
My rubicon has a full size roof rack, rooftop tent and heavy sliders.. Gets 24.5 MPG! the diesel doesn't care to much about weight or wind resistance.. it loves to work!

Jeep Wrangler JL Thinking about trading my 3.6 for the Diesel. Extra maintenance steps and costs? 1623908623287

Choose wisely :)

Sponsored

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I just traded a 2018 JLUR with a 3.6 in for a 2021 JLURD. I only have 300 miles on the diesel, but so far I am glad I did it.

Great power. Great mileage. Great range on a tank of gas.

For the most part I just use my Jeep as a daily driver and take it on trips to shooting competitions where some ranges require 4 wheel drive. I look forward to the decent mileage I will get with my new Jeep while continuing to have an awesome off road vehicle when I get there.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
As Ted a diesel will cost a bit more to maintain. Torque is great, and pump DEF is cheap. With that said, the key thing is how do YOU drive? Mostly short haul trips of just a couple miles? Mostly 15+ mile trips with highway driving included? In the latter case, diesel is great. For the former, not so much. Diesel’s are “heat” engines. They need to get nice and warm and run that way for a bit. Short haul only almost guarantees you’ll have issues with the emissions system on newer “clean” diesels. My Son purchased a new Gladiator. Knowing I’m a huge diesel fan he asked “which engine Dad, gas or diesel? Knowing his average drive is 3 1/2 miles each way to the base and local running I said go with the V6…He’s been very satisfied and had no issues. Look at YOUR use and then decide,

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I’m a huge diesel fan owning several Chevy’s and VW’s but was skeptical of Jeep’s motor until I see it out for awhile.
Don’t forget the price of Diesel typically runs higher than RUG so the 4-6 MPG advantage can end up being a wash to the pocketbook.

Caseman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for jeep
As Ted a diesel will cost a bit more to maintain. Torque is great, and pump DEF is cheap. With that said, the key thing is how do YOU drive? Mostly short haul trips of just a couple miles? Mostly 15+ mile trips with highway driving included? In the latter case, diesel is great. For the former, not so much. Diesel’s are “heat” engines. They need to get nice and warm and run that way for a bit. Short haul only almost guarantees you’ll have issues with the emissions system on newer “clean” diesels. My Son purchased a new Gladiator. Knowing I’m a huge diesel fan he asked “which engine Dad, gas or diesel? Knowing his average drive is 3 1/2 miles each way to the base and local running I said go with the V6…He’s been very satisfied and had no issues. Look at YOUR use and then decide,
so which V6 did he go with?

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
…pump DEF is cheap…
Another reason to buy your DEF at the pump: I had DEF crystallize in the tank of my Cummins. The service manager told me to get the DEF from the pump in the future because bottled DEF isn’t typically stored properly. It can sit in a hot warehouse for months before use, which breaks it down quicker. DEF at the pump is stored under regulated conditions and is used more quickly.
Sponsored