Sponsored

Think twice before buying a 4xe

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
Resale value was one of the things I considered before buying the Wrangler 4xe, as it is I'm easily saving $400 a month not buying gas, and I mostly charge for free. If I paid for charging it would cost me $100 a month vs $400 I paid in gas for the 2018 JL.

So I'm saving minimum $4,000 a year

Also the handling and performance of the 4xe is significantly better than the 3.6 and 2.0, never driven the diesel or 392 to comment on those.

After close to a year driving the 4xe, it would be impossible for me to go back to the anemic ICE Wranglers.
That’s good information and awesome that you are enjoying your Jeep, as that is the most important thing 👍

As far as the money you’re saving on gas, the first large portion of that, maybe first couple of years, is negated by the premium you paid over the cost of a non 4xe. And many people may not be able to share you’re unique situation of mostly free charging or never having to buy gas, so savings would be even less. Note: Probably better if you DO use that fuel in your tank occasionally because old gas doesn’t play nice with fuel injectors, sensors, and other components.

I agree that the short torquey burst off the line and when you first smash the pedal does give the 4xe a little more lively feeling that the 3.6 or 2.0, but I think the 3.6 sounds way better than the 2.0 or the 4xe when accelerating and that is part of the driving experience for many.

I work mostly internationally and my job currently has me assigned in Israel for last 5 years. Taxis take me everywhere. What I notice with hybrids is that the Mercedes and Toyotas seem to work very nicely, however most other brands are “quirky/jerky” when transitioning back and forth from ICE to Electric. Taxi drivers tell me that the country is pushing hybrids very hard but they personally don’t like them and have many issues.

Aaaaaaand…. You still haven’t sold it yet so you have no clue what you’re going to experience for RESALE, which is still my main point😉. I suggest selling it while there’s still a bit of warranty on it as that is the only way many would consider buying it and probably at a nice discount.

Like I said initially, it’s good that you are having a positive experience and enjoying it👍 🍻

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
That’s good information and awesome that you are enjoying your Jeep, as that is the most important thing 👍

As far as the money you’re saving on gas, the first large portion of that, maybe first couple of years, is negated by the premium you paid over the cost of a non 4xe. And many people may not be able to share you’re unique situation of mostly free charging or never having to buy gas, so savings would be even less. Note: Probably better if you DO use that fuel in your tank occasionally because old gas doesn’t play nice with fuel injectors, sensors, and other components.

I agree that the short torquey burst off the line and when you first smash the pedal does give the 4xe a little more lively feeling that the 3.6 or 2.0, but I think the 3.6 sounds way better than the 2.0 or the 4xe when accelerating and that is part of the driving experience for many.

I work mostly internationally and my job currently has me assigned in Israel for last 5 years. Taxis take me everywhere. What I notice with hybrids is that the Mercedes and Toyotas seem to work very nicely, however most other brands are “quirky/jerky” when transitioning back and forth from ICE to Electric. Taxi drivers tell me that the country is pushing hybrids very hard but they personally don’t like them and have many issues.

Aaaaaaand…. You still haven’t sold it yet so you have no clue what you’re going to experience for RESALE, which is still my main point😉. I suggest selling it while there’s still a bit of warranty on it as that is the only way many would consider buying it and probably at a nice discount.

Like I said initially, it’s good that you are having a positive experience and enjoying it👍 🍻
I'm in Toronto, Canada, there was no price difference between a similarly equipped ICE Sahara and the 4xe. Use the build on the website and see it for yourself.

Resale value isn't such a big concern for me, since I buy a Wrangler because I enjoy driving them, resale is just a nice bonus if it is there, the 4xe means I am not paying the huge gas bill I had been paying for the last 3 decades. As for resale people can always buy a "better" vehicle like a Mercedes and get piss poor resale.

And like I said the 4xe Wrangler has superior handling over an anemic ICE version. The cornering in a 4xe Wrangler is truly amazing, Usually once a week I open up the throttle for some real fun, the real fun of the 4xe is when the gas and the electric motors are fired up. For the more mundane city driving, cheap electric is the way to go for me.

Quirky/jerky is most likely how I would have described the 3.6 ESS JL I had before the 4xe, that ESS was the only thing I hated with that Wrangler.

Talking about driving experience, you ever hear that ESS in action at a stop light, speaking of Mercedes, their ESS is also horrible sounding, seeing a nice and expensive German car crank back to life, is like watching doberman coughing.

The common theme here is, it seems the vast majority of negative views of the 4xe comes from non 4xe owners, and will nit pick at anything to justify not having one.

Sponsored

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in Toronto, Canada, there was no price difference between a similarly equipped ICE Sahara and the 4xe. Use the build on the website and see it for yourself.

Resale value isn't such a big concern for me, since I buy a Wrangler because I enjoy driving them, resale is just a nice bonus if it is there, the 4xe means I am not paying the huge gas bill I had been paying for the last 3 decades. As for resale people can always buy a "better" vehicle like a Mercedes and get piss poor resale.

And like I said the 4xe Wrangler has superior handling over an anemic ICE version. The cornering in a 4xe Wrangler is truly amazing, Usually once a week I open up the throttle for some real fun, the real fun of the 4xe is when the gas and the electric motors are fired up. For the more mundane city driving, cheap electric is the way to go for me.

Quirky/jerky is most likely how I would have described the 3.6 ESS JL I had before the 4xe, that ESS was the only thing I hated with that Wrangler.

Talking about driving experience, you ever hear that ESS in action at a stop light, speaking of Mercedes, their ESS is also horrible sounding, seeing a nice and expensive German car crank back to life, is like watching doberman coughing.

The common theme here is, it seems the vast majority of negative views of the 4xe comes from non 4xe owners, and will nit pick at anything to justify not having one.

It’s good that resale isn’t an issue for you, but it is for many and that still does not moot my point that resale value will be low on the 4xe and most hybrids. Not picking on you and your 4xe specifically, so apologies if you were offended. I am just responding to a thread that the OP is giving general warning to anyone considering purchasing a 4xe 🍻

I was not referring to the ESS systems as ALL of those suck, regardless of manufacturer 😂 I was referring to hybrid systems similar to the 4xe. Of those systems I’ve seen traveling in Germany, Norway and the Middle East, the Mercedes and Toyota systems work very smoothly. The rest are “quirky/jerky”. I’m not picking on 4xe only… I’m referring to ALL manufacturers hybrids. Best for resale value will either be full ICE or full EV.

We test drove a 4xe. My wife said “that felt like a golf cart”…”Snaps your head back for a split second but then acceleration kind of fades”. That was my sentiment as well. Neither of us cared for the funky sound of the engine either 🥸 However, we did like the “super quiet” when cruising at lower speeds in Electric mode and I can appreciate why people like off-roading in that quiet mode! Peaceful nature crawl😉. We never intended to buy a 4xe, but wanted to test drive it anyway before ordering a 392 XR. This will be our “fun” vehicle (replacing our C7 Vette) and we wanted the “max fun Wrangler” Jeep had to offer💪😎. I have been wrong on many occasions, but we think the 392 will hold its value well!!!

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Snaps your head back for a split second but then acceleration kind of fades

It is very obvious that you are lying, and most likely haven't driven a 4xe, it seems you are reading nonsense from other one off anti 4xe posters, and regurgitating.

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Snaps your head back for a split second but then acceleration kind of fades

It is very obvious that you are lying, and most likely haven't driven a 4xe, it seems you are reading nonsense from other one off anti 4xe posters, and regurgitating.
Sorry, not lying and am sorry if I hurt your feelings. I have driven full EVs and their acceleration is excellent! 4xe pulls hard for the first few seconds and then levels out. My C7 2016 Z51 Vette was 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. My 2018 ZL1 (10 speed) was 0-60 in 3.5. The 4xe felt NOTHING like that. Granted, I have not driven a 392 yet, however seeing the results of 392 XRs pushing 3.9 secs 0-60 gives me confidence that it will be a blast!

My wife’s 2017 maxima is 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, which is 0.5 sec quicker than the 4xe, and the maxima barely feels sporty😉

Chubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Sorry, not lying and am sorry if I hurt your feelings. I have driven full EVs and their acceleration is excellent! 4xe pulls hard for the first few seconds and then levels out. My C7 2016 Z51 Vette was 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. My 2018 ZL1 (10 speed) was 0-60 in 3.5. The 4xe felt NOTHING like that. Granted, I have not driven a 392 yet, however seeing the results of 392 XRs pushing 3.9 secs 0-60 gives me confidence that it will be a blast!

My wife’s 2017 maxima is 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, which is 0.5 sec quicker than the 4xe, and the maxima barely feels sporty😉
Trying to understand why you're even in this forum. Seems like you're wasting your time as you clearly don't like the 4xe. And trying to get others to share that opinion is probably not a good strategy. Kinda like going into a 392 based forum only to spout theories or junk. It's not contributing anything to the group.

Sponsored

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave

Short torquey burst?? I guess you haven't ever ridden in a 4xe. Its fast. Plain and simple. Much faster than a 2.0 or 3.6. In every way, at all times, by every measure.

It makes more power off idle than a 392 and exactly the same amount of torque. With a terminal speed in the mid 90s in the quarter mile, its not just a "short burst". It pulls.

Uh. . you are comparing the 4xe to a bunch of normal cars.

Have you forgotten that the Wrangler Unlimited is a 5000 lb turd with the aerodynamics of a brick??

To judge the powertrain, you should be comparing it to other versions of the same vehicle with different powertrains..

Go drive a 3.6 after driving a 4xe. The 4xe has 100 more HP and 200 more ft-lbs of torque.

Nobody is saying that the 4xe Wrangler is some amazing accelerating vehicle.

They are saying that its an amazing accelerating Jeep. Actually the second quickest Jeep Wrangler ever made.

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL tl;dr for those just joining us: @Ten4Jeep is REALLY excited about his upcoming 392 and wants to make sure we all know it. Also apparently his wife drives an old Maxima. 🤷‍♂️
😜 awesome and spot on😂😂. The maxima is what we’re trading on the 392 since she has retired and we won’t need three vehicles anymore.

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trying to understand why you're even in this forum. Seems like you're wasting your time as you clearly don't like the 4xe. And trying to get others to share that opinion is probably not a good strategy. Kinda like going into a 392 based forum only to spout theories or junk. It's not contributing anything to the group.
Apologies! I definitely strayed from my point of lower resale value and I’m embarrassed for my posturing comments. I guess I got competitive when my comments were challenged. And you are correct, I’m looking back objectively at my comments and they certainly aren’t bringing much value 🥸 that wasn’t my intention✌

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I don’t think this has been said here but if so, sorry. I was rather shocked to see when looking at a 4xe this weekend that, because of the batteries, you can’t fold down the backseats. I have liked the 4xe but this alone would send me elsewhere. One of the main purposes of SUVs, not just Jeeps, is to have a lot of room in the back if needed. Can’t do it with the 4xe.
yup, I saw that when I test drove a gorgeous snazberry apple fully loaded 4xe. Plus, FCA is not known for their stellar electronic reliability so buying a first gen hybrid from them was a concern for me. I went the simple route and saved myself $12K instead and I'm very happy with my decision.

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Short torquey burst?? I guess you haven't ever ridden in a 4xe. Its fast. Plain and simple. Much faster than a 2.0 or 3.6. In every way, at all times, by every measure.

It makes more power off idle than a 392 and exactly the same amount of torque. With a terminal speed in the mid 90s in the quarter mile, its not just a "short burst". It pulls.

Uh. . you are comparing the 4xe to a bunch of normal cars.

Have you forgotten that the Wrangler Unlimited is a 5000 lb turd with the aerodynamics of a brick??

To judge the powertrain, you should be comparing it to other versions of the same vehicle with different powertrains..

Go drive a 3.6 after driving a 4xe. The 4xe has 100 more HP and 200 more ft-lbs of torque.

Nobody is saying that the 4xe Wrangler is some amazing accelerating vehicle.

They are saying that its an amazing accelerating Jeep. Actually the second quickest Jeep Wrangler ever made.
You are correct, I did not ride in one… I drove it 😉. And from what I’m used to, it was not fast. 0-60 ~6 sec and 1/4 ~15 sec is not fast. But for a Wrangler it is!

2nd fastest Wrangler? Sure is… but a hefty margin between it and the fastest wrangler😉. With the 0-60 times of 3.6 and 2.0 being .8 and .5 seconds slower than 4xe respectively, not much of a margin there.

Apologies if I offended you in any way as that was not my intent and I clearly see I veered from my original point pertaining to value. ✌
Sponsored