Sponsored

Think twice before buying a 4xe

15 Pieces of Rick Flair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla 3
They kept bumping up the price till they outbid my willingness to buy a 1st gen of this tech. Now I’m trying my hardest to put in an order for an ICE Wrangler. I’ll let others test the tech, the Wrangler I get should hold its value fairly well till the full EV Wrangler has a year or two to get the bugs ironed out. Sorry you’re having a go of it.
Sponsored

Egralia

First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys
There are probably only few techs that are trained to fix any hybrid vehicle do to the high voltage system.
The dealer that i work at the turn around for any hybrid or full electric is about a week to two weeks if not busy.

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Did Jeep offer you a loaner? I'd argue that this is one of the biggest Jeep issues.
I'm with other people on this thread - there are parts delays and shortages nationwide that are causing problems. The way Jeep handles servicing seems bad.
My buddy has an 18th month old Grand Cherokee and the A/C doesn't work. The three local NJ locations can't touch it til mid December.
If they put you in another Jeep while you waited (like most other manufacturers seem to do) it'd be half bad waiting for them to solve the issues.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Move along everybody, nothing to see here...

The first post from this individual and it's a "don't buy" - sigh?!?

Many happy 4xe owners, including myself.

Now why did I bother to respond to this post? Dang, sucked in again. 🤓 :swear:
Hello Ollie, Unfortunately this is a trend with forums in regards to any vehicle. A Jeep Wrangler is not like a Harley or KTM where you actually see the documentation or vehicles broken down on the side of the road or trail.

Anything mechanical has a chance of breaking down and having parts fail. I think Jean Pierre is more upset at the wait to repair the vehicle. That is not just "forum rumor". Parts shortages are a real issue for everything manufactured. Thus a day or two repair turns into a nightmare to source the parts.

Good news for most Wrangler models is the aftermarket supply can keep these rigs up and running when something common breaks on the trail such as tie rods, axles, control arms, steering boxes etc.

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
Can we start a thread for 4XE owners who have had no problems or are happy with their purchase? 😁 I see the 5,000 mile thread but many don’t have that number of miles yet. This sub forum is really discouraging for a new 4XE owner. We need some more 4XE love in this sub forum.

Sponsored

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
There is a recall because in some circumstances the jeep would operate with the gas engine only : https://www.chrysler.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/ca_en/Y46.pdf. I bought mine 5 month ago. It now runs on electric mode only with limited autonomy. My dealer says i twill take 3 weeks to fix. Really not a good buy!
Take it from someone who had one of the first BMW i3s, and one of the first Tesla Model 3s... being an early adopter on new tech comes with 3 certainties:

1) Dealers will have a lack of staff trained to fix these units
2) There will be a wait for parts (made worse by current supply chain disruptions)
3) There will be more gremlins than a "normal" powertrain

These things will smooth out in years 2, 3, etc., making life progressively easier for those who bought year 1. Buying into the first year brings these risks, but it also brings a certain joy of nerding out on the cutting edge. I've taken these risks 3 times now and while my cars haven't always been trouble-free the rewards have been worth it to me.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
It sucks to have issues with your new car at any time, and it really really sucks in 2021 because parts availability is terrible and Jeep/STLA (and most other manufacturers, I'd bet) have prioritized making and delivering new vehicles over keeping the repair parts channel full. Rightly or wrongly, that's the situation we're all in now.

-----

Two notes for any prospective buyers who might find this thread:

- The plural of anecdote is not data. We do not have any data about the reliability of the 4xe -- we don't know how many have sold, how many have had issues, or really anything. Nor will we ever, unless it's spectacularly bad, bad enough for a government investigation.

- Forum posts are biased toward those with issues, and there are people who exaggerate/dramatize issues and numbers, or straight up make things up... so as always -- read what you find on the internet with a healthy dose of skepticism. (Note that this latter is not directed at anyone in particular, just generally.)

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Ollie, Unfortunately this is a trend with forums in regards to any vehicle. A Jeep Wrangler is not like a Harley or KTM where you actually see the documentation or vehicles broken down on the side of the road or trail.

Anything mechanical has a chance of breaking down and having parts fail. I think Jean Pierre is more upset at the wait to repair the vehicle. That is not just "forum rumor". Parts shortages are a real issue for everything manufactured. Thus a day or two repair turns into a nightmare to source the parts.

Good news for most Wrangler models is the aftermarket supply can keep these rigs up and running when something common breaks on the trail such as tie rods, axles, control arms, steering boxes etc.
Nicely stated Ollie.

Ollie

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Nicely stated Ollie.

Ollie
I might also add I would not hesitate to purchase a 4XE if I was in the market for one. I'm already thinking electric motorcycle if the manufacturers can make an off road version comparable to the short lived Alta that was out for a few years.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Recalls are part of the automotive industry, especially on 1st year runs of new designs. Look at the bronco tops for instance, or the Lexus/Toyota accelerator pedals that actually killed a few people years back. I avoid buying newley designed vehicles for this very well known fact. The manufacturers simply cannot recreate every possible condition in their testing and issues will slip through. Recalls are the way of addressing said issues en mass.
(Looking out at my ‘18 that had 6 recalls) … only one? Rookie …

Sponsored

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Which is why you never, ever, ever, ever buy a first year model. Just let the carmaker fix the little things that can go wrong and wait for it.

Some people absolutely need the new flavor of the month and that's fine. But recalls and funny things can always happen with a new model. Just let everybody else test drive it for you and buy the fixed version a couple of years later.

I, for one, will never buy any model that's not gone through at least one refresh. That being said, some carmakers are doing first year models on the dot from the get go, such as Toyota. But hey, even Honda, which is ironically known for reliability, had a s***load of troubles with their new engine, recently.

Buy it when it's well oiled and tested. Do yourself a favor.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
I agree that recalls are part of the business. However, a car going totally dead after only a few months is another issue.
It is also totally unreasonable to wait 3 weeks to get it fixed.

pffft.
I could make a similar post about not buying a Ford Ranger. You think 3 weeks is unreasonable? In March, I bought a 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4. Drove it for 4 months and put 7,100 miles on it. Then it went to the dealer for vibration issues. Turns out it was a defective drivers side rear axle. It spent 79 days at a the dealer waiting on repairs. Nothing high tech, it was a Dana axle. I got it back last week.

Lemon law starts at 30 days, I was at 79 days. I had a Toyota car rental provided to me and drove it long enough that I could use all the steering wheel controls by touch and never have to look down at them. I had a rental for over half the time I owned the top of the line Ranger.

I get it, your not happy. But a better thread title would have been “My Jeep 4xe ownership experience”.

And a Jeep is not a car.

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
Just sharing this article I found.
Not picking sides. I would consider one in the future once they work out the bugs.

Interesting article. The tank size and range is my concern.
Still think it is great that they made the 4xe.
Sponsored