Sponsored

Think They Will Eventually Offer Manual on the 2.0 Turbo?

boon4376

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5
I really want a manual transmission in my JL, but I also want the 2.0 turbo. I really love the feel of turbo engines. I'm actually rebuilding a 1973 CJ5 with a 2.3L turbo from a Saab 9000, and a Borg Warner t5 manual transmission.

I'm wondering if the 3.6 will be phased out as part of emissions and if they'll just make the 2.0L engine the base, with the MT option... but that's probably years away?

I had the 3.6 in my JK, and while it was decent, I really prefer the low-end pull of a turbo.

Honda has offered manual transmissions on its insight and cr-z models, so I don't think that would be a barrier with the new mild hybrid.
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
The 3.6 is scheduled to recieve the same BSG tech as in the 2.0. The same tech is going into the new Ram trucks, even on the Hemi. They arent phasing out the 3.6 anytime soon. And to your original question with the 2.0 and MT, i think the answer will be no. But then again, who knows.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
That 3.6 is in everything and they are actively improving it. I don't think it goes away. And if it doesn't i see no reason for them to pair the manual with anything else.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Does make you wonder why they wouldnt offer a manual with the 2.0t....its not like it has to be redesigned or anything to accomdate the transmission since the same current 8 speed gets paired with it....but who knows what the future holds and maybe they will offer it at some point if the motor is a huge success.

Agree with the others, I dont see the 3.6 going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited:

Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Does make you wonder why they wouldnt offer a manual with the 2.0t....its not like it has to be redesigned or anything to accomdate the transmission since the same current 8 speed gets paired with it....but who knows what the future holds and maybe they will offer it at some point if the motor is a huge success.

Agree with the others, I dont see the 3.6 going anywhere anytime soon.
That's a good point. It shouldn't be hard to pair the manual with the 2.0T. I wish they did cause I'd go that route.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That's a good point. It shouldn't be hard to pair the manual with the 2.0T. I wish they did cause I'd go that route.
Maybe its a sales thing or an upsell numbers thing? Just an uneducated guess really. I guess from Jeeps point of view because the 3.6 + manual combination is already the base configuration. If the customer "options up" to the 2.0t, they already exceeded baseline powerplant options so why let them downgrade back to a base transmission?

I could be completely wrong, and hopefully I am. Maybe they are just market testing the community waters (and physically the engine itself) for right now since it is a brand new motor.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Meh, I love turbo engines and I love manuals, but count me out. The BSG system on the 3.6 starting in 2019 will likely offer a very 'turbo-like' low end, without the turbo lag. The 6MT+turbo experience is OK in a sporty-ish car like my GTI, but the lag and non-linearity would be amplified in a 2+ ton vehicle with an off-road tuned chassis/powertrain. Losing boost between shifts just isn't conducive to smooth driving, especially with the huge gear ratio spread between 1->2 in the JL.

Not to mention, <20 MPG + premium gas is a painful combination. I know the 2.0t will run on regular, but if the engine benefits from higher octane, I can't make myself neuter it with cheap gas.

I'd much rather petition for a Hemi+6MT combination in the Wrangler!
Sponsored

Last edited: