Sponsored

Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
if you drive across nevada in 112 temperature while pulling a patriot tent trailer, by the time you get to st. george utah, the heat will have caused the rear locker to set a permanent error saying "service lockers". you will be unable to use the lockers in utah, or repair the problem, short of replacing the axles, which are not available.

there is a hack workaround for $175 per axle from Z Automototive.

that, and the fuel pump died 20 miles after leaving I-15. jeep would, imho, be a lot better if FCA didn't build or support it.
Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It has been a little toasty the past few weeks, around the valley we hit 116 but official reading are from the airport that is a little lower.

Blueeyedme

First Name
DanO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
...“topless season” does not apply to the part of Texas where I live unless you’re cool with arriving everywhere smelly, and drenched head to toe in sweat.
I hear you brother. Sent a pic to some Jeep friends up north. First thing they said was to take that top off. Where I live in Florida, not a chance, in fact I factory ordered with a hardtop because they are hard to find here. I got sucked in when I moved to FL 15 yrs ago. I thought it would be fun to have a convertible. I was wrong.

rvb

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
I have learned it was an absolute mistake in judgment to purchase my 2019 Moab. It has been in the shop constantly and items only get documented and never fixed. The dealerships simply kick the van down the road. Standard answer is “we identified the issue and documented it, we don’t know how to fix it and FCA has no solutions. I also learned at this point Jeep Care does nothing to help you. When you buy a JL you bought a car for $50k with no factory warranty. I’ve learned don’t buy anything from FCA.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Ive met several new jeepers that are asking ??s on basic mods like bumpers, lifts, etc...or other questions. I can’t tell you the # of people I’ve given the link to for this forum. Yet I’ve yet to see hardly any on here. They just want the info handed to them. :facepalm: Hope your direction has helped others!
Besides providing a link to this forum, I also give out the Wrangler Deals website for those who are looking to purchase and ask about possible pricing discounts. I joined the forum almost a year before I bought my JLUR. I found that link and saved $8000 compared to buying it locally. I have learned a ton more stuff from this forum and I am always amazed at how little homework some people do before a major purchase. I drive my family crazy with all my research, but we make an informed purchasing decision. I have spent a month figuring out which mesh top I will be buying (hint ... it is JTopsUSA) because they are so well engineered, but I used these forums to understand the things I wanted and cared about before making the decision.

Sponsored

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
It makes a ton of sense, until you see how much replacements are. I have a damaged side window (self-inflicted). It still works, so I'm not paying for a new window until it completely breaks, or I find a cheap replacement here or on Craigslist.

part numbers here:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/driver-side-tinted-window-jeep-wrangler-jl-4-door/black-twill-tint

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/p...jeep-wrangler-jl-4-door/black-twill-passenger
Ok nevermind, I will be maintaining these to the best of my abilities.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I hear you brother. Sent a pic to some Jeep friends up north. First thing they said was to take that top off. Where I live in Florida, not a chance, in fact I factory ordered with a hardtop because they are hard to find here. I got sucked in when I moved to FL 15 yrs ago. I thought it would be fun to have a convertible. I was wrong.
That is one massive advantage of Arizona in the summer, since it is a dry heat you barely sweat. You have to drink water through the day, but you are nice and dry when you arrive. I bought the dual tops and have the hard top back on right now, but will switch back to the soft top when the temps cool down and are consistently in the low to mid 90Ëš range.

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
I learned the hard way that FCAs Quality Control practices and customer service regarding frame & tracker bar welds, ESS/Steering and w12 clutch Issues leaves ahh, err, umm, let’s say something to be desired.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have learned it was an absolute mistake in judgment to purchase my 2019 Moab. It has been in the shop constantly and items only get documented and never fixed. The dealerships simply kick the van down the road. Standard answer is “we identified the issue and documented it, we don’t know how to fix it and FCA has no solutions. I also learned at this point Jeep Care does nothing to help you. When you buy a JL you bought a car for $50k with no factory warranty. I’ve learned don’t buy anything from FCA.
Sounds like Jeep customer service.

Care to elaborate what kind of issues you’ve been having that the dealer cannot fix?

rvb

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab

Care to elaborate what kind of issues you’ve been having that the dealer cannot fix?
Sos assist buttons do not work, proximity entry does not work, trans whine

sos and assist buttons do not work, loud high pitch whine in 1st and 2nd gear when accelerating or going uphill, loud clunk in drive train upon acceleration and de acceleration and slowing in to a turn, proximity entry does not work on drivers side. The paint is bubbling near hinges on all 4 doors and hood, they will fix that but will not warranty the repair said body shop will but will not provide any details regarding the paint work Asked for help from Jeep cares and they have not done anything.

Sponsored

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s one I learned last weekend: if I’m driving with the top down and doors out, inevitably a bee will land on my wife and she will flail her arms all nimbly bimbly and will throw her phone out the open window/door onto the highway. Expensive week.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sos assist buttons do not work, proximity entry does not work, trans whine

sos and assist buttons do not work, loud high pitch whine in 1st and 2nd gear when accelerating or going uphill, loud clunk in drive train upon acceleration and de acceleration and slowing in to a turn, proximity entry does not work on drivers side. The paint is bubbling near hinges on all 4 doors and hood, they will fix that but will not warranty the repair said body shop will but will not provide any details regarding the paint work Asked for help from Jeep cares and they have not done anything.
Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

After my 2009 JKUR with manual transmission got rear-ended and repaired, months later it developed a whine on 2nd, 4th and 6th gears. Turned out to be a bent transmission mount.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

something new i learned this week. dont panic when you install somthing an a new noise comes out of no where..... just relax, take a step back, and drink a 2oz glass of scotch. then go back and look at the most obvious thing you can think of that you touched. its almost always the thing you dont think about....

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Add me to the list of It was a mistake buying in the first place. Don't get me wrong the Platform is awesome. I loved the lifestyle it offers, the comradely of the Jeep Owners and its Off-Road abilities. But it really was (at least mine) a big pile of unreliable SHIT that had shitty highway manors.

Maybe if I could afford 2 vehicles ( daily driver and Fun Vehicle) I'd still have it.
Sponsored