Sponsored

Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I’ve learned how much I hate the words rig, wrench, and wheel. At least in the context that many “Jeep people” use them.
Sponsored

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
I have noticed that some people can be sensitive, but also don't handle sarcasm well either. The primary issue is that people have strong opinions and are will to share them, which is good. As an example, when people put on an angry grill and ask for opinions and then get upset when some people (informal poll shows 86.7%) don't like them.

Go on a Facebook group and watch the complete meltdowns over this exact issue. It devolves into almost a Neanderthal level of intelligence and reasoning, but I can't stop reading. I mean look at the images of this Gladiator is selling after determining they weren't a Jeep person. It is a train wreck beyond any known proportion and I can't help but wonder what the hell was going on in this persons head!!

D6E72F91-2981-4F62-93A2-3A9A9109D68C.jpeg

AC1FD031-19B0-4F96-B485-8A6CD770C25D.jpeg

IMG_9200.jpeg
That's some Zombie Apocalypse shit, right there. :surprised:

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
I learned that, too. My solution was a 3-4" drop receiver and my fold down-capable Kuat bike rack. Without the bikes on, I can open the rear door all the way (clears by about a 1/2 inch. Cheers!
I love my Kuat rack, but agree any hitch rack can be an issue for Jeeps. Most likely, you will need an extension, at a minimum, and some sort of swing away attachment to really make your life easier. I have been giving serious consideration to the Kuat Pivot, but the damn thing is almost as expensive as the rack. :(

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
As soon as you get your Jeep all nakkid, doors off, top off windshield down and get it super cleaned up. You will drive it one day and then have to put it all back on to head north and go camping and get it dirty again. I think I have about 20 hours into cleaning and detailing. Finished thursday morning. Painted diff skid plates touch up the frame and Jeep skids with black paint. waxed the fuck out of it detailed the whole thing so it was spotless. Take the Jeep to a car show and win best in class last night. This morning, doors, and top back on. Installed the Bestop Sunrider and pack the camper to head north to get dirty over the weekend. I am almost tempered to take th SBXJ and tent camp.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
In my eyes, driving around town with the top off, the doors off and the windshield folded down is almost as much fun as running the trails. I need to run trails with the Jeep nakkid, but I dread the two days of cleaning afterwards.
What is this thing you call "cleaning"? I am unfamiliar with your strange ways and customs...

Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I agree so much with this. Let's face it, for most people a jeep is not the most practical vehicle to own.
20 years ago I would have agreed with this (and 20 years ago I didn't have a Jeep - had a young kid, lived in a dense city, etc). But I think the practicality depends on what someone needs and how people mod their Jeep. I have a 2-door, removed the back seat as I never carry more than one passenger, and won't be doing a bunch of mods. But it does go off-road, just not extreme. I've used it to haul bags of mulch from HD, music gear, and household stuff during a move.

Two phenomenon that seem to play out here - one is that folks mod their Jeep to excel off-road, and that makes it far less practical as a daily driver. The other is that a stock Jeep is pretty competent off-road so if the Jeep works as a daily driver for someone (and JL with a hard top is pretty livable), it can work as a weekend fun vehicle as well - within reason.

The "within reason" part can be tricky. Hold my beer and watch this...

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have learned that doors off can be quite painful when on dirt/gravel at more than a crawling pace. Especially painful for kids in the back seats...

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
If you have the top down and tube doors on when you go to pick up a pizza, place said pizza on the passenger seat with the front of the box facing towards you. If you place it with the front facing the door or the dash, the wind will blow the lid open and the pizza will levitate like a UFO and then you'll be scraping toppings off the inside when you get home because you panic slammed the lid closed.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you have the top down and tube doors on when you go to pick up a pizza, place said pizza on the passenger seat with the front of the box facing towards you. If you place it with the front facing the door or the dash, the wind will blow the lid open and the pizza will levitate like a UFO and then you'll be scraping toppings off the inside when you get home because you panic slammed the lid closed.
Pizza places here have started sealing boxes with a sticker to demonstrate that nobody has touched your food during delivery - the idea being its sterile going in the box (from the oven) and too hot to get infected, then sealed before delivery.

As an added side benefit, it prevents this scenario.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Two phenomenon that seem to play out here - one is that folks mod their Jeep to excel off-road, and that makes it far less practical as a daily driver. The other is that a stock Jeep is pretty competent off-road so if the Jeep works as a daily driver for someone (and JL with a hard top is pretty livable), it can work as a weekend fun vehicle as well - within reason.
@nostatic,

Most wholeheartedly agree. My lifted with 35s Sport S is by far the best daily driver I've ever owned. Granted, my previous DD was a Dodge Grand Caravan that I personally put 300K miles on it. Had that for nearly 15 years. Thought I'd miss it, after a 16 year old on his phone decided to pull into traffic. If I hadn't swerved he'd be pushing daisies. Thankfully he hit me on the passenger quarter and no one got hurt. Totalled both vehicles, but everyone walked away with nothing more than bruises and really good luck for the both of us.

After driving a damn practical but very boring vehicle for a third of my driving life, I decided this can be potentially way too short to be driving anything other than something fun. A Jeep was the only thing I'd consider. Since I had to find a replacement in a hurry, I found this Sport S.

Drove it stock for about three months. Loved it. However, after adding the lift and 35s I love it now even better. I can take it nearly everywhere in my home state of Colorado. In fact I've been on trails that some say only Rubi's should go. Never been even close to getting stuck yet. Not that I'm looking forward to getting into a problem but I'm extremely happy I can go almost anywhere I care to point it. This not only includes most mountain trails but certainly everywhere around town.

Absolutely the best DD on the planet. Maybe not the most practical or fuel efficient (as you point out), but certainly the very best for me. Couldn't be any happier.

Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep. IMG_20200801_200022

Sponsored

EJH220

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Rubicon Recon / 20 Aviator / 22 Bronco Sport
As was stated before warm weather and treats don't mix. 100 degree heat index, our two daughters, the neighbors daughter and Dairy Queen make for a messy ending to a naked Jeep ride...

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
My lessons learned the hard way:

1. No mod happens as easily as YouTube makes it seem. There’s a crux to every mod, no matter how simple.

2. Jeep engineers sinisterly always use the one Torx and Hex bolt size that I’m lacking in my tool collection, causing me to drive the minivan to Lowes of Home Depot mid-install while my Jeep is torn apart in my driveway.

3. Every mod will cost you a little blood, usually of the scraped knuckles variety when the socket slips off the bolt head.

4. Jeep windshields kill more bugs than exterminators, and a gallon of windshield washer fluid disappears faster than a cheap glass of wine.

5. When you accidentally wave to other Jeeps while driving your wife’s minivan, nobody will wave back.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Always check multiple resources for weather updates if you are afraid of rain storms with your top off. To be honest though I got caught in a storm years ago in my JK with the top down and it was probably one of the most refreshing experiences I have ever had. No pun intended. It just had me smiling from ear to ear.
Sponsored