Sponsored

Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I escaped disaster yesterday. When you ask Alexa if it’s going to rain and she says, “no,” she doesn’t know what she’s talking about. I was going to drive my topless JL out to dinner last night, but saw lots of heavy grey clouds outside, so we took the wife’s JL (top on). Twenty minutes after arriving to dinner the rain came down in buckets. Don’t believe Alexa.
Always check the weather RADAR and assess how any rain is moving. Will it hit you or miss you?
Sponsored

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
I learned to use the NOAA Weather app. Warns of lightning strikes within whatever distance you set and seems very reliable.

Jeep Wrangler JL Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep. 07D22966-A067-41E0-A66A-E6462CF22E7F

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I learned to use the NOAA Weather app. Warns of lightning strikes within whatever distance you set and seems very reliable.

07D22966-A067-41E0-A66A-E6462CF22E7F.png
May need to download that, I've been using an open tab with radar on my phone and checking every half hour or so when I'm at work (at home I usually just check the windows periodically).

I learned the hard way on Monday, never cut the zip ties on your new floor mats while excited, under the influence and using a pocket knife - may end up stabbing the body of the shiny new vehicle you're placing the mats in. Wish me luck on my paint repair come Friday :CWL:

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Hi Ted, remember the days when it would have been a cold beer instead of a hot coffee while riding around with the top down.
I do remember those days. Those days the cops just made you pour out your beer or kept it for themselves.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
What have I learned since owning a jeep and joining this group?...….everything, I feel I know it all now. Anything you ever want to know about anything can be found right here. Wait, I still need to know how to understand a woman, that thread is 86,756,899 pages long....I'm still reading...
I see your almost through the index of that book.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I learned that I get bored.out.of.my.skull rock crawling for more than 20 minutes. It has nothing to do with fear of damage, it's just plain boring for me. The Rubicon trail is NOT on my bucket list... I would want the chopper to airlift me, or simply walk out. Somebody else please drive my Jeep out.

I was overlanding before overlanding was a word, before youtube was a thing, before Dometic was an idea, and that's what I like doing.

The most important thing I learned is restraint. I know what modifications I truly need for my wheeling adventures, and I tend to stick to that. There are many mods that absolutely look cool, and some are even quite functional. I've become good at not caring about mods that are not functional for me.

I plan to do mostly overlanding, but chasing badge trails has gotten in the way. I overland to the badge trails then run the harder trails. And the Rubicon trail is slow and primarily rock climbing, but if you do the whole trail, you do get to camp one or two nights on the trail. At 3 am, I removed the rain fly from the tent while camping out by the dam and was treated to one of the most amazing night sky I have seen. It was incredible.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Today I learned to simply never drink coffee out of an unsealed, styrofoam cup in a Jeep!
This is why I travel with a Yeti coffee container. Spills are never a worry.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Don't try to park a lifted jeep with the sunrider open in a garage...
It...does...not...fit... :facepalm:
The experience did however, give me some unique white stripes to my softop latches...
Harley-Davidson Road Glide laughs at lifted Jeep Wrangler.

Jeep Wrangler JL Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep. 4C962C04-689C-4535-AFD2-B136F66D1D23

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
With my JKU, went a little crazy with mods I never needed with dreams of off-roading. Realized I wouldn’t be flexing or crawling with my JLUR so being more restrained to more functional mods. Furthermore, with regards to tires/wheels, I leaned the hard way to go one size bigger (did it twice, stopped at 35s and then made my way to 37s). This time around, just budgeting to go to 37s (40s won’t happen because I want to park in my garage and fit under the parking deck at the mall :rock: :LOL: ). Also, learned the buy once cry once mentality when it comes to a suspension lift (I’ll be going with RK again over Mopar because I hated the Mopar lift and Fox shocks on my JKU).

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I’ve learned that it’s possible to build a Wrangler CJ or YJ from the ground up (with knowledge and garage tools) since all parts are available thru aftermarket.

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I have noticed that some people can be sensitive, but also don't handle sarcasm well either. The primary issue is that people have strong opinions and are will to share them, which is good. As an example, when people put on an angry grill and ask for opinions and then get upset when some people (informal poll shows 86.7%) don't like them.

Go on a Facebook group and watch the complete meltdowns over this exact issue. It devolves into almost a Neanderthal level of intelligence and reasoning, but I can't stop reading. I mean look at the images of this Gladiator is selling after determining they weren't a Jeep person. It is a train wreck beyond any known proportion and I can't help but wonder what the hell was going on in this persons head!!

D6E72F91-2981-4F62-93A2-3A9A9109D68C.jpeg

AC1FD031-19B0-4F96-B485-8A6CD770C25D.jpeg

IMG_9200.jpeg
I have some questions on where to get some of these mods.

Jeep Wrangler JL Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep. beautiful
Sponsored