Sponsored

Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep.

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
Ya know what really bugs me? One of those "drove into a crowd of protesters" pictures was a really nice bikini wrangler. Worse. I think that happened twice!

I hope they don't get a reputation for being the kinda vehicle that those kinda people drive. X_X It's funny because my other favorite car has a reputation of being a "drug dealer car" and it never really bothered me.
I got to drove into a crowd and instantly thought you were talking about a Mustang, then I read the rest and believe you have nothing to worry about because Mustang is the official "crowd control" vehicle of the automotive community.
Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I learned that no matter how much fun it was going topless through the summertime storm was (we were all laughing), or whose idea it was just go for it (it was hers), you will never ever live it down. She will remind you of “that time” with the most negative tone you have ever heard.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I learned that no matter how much fun it was going topless through the summertime storm was (we were all laughing), or whose idea it was just go for it (it was hers), you will never ever live it down. She will remind you of “that time” with the most negative tone you have ever heard.
I have been married for over 21 years and can verify this is a factual statement by Tank the Jeep. As the old saying goes "I don't remember all the mistakes I have made, there is no reason for both of us remembering"!

Luckily this only happens everyday as I seem to be unable to change and as a secondary root cause, I am married to a Marriage and Family Therapist. Basically she doesn't just remember my mistakes, she remembers what I said when I was making each individual mistake. When she asks if I remember what I said 11 years ago in some random event, I always remind her I don't know what I had for lunch three days ago ... so I have no idea what I might have said.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I've learned that more time spent on this forum and watching Jeep YouTube programs leads to large mod-peppered credit card bills :LOL:
TrailRecon needs to be arrested and deported, for untold harm and damage to finances and marriages LOL.

(but I need that!)

Sponsored

Hilaryl1983

First Name
Hilary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ocean blue Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I have noticed that some people can be sensitive, but also don't handle sarcasm well either. The primary issue is that people have strong opinions and are will to share them, which is good. As an example, when people put on an angry grill and ask for opinions and then get upset when some people (informal poll shows 86.7%) don't like them.

Go on a Facebook group and watch the complete meltdowns over this exact issue. It devolves into almost a Neanderthal level of intelligence and reasoning, but I can't stop reading. I mean look at the images of this Gladiator is selling after determining they weren't a Jeep person. It is a train wreck beyond any known proportion and I can't help but wonder what the hell was going on in this persons head!!

D6E72F91-2981-4F62-93A2-3A9A9109D68C.jpeg

AC1FD031-19B0-4F96-B485-8A6CD770C25D.jpeg

IMG_9200.jpeg
Hahahahha someone clearly went overboard with the mods. Gross lol

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed that some people can be sensitive, but also don't handle sarcasm well either. The primary issue is that people have strong opinions and are will to share them, which is good. As an example, when people put on an angry grill and ask for opinions and then get upset when some people (informal poll shows 86.7%) don't like them.

Go on a Facebook group and watch the complete meltdowns over this exact issue. It devolves into almost a Neanderthal level of intelligence and reasoning, but I can't stop reading. I mean look at the images of this Gladiator is selling after determining they weren't a Jeep person. It is a train wreck beyond any known proportion and I can't help but wonder what the hell was going on in this persons head!!

IMG_9200.jpeg
This Guy: Hello Amazon, send me everything you got for a Gladiator...the more Chinese the better.

Last edited:

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

IMG_9200.jpeg
Is this a new trim for the Gladiator, or did they add a few mods?

#mlharford

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited 4-door, white with black hardtop
I’ve learned that my general impression of Jeep owners as a group of hardy, rugged, manly men (not you ladies) before I owned a Jeep was all wrong, and that we are as a group much more sensitive to criticisms or perceived slights about our beloved Jeeps than most communities that love a particular vehicle. Jeep owners feelings get bruised like a grape if you point out any legitimate flaws of the Wrangler. I’m not affected by it (yet) and am learning to take it in stride.

Also that “topless season” does not apply to the part of Texas where I live unless you’re cool with arriving everywhere smelly, and drenched head to toe in sweat.
That also applies to Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi...

Reactions: OBD

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve learnt that having a new/shiny/clean Jeep is a mortal sin to the guys in the old/rusty/never been washed in it’s life Jeeps and that the penance for such is a lifetime of unreturned waves (or until your Jeep becomes old/scratched/covered in at least 54 varieties of mud from 17 different trails) & being tarnished as a “mall crawler”.

I’ve also learnt that the secret to mods AND a happy marriage is to take delivery of and install said mods while the spouse is at work / out hiking with friends and not say anything about it on any social media they have access to **.
** Applies once you’ve reached a certain threshold of mods/money spent (threshold may vary from spouse to spouse).

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I learned the hard way years ago what JEEP really stands for and it hold true to this day....Just Empty Ever Pocket
100% correct Age old wisdom bestowed upon me when I bought my first Jeep

Biggest thing I learned: A friend once told me "you're going to need to learn to work on this thing, or you're going to go broke in the process of owning it." He was right, and I'm glad I did because it was a gateway to a lot of opportunities. Mostly good ones.

Yesterday I learned the soft top/roof drains (??) right into the cabin depending on the angle of incline I am on, so today I am parked facing up the incline in the hope the rain simply does not drain into my cabin or onto my lap.
Had this happen today, but it was raining sideways so....double flow.

I go on to help newbies to Jeeps. I also almost always provide a link to this forum so they can get a higher quality of assistance and knowledge.

Regarding Facebook posts about "what do you think of this add-on", I read for pure entertainment.
Yep. I do the same. I just said this the other day: "With the right groups and the right people- Groups are the only way to use FB." Still one of the only reasons I'm on that dumpster fire of a platform.

I learned that every Jeep owner that claims his lifted rig with huge tires “rides and drives better than stock” is full of shit.
incorrect. This means you've never driven a Jeep with a properly engineered suspension lift, OR you've never driven a Jeep that had such a cobbled together, worn, or otherwise shit suspension that it was terrifying to drive. I've had the second, then turned it into the first.
This leads my to my second point of "what I learned":
The reason most people's lifted rigs handle like shit (outside of being a big ass brick and also false expectations of them to handle like a BMW or even a truck) is because Jeep people are notoriously cheap in the wrong spots. Sure, they'll spend $100 on all sorts of tactical mounts for all sorts of crap in their cab, and $3k on fancy wheels without blinking an eye, but suspension? PPSSsshh... $500-$1k max, and they'll screech about it the entire time. When they complain that it rides like shit, it's always:
-"I didn't want to change the stock geometry too much" (read: I half assed it)
-"I did my research and pieced together my own kit" (read: I jammed a bunch of crap together that wasn't meant to work together and now it doesn't work")
-"I spent a lot of money on this" (read: I didn't do my research and I've got more dollars than sense)
-"I'm not doing hardcore off roading"(read:" I'm too cheap and uninformed to care about how my vehicle handles because I'm more concerned about posing hard than having something that actually works right").

I’ve learnt that having a new/shiny/clean Jeep is a mortal sin to the guys in the old/rusty/never been washed in it’s life Jeeps and that the penance for such is a lifetime of unreturned waves (or until your Jeep becomes old/scratched/covered in at least 54 varieties of mud from 17 different trails) & being tarnished as a “mall crawler”.

I’ve also learnt that the secret to mods AND a happy marriage is to take delivery of and install said mods while the spouse is at work / out hiking with friends and not say anything about it on any social media they have access to **.
** Applies once you’ve reached a certain threshold of mods/money spent (threshold may vary from spouse to spouse).
To your first point: I've recently learned that most of this, is because you have a newer Jeep and they're either 1). Jealous or 2). threatened. Half of the web wheelers I see screaming "Built not bought" in different groups on social media and trashing the "newer Jeeps" (which is anything newer than their model) are just that- keyboard warriors. Half of them wouldn't attempt to follow the guys on this forum who do serious wheeling because "I don't want to wreck my Jeep" but they'll sit there and call a clean JK/JL a "mall crawler".

To your second point: THIS IS THE WAY (nods). I've also taken to anytime my wife complains/ asks about mods, I tell her "It's part of the Jeep fund. I budgeted for this." Bills are paid, we have an emergency fund, and I don't say anything about how you spend your extra. "Don't ask questions you don't want the answers to" as a good friend once said.

Generally speaking, most people learn from their mistakes and we all have a good laugh about it later. Those who don't get out and don't come back.
Ultimately. You get out of it, what you put into it. Just like everything else in life- and really, that's probably the most important thing it's taught me (because I don't learn like normal people).
Sponsored