Sponsored

Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Drats. I will actually be in the OBX for that whole period. Is there a badge trail down there?!
No badge, we just want to camp on the Outer Banks. I love the Outer Banks. We will also stop off and see our son in Fayetteville NC on our way through. I have a very nice bottle of bourbon to share with him over a cigar or two.
Sponsored

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
No badge, we just want to camp on the Outer Banks. I love the Outer Banks. We will also stop off and see our son in Fayetteville NC on our way through. I have a very nice bottle of bourbon to share with him over a cigar or two.
Nice, congrats! I've been going ever since I was little and my family has a house there. Can't wait for a 2 week getaway.

jrt623

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon
"I'm going to leave it stock" IS A LIE!!!
Yes, a huge lie! While my wife and I were looking for a Jeep she says "Get the Rubicon and you won't have to do anything to it."I'm averaging a couple of mods a month on it. When does it stop?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for pointing that out, I obviously missed it. Good to know he is a Jeep enthusiast.

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 7.19.18 AM.png
It took me two hours to get the Pepsi off my laptop keyboard keys

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
Don't try to park a lifted jeep with the sunrider open in a garage...
It...does...not...fit... :facepalm:
The experience did however, give me some unique white stripes to my softop latches...
Thought I'd include a picture of said racing stripes...to add depth to my post...
:)
Jeep Wrangler JL Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep. 20200810_182535

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
The other thing with owning a Jeep, you will order stuff and forget that you ordered it and then wonder what the fuck is this when it shows up on your porch.

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
The other thing with owning a Jeep, you will order stuff and forget that you ordered it and then wonder what the fuck is this when it shows up on your porch.
I found out this happens on many things. But then you remember "oh yea, that was the night I had 12 beers and was playing on the computer until 1 am". Never fails!

rav1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I've learned quite a few things, some through my long-suffering wife, who shares her learnings with me frequently. In no particular order:

- I've spent more time underneath the Jeep than inside it, at least for a couple of months
- A corollary to that: non-aesthetic but functional mods (skid plates, diff covers, etc.) are fun and do not become constant reminders of 'changes' to observers
- Jeep waves are very cool, but it's useful to have references to how that's a thing, especially with the growing number of women who own Jeeps and wave at you...
- Ride quality is subjective, claiming a (stock) JL is amazing doesn't matter if the reference is a GLC Merc, but it *could* become the reason for some mods to improve the said ride quality
- Getting the Jeep topless in good weather is very tempting and very straightforward, getting it all back on needs more careful planning, look-up the costs of any replacements for motivation

There's more but those were the highlights so far :)

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
You modify one thing expect to modify other things at the same time.

Got a new jlu Sport s, installed a steel bumper and added a winch, well the front end is sagging, well gotta lift it up, well now your front end needs adjusting time for some adjustable track bar and LCA.

However in saying that I love my jlu Glad I traded in my 17 Camaro ss

Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I am. It should be Sept. 2nd and/or 3rd. Then be on the outer banks at Cape Lookout on the 4th and 5th.
im off that day, maybe i can try to meet up depending what you have going on.....

rdrjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport-S
After getting a new 2019 Wrangler I learned that pin stripes are not something worry about and rather are reminders of fun trails and adventures

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I learned that you have to invest another $4-6k on top of what you paid for a Rubicon to turn it into a worthy off road vehicle.

Out of the gate, my JLR had squishy coils and would hit bump stops easily on the tamest of trails. A mild lift, shocks, steering kit, and some other upgrades, and it’s the off road rig I expected it to be off the show room.

Happy with it now.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
im off that day, maybe i can try to meet up depending what you have going on.....
The date just depends on if we take off when my wife gets out of work on Tuesday or if we leave early Wednesday morning.

If you want to try and wheel with us, I can message you my phone number and then share my location on the day we arrive.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I learned that you have to invest another $4-6k on top of what you paid for a Rubicon to turn it into a worthy off road vehicle.

Out of the gate, my JLR had squishy coils and would hit bump stops easily on the tamest of trails. A mild lift, shocks, steering kit, and some other upgrades, and it’s the off road rig I expected it to be off the show room.

Happy with it now.

Couldn't agree more. A lifted rig with (or even without) larger tires makes your Jeep significantly better. Larger tires make any Jeep way better still. Its like growing up and no longer being a pollywog.

A lifted Jeep can really do incredible things other than swimming around within the confines of the pavement-ponds around shopping malls and nail salons.

Jeeps are WAY better lifted. Any one who claims that owners who lift them are 'full of shit', can wallow in their own BS.

I couldn't be any happier looking down from a 13,000 ft mountain pass, or down on a stock pollywog at a red light.

All Jeeps are way cool. Either stock or lifted but calling a fellow Jeeper 'full of shit' for making their vehicle ride much better than 'squishy' is just wrong. Showing such little to no respect to a higher form of Jeep shows very little intelligence.

Lets just refer to these low-life, tiny-brained invertebrates as tadpoles. Certainly much less developed still.

Jay
Sponsored