Sponsored

Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Add me to the list of It was a mistake buying in the first place. Don't get me wrong the Platform is awesome. I loved the lifestyle it offers, the comradely of the Jeep Owners and its Off-Road abilities. But it really was (at least mine) a big pile of unreliable SHIT that had shitty highway manors.

Maybe if I could afford 2 vehicles ( daily driver and Fun Vehicle) I'd still have it.
Based on your vehicle listing, I did the exact inverse of you--jumping from a TRD OR to a Rubi lol.
Sponsored

rvb

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

After my 2009 JKUR with manual transmission got rear-ended and repaired, months later it developed a whine on 2nd, 4th and 6th gears. Turned out to be a bent transmission mount.
Mine is automatic

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Here’s one I learned last weekend: if I’m driving with the top down and doors out, inevitably a bee will land on my wife and she will flail her arms all nimbly bimbly and will throw her phone out the open window/door onto the highway. Expensive week.
Great story made better with the description of the arm waving.

I have a hellayella JLUR and bees think it is a giant flower. Had the soft top on, but the rear windows out and windows down. She gets stung while I am doing 45 mph and you would think she had been bitten by a shark. Now she is doing dances in parking lots if there is a bee anywhere around here. Luckily she didn't drop her phone.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
if you drive across nevada in 112 temperature while pulling a patriot tent trailer, by the time you get to st. george utah, the heat will have caused the rear locker to set a permanent error saying "service lockers". you will be unable to use the lockers in utah, or repair the problem, short of replacing the axles, which are not available.

there is a hack workaround for $175 per axle from Z Automototive.

that, and the fuel pump died 20 miles after leaving I-15. jeep would, imho, be a lot better if FCA didn't build or support it.
Also if you drive across 50 West from Utah to California, buy gas when you can. I filled up at a very old gas station and my Jeep took 20.4 gallons of fuel and the next gas station was about 50 miles away.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Add me to the list of It was a mistake buying in the first place. Don't get me wrong the Platform is awesome. I loved the lifestyle it offers, the comradely of the Jeep Owners and its Off-Road abilities. But it really was (at least mine) a big pile of unreliable SHIT that had shitty highway manors.

Maybe if I could afford 2 vehicles ( daily driver and Fun Vehicle) I'd still have it.
I have had the exact opposite experience. Not a lick of trouble and I can't believe what a fantastic vehicle it has been and I drive it just to drive. I am sorry you have had so many issues, it is no fun to deal with.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also if you drive across 50 West from Utah to California, buy gas when you can. I filled up at a very old gas station and my Jeep took 20.4 gallons of fuel and the next gas station was about 50 miles away.
The western states are very large and you can certainly get some distances between stations. The other issue is those remote stations can be $1.50/gallon more than normal, but they know they have you. I went through Needles, California as a kid and I thought they had used the town for nuclear testing. My dad complained that the gas was over $2/gallon and that was in 1981. The best part of that trip was going through Arizona and New Mexico. The Grand Canyon and painted desert were incredible and I knew I would live in one of those two states in the end. Have been in Arizona for 15 years and I have no intentions of moving.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s one I learned last weekend: if I’m driving with the top down and doors out, inevitably a bee will land on my wife and she will flail her arms all nimbly bimbly and will throw her phone out the open window/door onto the highway. Expensive week.
Funny. About a dozen years of driving convertibles and the only time a bee got me was in a hard top car. The window was down, driving about 60 around a curve in the highway and a bumble bee hit me directly on the forehead. No stinger but the impact raised a nice whelp and hurt pretty good. Less expensive than a phone though.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I have had the exact opposite experience. Not a lick of trouble and I can't believe what a fantastic vehicle it has been and I drive it just to drive. I am sorry you have had so many issues, it is no fun to deal with.
yup. It sucked :( When I pay off the Tacoma and or Hand it to my son when he drives in 5-6 years I may pick up what jeep has at the time. or get a used 2021-2022 Rubi and get back into a jeep. We shall see. By then I will have paid off the house as well and can afford an extra toy.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Wax, I use Turtle Wax Fire and Ice. I use this often. all the black plastic gets 303 protestant.
I prefer to use a couple of hundred Episcopalians myself. Though if you use enough Methodists that would probably work on the plastic as well.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Funny. About a dozen years of driving convertibles and the only time a bee got me was in a hard top car. The window was down, driving about 60 around a curve in the highway and a bumble bee hit me directly on the forehead. No stinger but the impact raised a nice whelp and hurt pretty good. Less expensive than a phone though.
I had a hornet fly into my helmet with the face shield down at highway speeds and start stinging my face. Was a lot of fun trying to dig him out while trying to slow down and pull over. Bzzzzz...

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
I have noticed that some people can be sensitive, but also don't handle sarcasm well either. The primary issue is that people have strong opinions and are will to share them, which is good. As an example, when people put on an angry grill and ask for opinions and then get upset when some people (informal poll shows 86.7%) don't like them.

Go on a Facebook group and watch the complete meltdowns over this exact issue. It devolves into almost a Neanderthal level of intelligence and reasoning, but I can't stop reading. I mean look at the images of this Gladiator is selling after determining they weren't a Jeep person. It is a train wreck beyond any known proportion and I can't help but wonder what the hell was going on in this persons head!!

D6E72F91-2981-4F62-93A2-3A9A9109D68C.jpeg

AC1FD031-19B0-4F96-B485-8A6CD770C25D.jpeg

IMG_9200.jpeg
The epitome of having exposable Income. Tht is the only excuse for this imo :)

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The epitome of too much money and not enough sense.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I have learned it was an absolute mistake in judgment to purchase my 2019 Moab. It has been in the shop constantly and items only get documented and never fixed. The dealerships simply kick the van down the road. Standard answer is “we identified the issue and documented it, we don’t know how to fix it and FCA has no solutions. I also learned at this point Jeep Care does nothing to help you. When you buy a JL you bought a car for $50k with no factory warranty. I’ve learned don’t buy anything from FCA.
I heard that, too, and got it bought back. It wasn’t fun but I won.
https://www.ncdsusa.org/consumers/automotive-warranty-disputes/

Reactions: rvb

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
I am. It should be Sept. 2nd and/or 3rd. Then be on the outer banks at Cape Lookout on the 4th and 5th.
Drats. I will actually be in the OBX for that whole period. Is there a badge trail down there?!
Sponsored