wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am surprised at how quiet it is with the soft top in the down position. I think it is almost as quiet as it is with the top up and this is with me running STT PRO 37s tires.

I am also surprised at the milage that I get with it lifted and 37 tires. I expected less.
Sponsored

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
Being my first Jeep and being my first time getting into off roading (now a year in and a dozen trips under my belt), I’m surprised by how capable and tough my Sport S is.

From the beginning, I started out very easy and have been progressing on to more and more difficult things while also making tweaks and mods along the way to help. Nothing too extreme (i.e. no lockers, axels, or huge tires - just 33x12 MTs, sway bar discos, and a rubi suspension and coil spacer lift - the rest has been recovery gear focused) and yet my Jeep continues to tackle some healthily obstacles and takes some pretty good abuse.

People come here to complain about loose this and that, and those complaints are warranted but.... holy shit these things are also built tough as nails.

Granted, I’m also always checking up on components, checking torque, cleaning and maintaining - it’s been through a lot in a year.

It’s a bad ass machine that I’m proud to drive and I hope the folks that built it in Toledo are proud as hell they make the toughest consumer vehicle in America.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised at just how many different ways they improved upon the JK (and I love JKs, and still have mine). From ride/handling to comfort/ergonomics, to the way the soft top works, lightweight doors, fuel economy, etc. Everything.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
1. The transmission- never expected it to feel like a sports car
2. The acceleration- coming from my old YJ with 3.07’s, a broken 1st gear, 35s and a lift, this thing practically flies
3. How awesome Apple CarPlay is- never had a car or Jeep with it
(And some things I don’t like)
4. The soft top- how not far down it goes. So much worse than my old TJ. It even obstructs your view to the rear! This is really weird and a shame, because I love top-down driving, but Safari mode will get some extra love
5. How long it takes to take the doors off- what used to be 15 seconds now takes minutes

Sponsored

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
1. The transmission- never expected it to feel like a sports car
2. The acceleration- coming from my old YJ with 3.07’s, a broken 1st gear, 35s and a lift, this thing practically flies
3. How awesome Apple CarPlay is- never had a car or Jeep with it
(And some things I don’t like)
4. The soft top- how not far down it goes. So much worse than my old TJ. It even obstructs your view to the rear! This is really weird and a shame, because I love top-down driving, but Safari mode will get some extra love
5. How long it takes to take the doors off- what used to be 15 seconds now takes minutes
Not to be a Debbie Downer on this beautiful weekend, but I've got to agree with # 5 above. Took my doors off for the first time yesterday. Hinge bolts were easy, door check bracket easy, but those front wiring clips are a pain. Just seems that a simpler quick release could have been engineered.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Not to be a Debbie Downer on this beautiful weekend, but I've got to agree with # 5 above. Took my doors off for the first time yesterday. Hinge bolts were easy, door check bracket easy, but those front wiring clips are a pain. Just seems that a simpler quick release could have been engineered.
Just the first time.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How light and far more easily the doors remove. The grip handle added to the inside door trim. Also, elongated the top door hinge pin makes it far more easy to align. Great improvements.
That grip handle is funny. The 2011 JK interior update must not have had this. My 08 JK's door handles work as a handle for carrying the doors, too. That's really the only endearing feature of that old interior, though. Lol.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure there is a way to get rid of that door check, if you want to. I can't remember where I saw that, but I'm pretty sure I remember Mark Allen saying you could get rid of those.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
1. How well it handles on the road.

2. How capable it is off-road.

3. How snappy the turbo is. Zoom!

4. What a fantastic transmission the 8 speed is.

5.How it sips gas.

6. How much I love it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Really? Mine took maybe 5 seconds each. The longest part of taking the doors off was getting the hinge bolts out without touching the paint. But, I just don’t put them back in.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I am surprised at how many engine choices there are and will be. It's nice to have the choices.

Pleasantly surprised by the 2.0 turbo, power, torque. Passing is effortless. Makes the JL feel a lot more agile. Very surprised I would describe a Wrangler power plant as fun and agile. lol. Fun engine!

How much better the 8-speed is. Lightyears better then my old '15 JK.

I am very surprised at how civilized the Wrangler has become. It's very quiet for a Wrangler, especially with K02s. A lot better put together. Lot less wind noise then my "15 JK.

I am surprised I prefer daily driving it over my other cars.

How much better the creature comforts are. The 8.4" Infotainment is great. Again, lightyears better then the JK.

How much better the lighting is over the past Wranglers. I have LEDs but even the halogens are better then the past JKs.

Steering is a delicate subject but I am surprised by how much better the steering is compared to my '15 JK. My TOTALLY stock '19 JLR has excellent steering for a Wrangler.

I am NOT surprised by how much I love it.

Last edited:

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
The last Jeep I drove regularly in my teen years was an early 70s CJ with 3 speed stick and an inline 6 that could pull stumps out.. A blast to drive but it was like riding a buckboard and was a terror in bad weather.

A friend got his Wife a Sahara and was loving it so I went to the Jeep website and ended up falling for an Orange Rubicon that was in my dealer stock!! I went to take a test ride after a snow storm expecting not to like it as a daily driver for 2 1/2 hours/day commute. I thought it would have a rough ride, tire/wind noise, rattles and squeaks. I was wrong and was pleasantly surprised by almost every feature and refinement while still keeping a level of ruggedness (unlike many newer trucks/SUVs). Total shocker, made the decision that night and re-committed again even after the first one was bought back by FCA (I guess I'm a glutton for punishment).

Surprises - The LED lighting, ease of door removal, dealer support(at least my dealer), off-road capability(will be doing a lot more), the power of the 2.0l, he smoothness of the 8sp trans, the Power top not leaking even a single drop(yet), the Easter eggs both on the vehicle and in the electronic animations.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
1. I love how my Sahara looks (I always do the "Lookback" when I park)
2. I am surprised at the power of the Pentastar V-6 engine
3. Love the Auto Trans 8 speed
4. I am really surprised at how easy the freedom panels come off.
Sponsored