Things I've Learned In 10 Days & 1,000 Miles

AZDIESELRUBI

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Why anyone would buy a wrangler to tow - if you need an Exhaust brake you are over your 3000lb towing limit.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
Hello,

I was looking around under the JLU tonight after the gym looking at coverage needs as I decide on skid plates. In doing so two things caught my attention. First is something is wet. Not dripping, no puddles or eye drops and nothing below it, but it has a film that does not smell like anything. It is weird. Second is a bracket or brace that is on the passenger side but not on the driver's side. Why only one brace that hangs down low with nothing attached to it that I can see? Any ideas?

I've yet to find a diagram showing all the external parts to the 3.0L and with the large grounding cable I do not know what it is that could be wet. I did notice surface rust on the non-painted cast block surfaces too.

Wet 2.jpg

Wet 1.jpg

Brace.jpg

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

That bracket has been discussed in depth here for a while now. The consensus is it was put in place to address the side impact rollover crash test I believe. Several folks have removed them or cut them off, though I personally left mine in until the day I get it hung up on a rock.

As for the oily film on that part, not sure. Could be something left over from assembly. Iā€™d spray it off with degreaser and monitor the area, if it returns you probably have a fluid leak.

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
2. Has anyone found a good way to keep the switchblade key from opening in your pocket all the time?
Ranger band! The cheap, easy, bulletproof solution to unwanted key-stabs that I've been using since day one. Also can be used as fire tinder if needed. They're a real godsend for a multitude of applications
Jeep Wrangler JL Things I've Learned In 10 Days & 1,000 Miles KEY

OP
OP

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
Ranger band! The cheap, easy, bulletproof solution to unwanted key-stabs that I've been using since day one. Also can be used as fire tinder if needed. They're a real godsend for a multitude of applications
Jeep Wrangler JL Things I've Learned In 10 Days & 1,000 Miles KEY
Man I don't have any laying around...lots of other gear...actually too much haha...but none of those. Will pick up a pack. Nice idea. Does it help prevent the accidental horn noise? Three times in three weeks with keys in pants pocket or hoodie pouch I bumped a counter or something and the neighbors were alerted that I bought a new Jeep...

Sponsored

OP
OP

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
That bracket has been discussed in depth here for a while now. The consensus is it was put in place to address the side impact rollover crash test I believe. Several folks have removed them or cut them off, though I personally left mine in until the day I get it hung up on a rock.

As for the oily film on that part, not sure. Could be something left over from assembly. Iā€™d spray it off with degreaser and monitor the area, if it returns you probably have a fluid leak.
I did not know previous discussions were in place, or if it was a diesel specific thing. Thanks for letting me know. I agree with your decision. As for the film, I'll be digging into it again this weekend adding some things that brown santa brought me and will look good in the daylight.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I did not know previous discussions were in place, or if it was a diesel specific thing. Thanks for letting me know. I agree with your decision. As for the film, I'll be digging into it again this weekend adding some things that brown santa brought me and will look good in the daylight.
Itā€™s not diesel specific, I think it started showing up on ā€˜22 models? Itā€™s bizarre they only incorporated it on one sideā€¦

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Man I don't have any laying around...lots of other gear...actually too much haha...but none of those. Will pick up a pack. Nice idea. Does it help prevent the accidental horn noise? Three times in three weeks with keys in pants pocket or hoodie pouch I bumped a counter or something and the neighbors were alerted that I bought a new Jeep...
I would imagine so with the added thickness. Though the most surefire way would be to disable the panic button via Tazer, which is also a thing I did on day one lol. I had a Compass where the panic button would accidentally go off all the time, so annoying
Jeep Wrangler JL Things I've Learned In 10 Days & 1,000 Miles PanicBt

AZDIESELRUBI

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
9. I think the EGTs must be really low on this 3.0L because it likes DEF. 1/4 tank in 1,000 miles and very, very little around town driving / short trips.
I know they say there's not a break in period for the EcoDiesel. There is definitely a distinctive point in time right around the 12,000 mi mark where you start noticing you getting better mileage doing the same stuff you were doing prior to that point.

I know I've heard others say, and in my experiences as well, the earlier you are in the engine, it seems to eat up DEF like crazy. The first 10,000 miles I used to fill up my DEF tank every 2,000 mi it felt like. I like to keep it full if I can. But at this point I'm down to half a tank of DEF and haven't filled it up in the last 7,000 mi.

The engine definitely gets better with time!

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
What fuel filter Mod? Thatā€™s a new one.
Sponsored