Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

No. Oh, no. Nope.

The Wrangler needs a technology diet, not ever-increasing calories.

Complexity for the sake of its own presence? Hard pass.
You realize this isn't "more technology", right? It's all NFC (aside from the phone app) and all currently exists on any Wranglers with remote proximity.

The difference here is that Rivian actually looked at their target market to see how they could design keyfob(s) to fit within their customers' lives and the way they're using their vehicle.

As opposed to FCA who said "eh, here's this thing. Your vehicle is rugged and can handle water, but the fob isn't. Sorry.

Rivian just provides the same functionality/technology that Jeep does, but in a more thoughtful execution.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
You realize this isn't "more technology", right? It's all NFC (aside from the phone app) and all currently exists on any Wranglers with remote proximity.

The difference here is that Rivian actually looked at their target market to see how they could design keyfob(s) to fit within their customers' lives and the way they're using their vehicle.

As opposed to FCA who said "eh, here's this thing. Your vehicle is rugged and can handle water, but the fob isn't. Sorry.

Rivian just provides the same functionality/technology that Jeep does, but in a more thoughtful execution.
Leading in with "You realize" isn't how persuasion should be attempted, ever. Now you know, Mr. Marketing. ;)

The Rivian really isn't the best thing benchmark here. It's one centimeter removed from vaporware, and then only in very limited markets. Viewed objectively, it's a retailing exercise still trying to find its sea legs.

Moreover, consider a new visitor to this site. Browsing this subforum, he might believe he stumbled onto a tech troubleshooting forum, and not a model-specific enthusiast site. "Vehicle will shut down soon." "My touchscreen-controlled heat and AC has a mind of its own." Et cetera, et cetera.

We need more of that nonsense on our "rugged" Wranglers like we need a new hole in the head.

The matter of waterproofness has already been addressed, in a simple, straightforward and affordable manner.

Tell us what NFC is intended to mean. Cheers.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Leading in with "You realize" isn't how persuasion should be attempted, ever. Now you know, Mr. Marketing. ;)

The Rivian really isn't the best thing benchmark here. It's one centimeter removed from vaporware, and then only in very limited markets. Viewed objectively, it's a retailing exercise still trying to find its sea legs.

Moreover, consider a new visitor to this site. Browsing this subforum, he might believe he stumbled onto a tech troubleshooting forum, and not a model-specific enthusiast site. "Vehicle will shut down soon." "My touchscreen-controlled heat and AC has a mind of its own." Et cetera, et cetera.

We need more of that nonsense on our "rugged" Wranglers like we need a new hole in the head.

The matter of waterproofness has already been addressed, in a simple, straightforward and affordable manner.

Tell us what NFC is intended to mean. Cheers.
You realize that I don't treat this forum as a marketing exercise, right? 😉

Snark aside, NFC stands for Near Field Communication and was invented in the early 80s. It's what allows the remote proximity to work.

If FCA is already using NFC (and they are) then it'd be nice to see them think about how better to use it. The video I highlighted is the same as our keyfobs, just with different and more thoughtful/innovative packaging.

Also I didn't make any assertions as to whether Rivian is or isn't vaporware. Again, only highlighting that they seem to be thinking of their customer when designing various aspects of the vehicle.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
no thank you.

i'd prefer less tech and fewer things to go wrong that might keep me out of my vehicle or keep it from running.
(having worked in and around Tech most of my life, i've been too close to a lot of this stuff to have any illusions about it.)

fortunately, i was able to order my J**p without a lot of that superfluous BS that doesn't have anything to do with actually *driving* it.
i hope that for the benefit of those who come behind me that those alternatives continue to exist.

1BadDad

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Innovator
Apple key is where it’s at.

Sponsored

RandyMarion CDJR

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Randymarionjeepram.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Jeep Wrangler 4xe, Subaru Crosstrek
All very good ideas. Nice to think if you were to lose your key it wouldn't matter because your phone is the continuous fob & you have 4 options in total to be able to access your car. When was the last time you picked a car up at a dealer and had more than 2 ways (2 keys) to access & start your vehicle? Just a nice touch. Rivian does need to pick their rears up off the ground and get things moving along however. They make a nice product but its only nice if it makes it to the consumer.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
All very good ideas. Nice to think if you were to lose your key it wouldn't matter because your phone is the continuous fob & you have 4 options in total to be able to access your car. When was the last time you picked a car up at a dealer and had more than 2 ways (2 keys) to access & start your vehicle? Just a nice touch. Rivian does need to pick their rears up off the ground and get things moving along however. They make a nice product but its only nice if it makes it to the consumer.
Good point...ideas aren't worth squat if they don't get implemented into a product.

comatzd

First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
What I'd like to see is some standardized interface like garage door openers. Then you could use one remote for a handful of vehicles...
Sponsored