Sponsored

Things Ford Got Right with the Bronco Vs the Wrangler

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
3.6 and 2.0 are base engines. they dominate the base bronco engine. 4xe dominates the 2.7. 392 dominates the braptor. then you have a diesel option for the wrangler as well. Again, jeeps lineup of power trains dominate broncos. Bronco engines look good on paper though. And crazy to think jeep does this with more reliability. It’s quite perplexing.
You are clueless.

First, the bronco turbo 2.3 makes more power and torque than the 2.0 or the 3.6.
Second, the 2.7 is a $1800 option. Its not a $10,000 option like the 4.e or a 30,000 option like the 392.

Its less than a painted hard top. The 4xe has lots of problems, as has been pretty well shown here.

If it were a Toyota, I'd recommend it strongly. Great power, insane torque, great fuel economy. But as it is its a version 1.0 effort by a company that's never made a hybrid before. Its poorly supported by both the factory and the dealer network. Its tough to recommend the 4xe despite how well it performs when its working right.

The 2.7 t gives bronco buyers an engine choice that is a very inexpensive upgrade with 50 more hp than the pentastar and 154 ft-lbs more torque.
Sponsored

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
4 door Bronco Badlands (Google says it's comparably equipped to a Rubicon - I don't know)
315hp 410tq at 4945 pounds is equivalent to .0637HP/LB and .0829 TQ/LB.

Rubicon JLUR 285hp 260tq at 4449 pounds is equivalent to .064HP/LB and .0584TQ/LB.

Horsepower is essentially identical. The Bronco seems to shine in the torque department, but factor in the 68:1 crawl ratio for the Bronco, and a 77:1 crawl ratio for the Wrangler and things get muddy again. It gets even muddier when you see that the Wrangler has torque that ramps up, then stays relatively flat at the peak (ideal for torque) whereas the Bronco ramps up to peak, then starts to drop off almost as fast as it goes up.

That said, I'm not saying that either one has an advantage with HP and TQ, just that neither is significant enough to say one is better than the other. Though I will say that I think it is significant that the Wrangler can so closely compete with a naturally aspirated engine vs. forced induction. We all know that forced induction causes considerably more wear & tear on internal components than natural aspiration, and that should translate into better longevity for the Jeep.
I admire that you are willing to actually do the math.

Unfortunately you drew the wrong conclusion from the numbers.

The bronco has 42% more torque per pound. This is a big deal. Since it means more thrust at moderate revs. Which is exactly how the Bronco drives.

You can accelerate without winding the thing up to 6000 rpm like is required with the jeep.

All I can say is drive one. The motor is much much better suited to a relaxed driving experience than the pentastar.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I’m surprised no one mentioned the respective upgraded sound systems. The B&O in the Ford is garbage compared to the Alpine in the Jeep. Obviously no one buys these things for their sound systems but Jeep wins points in this area.
I keep mentioning that I've got several hours in a Bronco when I'm trying to explain how the 2.7 t is vastly superior to the 3.6 or 2.0.

But in those hours I also realized how TERRIBLE the Ford's sound system is.

I think part of it is that the rear speakers are WAYYYY in back. At the back end of the cargo area.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You are clueless.

First, the bronco turbo 2.3 makes more power and torque than the 2.0 or the 3.6.
No, it doesn't. It does get 15 - 20% less mileage though.

You can accelerate without winding the thing up to 6000 rpm like is required with the jeep.
You mentioned the 6,000 rpm thing a couple times. Not sure why you think you have to wind "the thing up to 6000 rpm like is required with the jeep" <sic>?

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
The 2.0 should be capable of handling around 350hp pretty easily, and up to 400hp... Look what Porsche, Audi, VW does with 2.0 blocks... they have different blocks for the HOs, but you can do alot with bigger turbos, stronger internal, and different tuning.

As a personal aside... normally the first thing I'd do with a turbo 4 would be to get an aftermarket tune... but the 2.0 already feels as fast as I'd feel comfortable in a Wrangler. (total personal preference)
Agree. Jeep's SRT tune for the 2.0T was rated at 340HP/369TQ. Imo, the SRT tune and a factory-installed supercharger for the 3.6L should both be available Mopar options, along with a standard warranty (whether ordered that way, or later upgraded by an authorized dealer).

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I admire that you are willing to actually do the math.

Unfortunately you drew the wrong conclusion from the numbers.

The bronco has 42% more torque per pound. This is a big deal. Since it means more thrust at moderate revs. Which is exactly how the Bronco drives.

All I can say is drive one. The motor is much much better suited to a relaxed driving experience than the pentastar.
It has 42% more per pound at the flywheel. I’m really not interested in figuring out what it is at the wheels (which is where it matters), but I’d bet that it’s not 42%.

And FWIW, I’ve driven F150’s with the same engine as the Bronco. I believe that they’re around the same weight (Bronco might be a bit heavier) and I wasn’t impressed. I doubt I’d feel any different driving the Bronco.

Besides, I don’t really care about that sort of performance in an off-road vehicle. My horsepower and torque cravings are satisfied with my old Chevy.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
The one thing Ford got right is convincing people to buy it without waiting after the first year or so to weed out the issues with it. Well done Ford!

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I think Ford got some of the colors right. Eruption Green is nice.

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
You are clueless.

Second, the 2.7 is a $1800 option. Its not a $10,000 option like the 4.e or a 30,000 option like the 392.

Its less than a painted hard top. The 4xe has lots of problems, as has been pretty well shown here.

If it were a Toyota, I'd recommend it strongly. Great power, insane torque, great fuel economy. But as it is its a version 1.0 effort by a company that's never made a hybrid before. Its poorly supported by both the factory and the dealer network. Its tough to recommend the 4xe despite how well it performs when its working right.

The 2.7 t gives bronco buyers an engine choice that is a very inexpensive upgrade with 50 more hp than the pentastar and 154 ft-lbs more torque.
Again, numbers on paper. I’ll take real world results. Bronco is the epitome of a paper tiger. i remember pre release. Look at the numbers, the bronco is going to be so fast. After release not so much. Pre release, it’s going to drive so good on road. After release not so much. Pre release, look at the articulation numbers, it’s going to be a beast. After release not so much. The release, cost to buy, and the final product for the bronco has been terrible. Please go back to bronco nation and join your circle jerk. This is the JL wrangler forum where we are fans of the wrangler and know, based on real world facts, that we have the best vehicle in its segment. ford had the jl in front of them before they released the bronco and still couldn’t build a better product. The next generation wrangler will widen the gap even more.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Let's give the Bronco motors a few plus years running along with Jeeps before we hit the gavel. I still think a NA 3.6L is king until a decade of use with new blocks and turbines can prove otherwise.

For me, longevity is more important than a race off the line when the subject is off-road capable vehicles that I plan to keep for a long time and work on myself. Just my đź’­'s
Sponsored