Things Ford Got Right with the Bronco Vs the Wrangler

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SJ Cherokee, SJ Gladiator, JKU, & JL
Yes, you make a long list of things where the Jeep is better than the Bronco. That's easy. But what about the areas where the Bronco is better? Will Jeep notice and improve our Wranglers to compete. After all, competition is good for everyone, right?

My list:

1) Vinyl floors with drains
Carpet is the dumbest damn thing ever put in a Jeep. It absolutely should not be standard in a Sport or Rubicon. I can see carpet standard in a 4-door Sahara or other luxury trims, but not a base model and not the off-road model. Carpet should be optional on Rubicons, Sports, and whatever the "beach" theme Jeep is called.

2) Marine grade vinyl seats
Same argument. Leather is great for the luxury models and should remain optional on a trims. Cloth sucks for both dog owners and off-roaders. A tough but nice-looking and easy-to-clean vinyl seat would be perfect.

3) Sasquatch available on 2-doors.
Ford said "yes" to their purists, and Jeep said "screw you guys". No Xtreme Recon for our purists and long time enthusiast. We don't get the good stuff.

4) Split rear seat (2-door)
The Bronco 2-door has split rear seats that fold independently and relatively flat. Much better design than the tumble bench seat in the Jeep.

What says you? In what ways can the new Bronco inspire improvements from Jeep?
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I was JUST thinking it has been a couple days without seeing a Bronco post.....good call.

I can't compare the Bronco. I've never sat in one. Let alone driven it. I also don't wax poetic about something that, even if I wanted one right now, would take me like 2 years to see.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Yes, you make a long list of things where the Jeep is better than the Bronco. That's easy. But what about the areas where the Bronco is better? Will Jeep notice and improve our Wranglers to compete. After all, competition is good for everyone, right?

My list:

Carpet is the dumbest damn thing ever put in a Jeep. It absolutely should not be standard in a Sport or Rubicon. I can see carpet standard in a 4-door Sahara or other luxury trims, but not a base model and not the off-road model. Carpet should be optional on Rubicons, Sports, and whatever the "beach" theme Jeep is called.

Same argument. Leather is great for the luxury models and should remain optional on a trims. Cloth sucks for both dog owners and off-roaders. A tough but nice-looking and easy-to-clean vinyl seat would be perfect.

Ford said "yes" to their purists, and Jeep said "screw you guys". No Xtreme Recon for our purists and long time enthusiast. We don't get the good stuff.

The Bronco 2-door has split rear seats that fold independently and relatively flat. Much better design than the tumble bench seat in the Jeep.

Agree with this 100% - Armorlite helps Jeep out on the no carpet, but definitely should be a factory option, same with the seats. Sasquatch in 2 door, along with a manual option, 2 big advantages.

OP
OP
ZBRA

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't compare the Bronco. I've never sat in one. Let alone driven it. I also don't wax poetic about something that, even if I wanted one right now, would take me like 2 years to see.
Let me know if you want one. After 21 months of waiting, my Bronco is scheduled to be built next week. I don't think I'm going to buy it once it gets here. Be interesting to see if my Badlands order or my Rubicon order comes in first.

Sponsored

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
Having originally ordered a Bronco (never got delivered) and then finally having seat time in several of them, one thing Ford has done better than Jeep is cut corners on costs; Ford has cut so many corners that....sigh

The Wrangler isn't really wide enough for proper split rear seat use and, to be honest, in our family SUVs I think we utilized the seat split two or three times over the past decade. As for seats? I'd rather have a good, removable seat cover and keep the seats nice and it's a lot easier to pull out a seat cover for cleaning than scrub bolted-down vinyl seats, IMHO.🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
ZBRA

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree with this 100% - Armorlite helps Jeep out on the no carpet, but definitely should be a factory option, same with the seats. Sasquatch in 2 door, along with a manual option, 2 big advantages.
Armorlite is great, but it's EXPENSIVE! and it's not available for the 2-door even though the JL is now in it's 6th production year.

Manual trans with Xtreme Recon would be great. Sasquatch wasn't available with the manual for the first production year (2021). Starting in 2022, you can get a man-squatch, BUT Ford now charges you $2000 more for the auto even if you don't get it. They added the $2000 auto trans price to the Sasquatch price in 2022 making you pay for the auto even if you get the standard. That's just wrong.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired

My list:

Did you post the bizarro world version of this in the Bronco forums?

OG Shark

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubi
Can definitely say that one thing the Bronco has done better than the Wrangler is in the drama department - they sure do know how to build up anticipation! Been at least 18 months since I placed my order & still hasn't been scheduled for production. I was able to convert my order to a Bronco Raptor when they opened up but my understanding was that I was still even a ways out on my original order. But they did send me a shiny pack of playing cards with a bronco on it a couple of months ago so yay I guess that makes up for the wait.

Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR

My list:

You should add another one (to make a 5 things...) and be sure to make a YouTube video. Then please be sure to spam it all over the board.

OP
OP
ZBRA

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they fix those tie-rods exploding along with the engines?
I believe tie rods and engines belong on the "Things Jeep Got Right Vs Bronco" thread.

OP
OP
ZBRA

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should add another one (to make a 5 things...) and be sure to make a YouTube video. Then please be sure to spam it all over the board.
Those people think things like switch function and placement, or cup holders are more important.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
There are a lot of things that Ford got right that are simply superior to anything offered by Jeep.

I'm not talking about IFS. That is something that can be debated. But there are some things that can not be debated. They are simply BETTER. And would be received positively by the Jeep community if Jeep did it.

1) Better readily available and reasonably priced engines. Yeah, you can get a 392 and a diesel in a Jeep. But if you want to spend just a bit more and get a motor that will always be more than enough without being overkill, its hard to beat the 2.7L twin turbo V6.

This motor makes 50 more hp than our V6. But more importantly, it makes 415 ft-lbs of torque. That's 135 ft-lbs more torque than our engine and is only 55 ft-lbs less than the 392.

2) Freedom panel over rear seat. - this is definitely easier than removing the entire top and makes it much more likely that rear seat passengers will get to feel the sun on their faces.

Yeah, the hard top situation at Ford is a cluster eff right now, but they will figure it out.

3) More passenger space - this was irrelevant to me, but it is fact.

4) Basesquatch - You can get (almost) all the off road goodies on a base truck with a stick. Jeep kind of fixed this with the XR package.

While I'm here I'll mention things they got wrong.

1) Interior quality, its junk. It feels like recycled Tupperware. Jeep's European influence definitely helps with interior quality. My family and I are not large people. So this was irrelevant to us. We fit fine in the Jeep.

2) Cargo Space - Ford really missed the boat on this one. They had a chance to provide good practical cargo space. Something the Wrangler sadly lacks. But they failed. The cargo area is no better than the Wrangler's.

Neither a plus nor a minus
As someone with extensive experience working at a high quality customer focused dealer, I'd say that for most non-enthusiast owners the quality of your local dealer is more important than the vehicle you will buy.

Most buyers of Broncos and Wranglers aren't off road enthusiasts. They want a cool vehicle that can go off-road and that you can remove the top from. Most would be happy with either vehicle if its properly optioned.

At that point its more important that you buy from a dealer that will take good care of you. When I bought my Sti, I was torn between an Evo and a STi. The decision was made easy when I went to visit my 2 local dealers. The Subaru dealer treated me with respect and showed integrity in their negotiations. The Mitsubishi dealer immediately started all the car dealer sales scam crap, DESPITE the fact that I told them I had worked as both a car sales man and as a F&I manager. Sorry, Im not buying accidental death and dismemberment insurance on my car loan.
Sponsored

Last edited: