Sponsored

Things Ford Got Right with the Bronco Vs the Wrangler

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

These comparisons always make me laugh. Thing to keep in mind is that the Jeep JL design was locked in for production well over two years before the Bronco, so Ford had a known target to shoot for. But the product cycles are staggered, so expect the JL replacement before the next generation Bronco. Will Jeep address a lot of the competitive differences in regards to the Bronco? You bet, and some of us will be discussing all that on the JX Forum in a few short years...
Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
The 2.7 wasn't a great motor in the F150, I've had co-workers that have owned them, and friends that have owned the 2.7 and 3.5 ecoboost models. I work in a shop and we know people that own them, and are in touch with shops that work on them. The 2.7 was underpowered for the F150, and they broke if you towed anything. REGULARLY. The 3.5 was a less than 100K motor also, they've broken with great regularity if they were used to tow or haul with. They were undercooled, under intercooled, they leaked coolant from the turbos by 60K, they had exhaust leaks at the head, they had cooling system pump issues.

I've seen a large amount of how "good" the 2.7 was, and the 3.5 was only marginally better. It's not surprising to me that it has lower resale than the 5.0. The 5.0 just chugs along and works, the 2.7 broke. With smaller frontal area on the Bronco, I know that Ford did not magically increase cooling. That has been the bugaboo of the turbo motors, they're undercooled for sustained loads.
I've got 6 F150 Ecoboosts in my fleet at work. The turbo's are at 100% failure rate (one truck has had 2 replaced).

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t give two squirts of piss about the bronco. I couldn’t care less about what it has and doesn’t have because I just don’t like them…… The only reason I’m posting here is just in case someone missed how I feel about bronco in the other 25 threads……hey , you asked…..;)

Edit: FYI …. This is a Bronco ..……

Jeep Wrangler JL Things Ford Got Right with the Bronco Vs the Wrangler 7926832C-118D-428A-BEF5-42AAC0A46EFA

Last edited:

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
If I cared what the Bronco had that Jeep didn't I would have bought a Bronco. Doesn't matter what they put on the Bronco I am in a Jeep because I prefer a Jeep. All the comparisons threads are just getting old. Someone needs to start a Jeep vs Bronco forum, that would be fun to watch

Deleted member 59498

I’m surprised no one mentioned the respective upgraded sound systems. The B&O in the Ford is garbage compared to the Alpine in the Jeep. Obviously no one buys these things for their sound systems but Jeep wins points in this area.

Sorry sir, we are going to have to ask you to refrain from upsetting the Bronco fans. It seems any thing negative about Ford in this thread leads to outburst of emotion from them.

Thanks for understanding.

Sponsored

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
Without a doubt, I wish the Wrangler had a gas motor in the 300+ hp, 400+ ft-lb of torque range like the 2.7L in the Bronco. Yeah, I know the diesel and the 392 exist but they are only available in 4 doors so they are irrelevant to me. I'm not all that interested in owning a diesel and a 392, even if available in the 2 door, would be almost unobtainable.

Having Sasquatch across their lineup, especially the 2 doors, is a huge plus. The Rubicon is not the Sasquatch equivalent as mentioned somewhere above. The Rubicon does match up nicely, by design, to the Badlands. The XR package matching up to the Sasquatch is the proper comparison but again not available on the 2 door and only sparingly across the lineup. Yes, you can fit 35s on a stock Rubicon but really need an inch or two lift to get serious with anything. Also, the Rubicon is undergeared on 33s with 4.10s so the availability of factory 4.56s for 35s is great in the XR. 4.88s as an option would be even better.

I despise full doors on Jeeps. I make no apologies for that. I love my half doors. But the Bronco having half doors with windows that roll up have both options beat hands down.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Numbers are nice on paper. What maters is how things perform and the Jeep lineup of power trains dominate broncos.
Seriously, you are kidding, right?

You clearly haven't driven a 2.7t Bronco.

If you don't have 90k for a 392 and dont' want to spend $4000 on a diesel. Which is the case for 90% of Jeep buyers, you out of luck.

There is no reasonably priced engine with "more than enough" power. Like the Ford 2.7T.

The fanboyism is amazing here. Though not surprising.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
OH you mean Ford forgot rear AIR VENTS and CUP Holders
This was a big deal. I have teenage kids and I want the back seat to be a nice place for them. They still enjoy doing things as a family and I want to do what I can to encourage more of this.

They are not big people so the extra rear seat hip and shoulder room in the Bronco is irrelevant. The Jeep with the leather package gives them 4 cup holders and their own vents.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I wouldnt say this is "right" versus "wrong," but just different: the bronco is a little larger and a little smoother of a ride. For the high percentage of people who buy them primarily as a daily driver, the bronco is a little more geared towards that. Wrangler is more geared towards the off road use.

Sponsored

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Horsepower and torque numbers are all but meaningless without a bunch of other variables factored in.
Similar gearing - yup
Similar weight - yup
Similar aerodynamics - yup.

So with the variables that actually exist factored in. Its a big difference.

Drive one. Seriously drive one. Then come back and argue with me.

The 2.7T has SIXTY PERCENT more torque than the 3.6.

I'm showing the 4dr Bronco as weighing between 4500 and 4950 lbs and the 4 door Wrangler as weighing (excluding the 4xe) between 4400 and 4800 lbs.

If we accept that for a similar layout,, the Ford weighs 300 lbs more than the Jeep, the ford still has far far better power to weight and torque to weight ratios.

Remember 410 ft-lbs of torque vs 260.

The 2.7T in the Bronco very simply provides a much better driving experience than any reasonably priced option offered in the Wrangler.

I know. I own a jeep and have about 6 hours driving a Bronco in all kinds of conditions. As an aside, the 2 door with the turbo 4 and a stick is a completely different driving experience from a loaded 4 door with the 2.7T and AT.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Get a Gladiator with a cap. That's what I did. Ha.

1663861703634.jpeg
As I see it, the outside table, whether that comes in the form of an aftermarket one that attaches to the JLs tailgate door or Ford's that extends from the tailgate, is a place of easy access to things like tools being used at the immediate moment, hopefully in the light of day, that the table's outside placement facilitates visibility to.

I agree: I think the cap on the Gladiator is sweet, but I'm not sure it's the solution here.

OldMarine

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Things Ford got right with the Bronco:
1) The Roll Out…just fantastic
2) Rear cup holders…oops
3) Rear A/C…oops
4) MIC Top 1.0, 2.0…oh, forget it

Actually I like the 2D Bronco and I still have a 1st week reservation. What Ford did get right was price protection, as I and others wait for the MOD Top from the reveal. Oh never mind, just got the email. I have to order the Bronco they’re willing to build, not the one I want based on their reveal, 2 years later or they will cancel my reservation.

I love that they’re making (attempting to make) Broncos and I think competition is great. But, I love my JLUW and JEEP built what I ordered and let me get off road with my family.
Maybe Ford gets it right with the Bronco eventually, but it hasn’t been for the first few years of production and it doesn’t look good for the short term either.
So, I’ll enjoy my JEEP and make memories instead of excuses for poor Ford execution.
And before you salty Bronco owners start crying, I give every Bronco I see a big thumbs up, both brands will be better in the long run.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Honest question. Have you measured the sound in db? I've read several articles about excessive noise. The db measurements I've seen posted reflect the Jeep is quieter:
I haven't. Only going off of driving JKs, JLs and Broncos.

My JK with a soft top and soft upper half doors on was so loud you couldn't cary a conversation above 55mph.

The soft top JL is a lot quieter than my old JK. But I do have to admit, that was with a new Bestop Trektop, not the OE soft top.

The Bronco has less wind noise (even though the back of the top lets in cold air) and carrying on convos at 70+ mph is no problem at all.

The only real novel idea that Bronco brought to the table is that the Sasquatch package can be had irrespective of trim. But Ford forces you to add so many options that getting the Sasquatch package becomes quite expensive in the end.
What options do they force you to get?

My wife has a Base Squatch with no options other than the OE rubber floor mats.

These comparisons always make me laugh. Thing to keep in mind is that the Jeep JL design was locked in for production well over two years before the Bronco, so Ford had a known target to shoot for. But the product cycles are staggered, so expect the JL replacement before the next generation Bronco. Will Jeep address a lot of the competitive differences in regards to the Bronco? You bet, and some of us will be discussing all that on the JX Forum in a few short years...
That's what I'm hoping for.... Jeep to come out with some cool new changes that will make Ford try even harder on their next go-around.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Oranges? O.J. drove a Bronco one time.. 🍊

Anyway, just curious, is there something inherently wrong with wanting a little more power from a gasoline engine, without wanting to spend $70k or buy a hybrid? Just seems like you're really against the idea for some reason.

I personally think a little competition between brands is a good thing, and a factory-installed supercharger on the Pentastar would be a great choice (or the 3.0 i6 S.O.) to counter Ford's 2.7L engine option. Whether or not that particular engine sucks and spontaneously implodes at 61k miles, doesn't necessarily mean that Jeep will suddenly offer anything less reliable than what they're offering now.
Since you're asking. No, there isn't anything wrong with wanting more power, but it comes at a cost, and that should be part of the conversation. Everyone is going to make their choices, but they should have enough information to make an informed decision. Comparing Ford's most powerful engine against Jeep's least powerful engine seems disingenuous.

I paid a lot of attention to the Bronco, as I had a day one reservation, day one order and only cancelled my order when I was told the wait on my day one order would be at least another 12 months, probably closer to 18 (after already waiting six months to order). I'm still active on Bronco forum(s).

Now, here's my subjective comments, based on being a customer for the Bronco. What Ford did was market the sh*te out of this thing. Almost everything they touted was a "gimmick" and directly based on Wrangler "specs" on paper. Ford didn't deliver a practical difference; more power, but only with more expensive fuel and worse mileage; "modularity" that no one will use and almost every other vehicle provides; "bead lock capable" wheels; additional lift, but at the expense of articulation; "stay-bar disconnect" that works under load, but everyone disconnects their sway bar before being under load, GOAT modes that are basically taken from the Toyota 4Runner Crawl Control and Multi-Terrain Select...we could go on and on. Ford put a spin on everything, but it's really a Toyota 4Runner knock-off designed to exceed (on paper) the Wrangler's specs.

So, "is there something inherently wrong with wanting a little more power from a gasoline engine, without wanting to spend $70k or buy a hybrid". Not at all, but Ford's offerings are not it. Jeep has more offerings to cover a wider range of needs. Ford offers "eco" or "boost", but doesn't really offer Ecoboost; additionally, it's at too high a cost (fuel cost, maintenance and overall lack of reliability).

Is there something inherently wrong with not wanting more than adequate power from a gasoline engine, and not giving up reliability or increasing cost to use?

I used worst/best numbers here:

Jeep offers the following (hp/tq; mpg)
2.0L - 270/295; 21 - 24
3.0L - 260/442; 22 - 29
3.6L - 285/260; 17 - 20
6.4L - 470/470; 14 - 17

Ford offers the following (hp/tq;mpg)
2.3L - 275/315; 17 - 21
2.7L - 315/410; 17 - 20
Braptor 3.0L - 400 (with premium fuel, torque not listed); 15 - 16
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD