Sponsored

Things Ford Got Right with the Bronco Vs the Wrangler

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
18K miles and no issues. My 4xe will eat your Broncos for breakfast.
When they work, they are amazing.
I've said that several times.

But when people have trouble, its a cluster eff. The quality isn't universally bad. Its inconsistent.

No loaner
Inadequately trained technicians
Parts that take weeks to arrive

It will eat any Bronco other than a Raptor for lunch and any Jeep other than a 392 for lunch.

The potential is amazing. Too bad its unrealized in this version 1.0 effort.
Sponsored

Raptorz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler sport s
One feature I donā€™t think I saw mentioned, the bronco has an interesting looking quick disconnect fenders that can be removed on the trail etc without tools.

having removed one fender on my wrangler I broke at least 10 plastic tabs.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
OMFG have been avoiding this forum as much as possible for the last 6 months because I am really f'n tired of the wrangler vs. bronco bs. Its rather like listening to Highway to the Danger Zone, over and over again...

Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone...

Sponsored

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
The Bronco has a non-self-destructing manual transmission. Thatā€™s a big plus in my book.
You know, John VJ, I have been meaning to say for some time that you just have a way at cutting to the chase with your posts. You crack me up every time, but it's all legit feedback. Your avatar is appropriate. Two thumbs up, WAY up! šŸ‘ šŸ‘

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Bronco has a non-self-destructing manual transmission. Thatā€™s a big plus in my book.
Yup. Unfortunately, itā€™s mated to a self-destructing engine.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I drove a Bronco before buying my JL to replace my JK.
1. Mirrors on body.
2. Doors without window frames. The opening is so big itā€™s almost like built in 1/2 doors with the windows down.
3. There isnā€™t a cross bar across the top so itā€™s awesomely wide open for the back passengers.
4. I must be getting old because I dig the 11 inch screen. I think thatā€™s about how big the screen was on my first Mac in ā€˜86.
Honestly I don't get the "plus" in mirrors on body. When you take doors off and hit the trail, mirrors you can't remove can get damaged in narrow spots. Now if you are just cruising the mall parking lots I guess you want the mirrors.

They both fall short. They should make easy detach mirrors in both so you can quickly pop them off on the trails. Why force them to be on the body or doors when not needed.

I just hope neither vehicle does the video rear view mirror. I hate those! I need a real mirror I can move my head and see other angles. It's like watching tv and trying to see what's off screen. Back up cameras are nice, but give me a real mirror!

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Islander
Honestly I don't get the "plus" in mirrors on body. When you take doors off and hit the trail, mirrors you can't remove can get damaged in narrow spots. Now if you are just cruising the mall parking lots I guess you want the mirrors.

They both fall short. They should make easy detach mirrors in both so you can quickly pop them off on the trails. Why force them to be on the body or doors when not needed.

I just hope neither vehicle does the video rear view mirror. I hate those! I need a real mirror I can move my head and see other angles. It's like watching tv and trying to see what's off screen. Back up cameras are nice, but give me a real mirror!
I drive with doors off more often than drive with them on. And I hit the trails less often than I drive it on the road. Sadly, thatā€™s the life I have. Mall parking lots and most public roads in general require mirrors. And usually Iā€™m driving to hit the trails with my doors already off. If I were to trailer my Jeep everywhere I could see not having a need for mirrors.

Quick release mirrors would be great. But I wonder how quickly thieves would release them. Interesting.

I agree that video rear view mirrors are the worst option.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a Bronco before buying my JL to replace my JK.
1. Mirrors on body.
2. Doors without window frames. The opening is so big itā€™s almost like built in 1/2 doors with the windows down.
3. There isnā€™t a cross bar across the top so itā€™s awesomely wide open for the back passengers.
4. I must be getting old because I dig the 11 inch screen. I think thatā€™s about how big the screen was on my first Mac in ā€˜86.
I found the wobbly frameless windows a big turnoff every time I opened the doors on a Bronco.

After making a big deal of Bronco not having a cross bar, Ford added a cross bar to the new Braptor. So much for the solidity of the original setup.
Jeep Wrangler JL Things Ford Got Right with the Bronco Vs the Wrangler 1664311103281

Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
OMFG have been avoiding this forum as much as possible for the last 6 months because I am really f'n tired of the wrangler vs. bronco bs. Its rather like listening to Highway to the Danger Zone, over and over again...

Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone... Highway to the bronco zone...
Wellness check, aisle four.

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found the wobbly frameless windows a big turnoff every time I opened the doors on a Bronco.

Ford added a cross bar to the new Braptor; so much for the solidity of the current setup.
View attachment 660850
Bummer for the Braptor.
One of my other cars has frameless windows. I consider the wobbly leaky nature inherent in the desing a flaw I can live with.
ā€œNever shut the door by the window!ā€Canā€™t count the number of times Iā€™ve yelled that out in my life.

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You should avoid it better!
šŸ˜

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I drive with doors off more often than drive with them on. And I hit the trails less often than I drive it on the road. Sadly, thatā€™s the life I have. Mall parking lots and most public roads in general require mirrors. And usually Iā€™m driving to hit the trails with my doors already off. If I were to trailer my Jeep everywhere I could see not having a need for mirrors.

Quick release mirrors would be great. But I wonder how quickly thieves would release them. Interesting.

I agree that video rear view mirrors are the worst option.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the whole theft thing. Geez. Batteries from under hood, spare tires, then it'll be mirrors.

Well there goes my great idea. Jeep could at least throw in those little round hinge mount mirrors with that tool kit

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Bummer for the Braptor.
One of my other cars has frameless windows. I consider the wobbly leaky nature inherent in the desing a flaw I can live with.
ā€œNever shut the door by the window!ā€Canā€™t count the number of times Iā€™ve yelled that out in my life.
I hear you. My Fiat Spider has frameless windows as well. Having said that, I expect my Jeep to withstand much more road vibrations and body flex than my Spider.

Which brings me to one of my key beefs about Bronco: it is as if Ford figured it had little worthwhile to learn from Jeepā€™s 80 years building off-road vehicles, so it came up with its own set of ā€œsolutionsā€ that look cool on Instagram and in the showroom but, as time is proving more and more, donā€™t work nearly as well on the trail.
Sponsored