They don’t remove hinges to paint?

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Has anyone else noticed their hinges on the tailgate missing paint around the edges and in the bolts?

Little disappointed they don’t paint them separately.
Sponsored

Tom73

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500, 1967 Chevy 2
Unfortunately it’s common place and increases the likelihood of future paint issues due to dissimilar metals. If you want nightmares search the forums for hinge bubbles.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Unfortunately it’s common place and increases the likelihood of future paint issues due to dissimilar metals. If you want nightmares search the forums for hinge bubbles.
Crappy

Wonder if I should have it fixed. Jeep should fix it under warranty. But I would assume this would require me to take it back to the dealership I purchased her and that’s seven hours away.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
The lack of paint underneath the hinges will lead to paint bubbling. I've had one door repaired already. The dealership body shop did not disassemble to repaint.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
The lack of paint underneath the hinges will lead to paint bubbling. I've had one door repaired already. The dealership body shop did not disassemble to repaint.
So, you took it to have it repaired and they still didn’t remove the hinges to paint underneath?

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Has anyone else noticed their hinges on the tailgate missing paint around the edges and in the bolts?

I posted in another thread about how I used to work at a Chrysler assembly plant several decades ago. Some of my years there was spent in the paint shop. When the vehicles came through they already had all of the doors and liftgate attached to the vehicle, thus no painting between the hinges and body. I suspect it is the same procedure for the Wrangler.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
wranglers are utility vehicles. not really for the connoisseur crowd.

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Crappy

Wonder if I should have it fixed. Jeep should fix it under warranty. But I would assume this would require me to take it back to the dealership I purchased her and that’s seven hours away.
You can take it to any Jeep dealership.

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
I posted in another thread about how I used to work at a Chrysler assembly plant several decades ago. Some of my years there was spent in the paint shop. When the vehicles came through they already had all of the doors and liftgate attached to the vehicle, thus no painting between the hinges and body. I suspect it is the same procedure for the Wrangler.
Gotta love that paint shop! </end sarcasm> Nothing has changed. I'm pretty sure that no manufacturer paints door hinges separately.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
They have always painted the body after all the hinges were installed onto it. It’s in all the build videos on YouTube of the factory assembly line. Why do you think sooo many owners are seeing galvanic corrosion all around their hinges?? Because it’s constant metal on metal contact of the steel hinge and aluminum door and over time some water gets in there as well and stays in between the hinges, accelerating the corrosion. Major recipe for disaster imo, and the painting method still hasn’t changed even for the 2021 models. I’m surprised that every single jeep is not having problems a few months after being built.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!

Yea this is a common problem. I have had mine in the body shop once already and it is going back in for more paint work very soon. Like others have said, search (Paint bubbling issue, and Door Hinge Bubbling) that will show you all you need to see. You can bring it to any Jeep dealer though..... just gotta find the right one who will take care of it no questions asked. Ive seen stories of people who have had claims denied because the dealer doesnt want to handle the work load.

Mine started bubbling around 8 months or so. Around the tailgate hinges, both door hinges, as well as on the front of the hood.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

No they don’t.

We are lucky they don’t paint over the windows and the tires!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It was crazy to see just how little paint was around and under the hinges on the Black loaner i had for a month.
Yeah. I’ve seen other members post photos of paint missing around the fold down windshield and the door hinges.

I’m happy to report my JL apparently was painted right after they refilled the tanks with paint!
Sponsored