Sponsored

These Long Island dealership thinks its still Covid LOL

cycler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 VW Golf GTI Autobahn, 2022 Jeep GC 4Xe
Apparently Merrick Jeep on Long Island thinks Covid is still around. They are one of 3 dealerships on Long Island still selling current inventory as well in transit vehicles $2500 over sticker. https://www.merrickdodgechryslerjee...ex.htm?make=Jeep&model=Wrangler+4xe#inventory The other two are Garden City Jeep and Westbury Jeep. Ok that's not actually true. They dont tack on $2500 over sticker. Instead the car is discounted a certain %. Although some cars dont even have a discount. They just have the words incentives with a certain amount. I didn't calculate the % off sticker on every car when I saw the $ amount discount listed. One Jeep Saraha 4Xe was discounted $5050 which is 7.93% off sticker. Then they applied $7250 in incentives And right below that are the words Price Adjustment $2500. Price adjustment adds $2500 after all the discounts and incentives were applied. A few Sahara 4Xes were discounted $5050 with $7250 in incentives applied. And $2500 added to the cost. Other Sahara 4Xes only had $7250 in incentives applied and $2500 added to the cost as a price adjustment. The Rubicon 4Xes had $6000 in incentives applied and $2500 added to the cost as a price adjustment. All their in transit Willys 4Xes have $6500 in incentives and $2500 added to the cost as a price adjustment. I took at look at all the other models on their website. Every car they are selling or leasing has a $2500 price adjustment added. If interested, click on the link. Choose any Jeep 4Xe and click on it. Then scroll down until you see a grey box below the words Financing Calculator. The words Lease, Finance and Cash show each payment below. Click on the little + and the price breakdown will appear. Some cars have discounts off of sticker, and some do not.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Apparently Merrick Jeep on Long Island thinks Covid is still around. They are one of 3 dealerships on Long Island still selling current inventory as well in transit vehicles $2500 over sticker. https://www.merrickdodgechryslerjee...ex.htm?make=Jeep&model=Wrangler+4xe#inventory The other two are Garden City Jeep and Westbury Jeep. Ok that's not actually true. They dont tack on $2500 over sticker. Instead the car is discounted a certain %. Although some cars dont even have a discount. They just have the words incentives with a certain amount. I didn't calculate the % off sticker on every car when I saw the $ amount discount listed. One Jeep Saraha 4Xe was discounted $5050 which is 7.93% off sticker. Then they applied $7250 in incentives And right below that are the words Price Adjustment $2500. Price adjustment adds $2500 after all the discounts and incentives were applied. A few Sahara 4Xes were discounted $5050 with $7250 in incentives applied. And $2500 added to the cost. Other Sahara 4Xes only had $7250 in incentives applied and $2500 added to the cost as a price adjustment. The Rubicon 4Xes had $6000 in incentives applied and $2500 added to the cost as a price adjustment. All their in transit Willys 4Xes have $6500 in incentives and $2500 added to the cost as a price adjustment. I took at look at all the other models on their website. Every car they are selling or leasing has a $2500 price adjustment added. If interested, click on the link. Choose any Jeep 4Xe and click on it. Then scroll down until you see a grey box below the words Financing Calculator. The words Lease, Finance and Cash show each payment below. Click on the little + and the price breakdown will appear. Some cars have discounts off of sticker, and some do not.
Ok.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like the airlines.

I had to buy an airfare from Bellingham to LAX the other day: the $84 ticket became $500 by the time I picked a seat, a carry-on piece and a return flight...

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
People will still buy from them because they don’t want to travel to buy. If they were not selling vehicles off the lot then they would be forced to change their approach or go out of business.

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
@cycler dealerships in relatively affluent areas like the ones you describe have clients who buy Wranglers not simply for themselves but their kids. These buyers tend to have more money than time or information and will pay for the convenience of buying locally off the lot or in inventory.

Unless you need your Wrangler in a rush, why not factory order it from Koons in Vienna VA? The discount, plus the fact that you don't pay for features you don't want, or do without those you did want, make taking the LIRR to Penn Station, Amtrack to Union Station DC, and the DC metro Orange Line West to Dunn Loring Merrifield Station, from which you can walk to Koons and then drive home, all in one day, worth the trip, IMHO.

aceshigh73

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4xe Sahara
Email Mitch @ Ourisman in Baltimore and take the Amtrak or fly to BWI and get a solid no BS deal. Just did it 3 weeks ago.
The Suffolk county dealerships I visited were all over sticker. Or were sticker with a BS protection package. Neither would honor affiliate. Told them to pound sand.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
This is not surprising. Hell...I bet a substantial number of people on this forum buy off the lot. People let instant gratification get the better of them.

Plumbean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon XR
@cycler dealerships in relatively affluent areas like the ones you describe have clients who buy Wranglers not simply for themselves but their kids. These buyers tend to have more money than time or information and will pay for the convenience of buying locally off the lot or in inventory.

Unless you need your Wrangler in a rush, why not factory order it from Koons in Vienna VA? The discount, plus the fact that you don't pay for features you don't want, or do without those you did want, make taking the LIRR to Penn Station, Amtrack to Union Station DC, and the DC metro Orange Line West to Dunn Loring Merrifield Station, from which you can walk to Koons and then drive home, all in one day, worth the trip, IMHO.
I live on Long Island and went to one of these dealerships, as well as my local one, before ordering from Koons. I called the salesman at my local dealership (who was a nice guy) to give him one last chance to handle my order. When I told him the deal I had with Koons, he exclaimed "That's a great deal! You should take it!"

Sponsored

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
People will still buy from them because they don’t want to travel to buy. If they were not selling vehicles off the lot then they would be forced to change their approach or go out of business.
Bingo.
MOST, and I mean most in a big way, people are more impulse buyers and when they decide, they want to drive it home that day or the next day. Dealerships know this. It's not a secret (except to Jeep people who hand out on forums and believe most vehicles are ordered and waited for like they did or do).
They know they'll sell them. It's no big deal.
My thing is - if you don't like it, why is it bothering people so much?

------------------------------------------------------

It's called supply and demand, capitalism. If the price is too high, it won't sell. If it sells too fast, the dealer learns and ups the price on the next one.
If you don't like the price, then don't buy it. It's simple. And yet over and over, week after week, forums, fakebook, you name it, someone is laughing or mocking a price (and they have no intent of buying anyway so why does it bother them so?)
Anything, any car, any truck, any SUV, any brick, any shirt, any house, anything you can think of, is worth what the buyer and seller agree it's worth. It doesn't matter what the armchair experts and economists on the web think or believe.
If it sells, then it was worth it to that buyer.
My parents, my neighbors, even myself and my wife for decades, went shopping, and bought off the lot. If we could do the price and we liked the vehicle, we bought it. If we didn't like the vehicle or couldn't afford the price or thought it too high, we went elsewhere.
I don't know why this bothers so many people.
The majority walk (or drive) to a dealership, look around, find what they like, and they buy it.

There's also "hassle costs". I don't care to take time to fly or mess around with my time. Plus - those you order from at a discount often won't talk trade. I ran into that last summer - The big discounters would sell me a Jeep at a great price, and it would take me 2 days to go get it, miles on the vehicle, time from me when I could be making hundreds of dollars by staying home, and they'd not even talk trade.
I found a local dealership who didn't do deep discounts (but did take the affiliate discount just for me - otherwise they were MSRP only, period) - he guaranteed me a price for my trade - higher than anyone else and higher than most internet buyers.
I could have saved a grand or two more - but why for the hassle?
I took my trade to them, picked up my new Jeep. Done deal. No long drive, no flights, no hassle.
It's not "instant gratification" - it's because there's a cost to the hassle of going out of state or ordering. Sometimes it's direct money costs. Waiting 2 months for a new one to come in could mean that the 2 grand you saved was lost in the decrease in your trade. This local guy guaranteed my trade value in writing no matter how long it took (he knew my Jeep and knew he could flip it in less than a week)
People who think they are saving big often don't count their time as being worth anything at all.
Plus, Man, do I get treated like a king when I go in for service! Yes sir, we'll see if we can work it in, yes, sir - we can do that. They even diagnosed a problem that ended up not being a warranty issue, spent almost an hour on it, no charge.
I could have saved going to a place like Gupton - and spent 2 days getting the thing here, and then hassling with selling my current Jeep. Too many unknowns. I'd have had hundreds of miles on it getting it back, an overnight stay, a flight going down, rental vehicle to get to Gupton, gas, and my time worth a fair amount of $$. Gupton wouldn't even discuss my trade. They said "we'll talk about your current Jeep when the new one comes in" and they don't like to take trades for big money when they are selling at heavy discount. 3 dealers would have given me a decent discount, but not a one of them would even talk to me, not even a RANGE, on trade. And one dealer told me it was because it was like betting on markets - things could drop big for any reason and they'd be stuck giving more for a trade than they'd get selling it after their work went into it.

Do what you want, buy how you want to buy, but to diss others for their way of buying when you have no clue what their personal situation is - wow.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Bingo.
MOST, and I mean most in a big way, people are more impulse buyers and when they decide, they want to drive it home that day or the next day. Dealerships know this. It's not a secret (except to Jeep people who hand out on forums and believe most vehicles are ordered and waited for like they did or do).
They know they'll sell them. It's no big deal.
My thing is - if you don't like it, why is it bothering people so much?

------------------------------------------------------

It's called supply and demand, capitalism. If the price is too high, it won't sell. If it sells too fast, the dealer learns and ups the price on the next one.
If you don't like the price, then don't buy it. It's simple. And yet over and over, week after week, forums, fakebook, you name it, someone is laughing or mocking a price (and they have no intent of buying anyway so why does it bother them so?)
Anything, any car, any truck, any SUV, any brick, any shirt, any house, anything you can think of, is worth what the buyer and seller agree it's worth. It doesn't matter what the armchair experts and economists on the web think or believe.
If it sells, then it was worth it to that buyer.
My parents, my neighbors, even myself and my wife for decades, went shopping, and bought off the lot. If we could do the price and we liked the vehicle, we bought it. If we didn't like the vehicle or couldn't afford the price or thought it too high, we went elsewhere.
I don't know why this bothers so many people.
The majority walk (or drive) to a dealership, look around, find what they like, and they buy it.

There's also "hassle costs". I don't care to take time to fly or mess around with my time. Plus - those you order from at a discount often won't talk trade. I ran into that last summer - The big discounters would sell me a Jeep at a great price, and it would take me 2 days to go get it, miles on the vehicle, time from me when I could be making hundreds of dollars by staying home, and they'd not even talk trade.
I found a local dealership who didn't do deep discounts (but did take the affiliate discount just for me - otherwise they were MSRP only, period) - he guaranteed me a price for my trade - higher than anyone else and higher than most internet buyers.
I could have saved a grand or two more - but why for the hassle?
I took my trade to them, picked up my new Jeep. Done deal. No long drive, no flights, no hassle.
It's not "instant gratification" - it's because there's a cost to the hassle of going out of state or ordering. Sometimes it's direct money costs. Waiting 2 months for a new one to come in could mean that the 2 grand you saved was lost in the decrease in your trade. This local guy guaranteed my trade value in writing no matter how long it took (he knew my Jeep and knew he could flip it in less than a week)
People who think they are saving big often don't count their time as being worth anything at all.
Plus, Man, do I get treated like a king when I go in for service! Yes sir, we'll see if we can work it in, yes, sir - we can do that. They even diagnosed a problem that ended up not being a warranty issue, spent almost an hour on it, no charge.
I could have saved going to a place like Gupton - and spent 2 days getting the thing here, and then hassling with selling my current Jeep. Too many unknowns. I'd have had hundreds of miles on it getting it back, an overnight stay, a flight going down, rental vehicle to get to Gupton, gas, and my time worth a fair amount of $$. Gupton wouldn't even discuss my trade. They said "we'll talk about your current Jeep when the new one comes in" and they don't like to take trades for big money when they are selling at heavy discount. 3 dealers would have given me a decent discount, but not a one of them would even talk to me, not even a RANGE, on trade. And one dealer told me it was because it was like betting on markets - things could drop big for any reason and they'd be stuck giving more for a trade than they'd get selling it after their work went into it.

Do what you want, buy how you want to buy, but to diss others for their way of buying when you have no clue what their personal situation is - wow.
You didn't mention the single biggest advantage the dealer has in the trade-in process: the sales tax shield.

I used to always trade, but once I mastered the sell-it-yourself approach, I never looked back. The key is to spend time on the preparation of the ad, and to come up with a reasonable price and stick to it. I'm clear with potential buyers that i won't drop the price even a little bit. Saves a ton of traffic - I usually sell to the first person responding.

[I suspect that the dealer makes way more on selling your trade than selling you the new car. That should speak volumes.]

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
@cycler I'm not sure if you're familiar with the marketing behind below invoice (let alone MSRP) pricing for factory orders. There are several dealers who legitimately offer it.

Stellantis offers dealers discounts for the amount of product they move, which is heightened by offering such prices, and those discounts are in part shared essentially with the purchaser.

The dealer makes a smaller but more frequent profit on a larger quantity of sales.

OP
OP

cycler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 VW Golf GTI Autobahn, 2022 Jeep GC 4Xe

Thanks for the info. Regarding what you mentioned about the area I mentioned. I live 2 miles away from Merrick Jeep which is actually located in Wantagh which is two towns away from Merrick LOL. They would never get my business. Not just because of tacking on $2500. But for a variety of other reasons. Long Island has 16 Jeep dealerships. Many of them are either in nice neighborhoods. Or one or two towns over from nice neighborhoods. Of the 16 dealerships. These 3 are selling $2500 over sticker. With so many dealerships to choose from. People in nice neighborhoods will go to other areas. Or just call. However no dealerships in the NYC, or Long Island region give high discounts along with all the rebates Jeep offers. Thats why I used a broker when I got my wifes 2022 Jeep GC 4Xe December 2022. Even with paying the broker a $599 broker fee upfront. Paying that high FL $1200 dealer fee and $750 shipping fee (both rolled into my payment along with tax). Due at signing on a $66445 car for a 27/10 lease was $882. That was for my $462 1st payment and $420 gov fee. And the bought out my wifes 2020 Acura lease leaving me with $2918 of equity to use towards the cap cost reduction. Here in NY the most I was left with on a buyout was $1400. The lowest payment I was quoted for was $680 a month and the highest was $740. The dealers laughed and said I would never get that deal. It was bait and switch. So after the car was delivered. I drove to Merrick Jeep with the new Jeep and lease contract. Showed it to them and said your loss. And fyi if you recall. I never asked you match the offer from the broker because of the extra fees I was paying. He said what you wanted it for free. So I quoted the line from Pretty Woman somewhat. I said Big mistake....Big Mistake. Me New Wrangler around March or April together with my neighbor. New Jeep for my daughter in Nov. New Jeep for my sister in Feb. Big mistake Big mistake. My sister got a Jeep in Feb. Im debating on whether getting a 2023 Jeep Sahara 4xe this April from a dealer in MD because of how long one of their Jeeps is. Although it doesnt have cold weather. So they quoted me on installing the cold weather heated seat parts which wasnt that bad. As a joke I asked if they would match a brokers discount that I sent them. He said he would match it on any in stock unit. But after watching this video on the 2024 Jeep Wrangler which came out Friday. The video confirms some of safety features which were part of options before. Those are now standard. The video may also have given us an idea what the price increase could be. The guy mentions a $2000 price increase on the lowest Jeep Wrangler model. I would assume there is a $2000 price increase across the board? Maybe Ill wait and just place a custom order for one.

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
I don't understand why folks would spend any time dunking on dealership they have no intention of working with or buying from in the first place. If they want to charge "too much," don't buy from them. Easy peasy.

Sure I'm one of those weird people that factory ordered my Jeep and waited 5 months for it to be built and arrive. But very few people will do that. And y'know what, if you're someone who's making good money (as many in Nassau and Suffolk do, where median household income is well over $100k/yr), do you think they care about paying $2500 over sticker? They probably care a whole lot more about having the truck for those 5 months, and being able to drive it home from a dealership 20 miles from their house.

Dealerships like this don't need the business of the savvy discerning buyers hanging out on forums. They just need the business of a few hundred people in the immediate surrounding area. They'll get it.
Sponsored