Sponsored

"There is no Service Bulletin for that just a TSB" - Whistling Windshield

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just annoyed right now.

I have a loud whistle from the windshield in my Jeep. I scheduled an appointment and went in to have it looked at. I bought a CPO Jeep at a different dealership but took it to the closest to my home.

Round and round we go, since the other Dealership had replaced the windshield getting it to Certified Pre-Owned status he is saying that they can't touch it. I asked about the Service Bulletin and he was quick with "There is no service bulletin for this, just a TSB". I asked, what does the SB in TSB stand for, he said "Service Bulletin". And then gave me the straight faced Duh stare that he deserved.

I called the dealership I got it from and they insisted that they should have helped out and "the guy probably just didn't want to do the work". Well great glad I wasted my morning. Appointment setup next week at the much further dealership.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't there when you test drove it? Add anything like lights? I added some lights and had whistle. Turned out was heat fins causing it. Put tubing between fins and whistle gone.

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Bought the Jeep on a Friday, wheeled it all weekend and that Monday when I went to wash it literal water was streaming from the top of the windshield inside across the dash in multiple places.

I took it back they repaired it and gave it back.

I do know it is the windshield making noise. I put tape across the top and it went away immediately. It was glorious. Until the tape started pealing off from the wind. Pulled over and removed it. Hopped back on Whistling came right back.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
When whomever replaced the windshield, they undoubtedly left a small gap in the bead of adhesive they used to secure/place the windshield with. Probably the gap is right under where you placed the tape.

The windshield will need to be pulled. Unfortunately the windshield has a big chance of breaking when they go to pull it. Prudent installer, has a new windshield there at the shop just in case.

Anyway, if they can get the windshield loose, intact (sometimes doable) they can re-install, taking care to get the adhesive all the way around the before they set the windshield.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Why does the windshield have to be pulled ? The sealant can be applied to eliminate the whistle without removal, If its not leaking, as the first one did, sealant will fix this. There is a TSB, I believe

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why does the windshield have to be pulled ? The sealant can be applied to eliminate the whistle without removal, If its not leaking, as the first one did, sealant will fix this. There is a TSB, I believe
No true at all. If it is in fact missing sealant in regard to the replacement windshield, you can't go back and add missing sealant. Windshield must be pulled. Adhesive/Sealant lies between back side of windshield and metal body that windshield is affixed to. I'm not speculating either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
No true at all. If it is in fact missing sealant in regard to the replacement windshield, you can't go back and add missing sealant. Windshield must be pulled. Adhesive/Sealant lies between back side of windshield and metal body that windshield is affixed to. I'm not speculating either.
The Dealership that is going to be fixing it basically said all the stuff you said. They have to remove the windshield and there is a 90% chance it will break in the process. They will reuse it if they can but he said it is not likely.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Dealership that is going to be fixing it basically said all the stuff you said. They have to remove the windshield and there is a 90% chance it will break in the process. They will reuse it if they can but he said it is not likely.
Geeeez, I was right again ..... oh my.............:CWL:

Let us know the end result. You'll be past this soon hopefully.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I asked about the Service Bulletin and he was quick with "There is no service bulletin for this, just a TSB". I asked, what does the SB in TSB stand for, he said "Service Bulletin". And then gave me the straight faced Duh stare that he deserved.
the American Education system has failed and it shows.
Sponsored