Sponsored

Theft via Reprogrammer

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I assume it must be a franchised operation as here it's 'California and Arizona Ravelco' and they have a special running now as I just placed an order...$599.95 less 10% for AAA members, so $539.96 (not including tax)
No mention of extra charge for being a diesel.
I was looking at their website.
Sponsored

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
Keyfob can be hacked even if you don't press a button... here is a video explaining how this "Key Fob Relay Attack" happens... juicy details start at 3:30 on the video

Heh, I'm curious what gets thief 2 first, my shotgun or my shepherd. :LOL: 🔫🐕

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I was looking at their website.
I looked them up and then Google reviews, hit negetative to filter out the paid for reviews. I like to look to see how companies response to detailed negative reviews. The few I seen where a bit combative and some, like they the victims.

It seems the quality of the product, is dependent on the installer.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

Sponsored

JuzaMe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vmcrugbychairs.com
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ, 2005 Duramax, 2022 JLURD(ordered 1/17/22)
Occupation
Working on being a burden to my children.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Get a manual transmission and they won't know how to drive it.
I now wonder how we had a customer that had a manual Challenger and it was stolen. Then I figured it out. They used a tow truck. Joke is on them as they won't be able to operate it. I have been told all over the intranets that it's a fact, no thieves can drive manuals. I also feel bad for the dumb theives that do get into a manual car and have no idea how to operate it and promptly jam it into gear, grenading the transmission, then leave. I doubt that insurance or warranty will cover that. On the other hand, you still got your car.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You could also do old school German car theft prevention (since they have had fuel injection since the 60's). Just hide a switch that interrupts the power or ground for the fuel pump. It might throw a code for a DI motor if someone tries to start it without fuel pressure.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I keep leaving the doors unlocked, windows down and the fob inside the jeep. Its still out there every morning. Im at a loss. Any ideas??
Park it at the end of the driveway and put a "FREE" sign on it. If that doesnt work, then move it somewhere else. My RV has been unlocked since I owned it and the second set of keys are in it. I also have the front up on car ramps (to level it out) and that makes it super easy to steal the CAT off of it too ($200 scrap for an E450 CAT). So far no takers. I wonder if I should steal my own CAT. It would take me 30 seconds to do so. Then I could buy some goodies for the Jeep.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I keep leaving the doors unlocked, windows down and the fob inside the jeep. Its still out there every morning. I'm at a loss. Any ideas??
If that's true, anonymize your location. Soon enough, one of our betters will notice and decide its too nice...too...something...to be allowed to continue in its present form. ;)

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I just insure the Jeep, including all the custom stuff and usually leave it outside naked. If it gets stolen, I guess I get to build a new one and I have it all on camera (pretty sure the very obviously placed camera is a deterrent with motion lights).
I hope to have my new one within seven months of ordering it back in December. I'm not sure that what you described is something that makes sense to most of us.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
There is no solution to auto theft. You can “target harden” sure and that does help with the joy riding type crowd, but if “for profit” thieves want your Jeep they WILL get it. Overall your best protection is just really good insurance coverage. It will cost more, but knowing all will be replaced takes the worry away.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
There is no solution to auto theft. You can “target harden” sure and that does help with the joy riding type crowd, but if “for profit” thieves want your Jeep they WILL get it.
Here's an encapsulation of a separate and compelling Reddit thread on the subject of motorcycle theft. It has a fair bit of cross-pollination as it concerns protecting any vehicle against the risk of loss.

I say compelling because one of the contributors is a former skilled* vehicle thief, which, it must be said, is precisely from whom we'd want intel on the subject.

*I hesitate to attach the word "professional" to criminals, no matter their skill set.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Residing rurally has distinct disadvantages, though many more benefits: I don't even know where the keys to our home are; in town our offices are unlocked most all day while we go in and out for meetings; while not on vacation, at home or the office vehicles are rarely locked, (though we do not leave the keys or fobs in them); about town we lock them. When the sheriff passes me (and others) walking on the street he flashes his lights to wave, the fire chief does the same. Everything still happens in a small town, just not as often and typically the authorities have a good idea who may need a visit when it does. We live in an awesome country and given enough space most folks tend to their own business—
Sponsored