Sponsored

The Wrangler needs this...

Read original post below before answering...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Click Bait, I know. But here me out....

I don't have a JL, yet. I still have my 04 TJ and 16 Silverado. Whenever someone buys my TJ I have every intention of trading in my Silverado on a JLUR. However, a friend of mine who I camp and offroad with got me looking in the 5th Gen 4Runner TRD. Which I'm sure even just mentioning on here is is sacrilege. But in all honestly, it's probably one of the closest competitors to the Wrangler, just behind the ZR2.

So during my research into 4Runners, which I know absolutely nothing about, I keep seeing the same website www.trail4runner.com. For someone who is a newb and outsider to the Yota world, this website has been amazing and the more I read it, the more I'm being drawn to a 4Runner. The content, professionalism, and detailed step-by-step instructions on this website can easily help any newb build a bada$$ 4Runner without having to search through pages and pages of mildly somewhat unimportant although sometimes humorous post on a forum.

I am by no means new the Jeep world either. I'm also a mechanically inclined and wrenching on my own cars is nothing new and I even helped build a Ridler winning car a few years back. But what I'm getting at, is the Wrangler needs a website like Trail4Runner. (Which I'm not the guy to do it) Aftermarket support for the Wrangler is easily 10x that of both the Tacoma and 4Runner so Wrangler content would be tough to choose. As long as steps were thoroughly detailed with clear pictures, anyone can provide content. But the support it could provide, in addition to this forum, for new people would be extremely useful. Someone brand new to Wranglers may find the answer to their question that was asked 50 times before. I don't want to discourage new members from posting, but how often does a new member get beat down or receive sarcastic responses to a simple question and never to return? Maybe a blog on the homepage, similar to Trail4Runner, could help ease a new member and new Wrangler owners into the community.
Sponsored

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Click Bait, I know. But here me out....

I don't have a JL, yet. I still have my 04 TJ and 16 Silverado. Whenever someone buys my TJ I have every intention of trading in my Silverado on a JLUR. However, a friend of mine who I camp and offroad with got me looking in the 5th Gen 4Runner TRD. Which I'm sure even just mentioning on here is is sacrilege. But in all honestly, it's probably one of the closest competitors to the Wrangler, just behind the ZR2.

So during my research into 4Runners, which I know absolutely nothing about, I keep seeing the same website www.trail4runner.com. For someone who is a newb and outsider to the Yota world, this website has been amazing and the more I read it, the more I'm being drawn to a 4Runner. The content, professionalism, and detailed step-by-step instructions on this website can easily help any newb build a bada$$ 4Runner without having to search through pages and pages of mildly somewhat unimportant although sometimes humorous post on a forum.

I am by no means new the Jeep world either. I'm also a mechanically inclined and wrenching on my own cars is nothing new and I even helped build a Ridler winning car a few years back. But what I'm getting at, is the Wrangler needs a website like Trail4Runner. (Which I'm not the guy to do it) Aftermarket support for the Wrangler is easily 10x that of both the Tacoma and 4Runner so Wrangler content would be tough to choose. As long as steps were thoroughly detailed with clear pictures, anyone can provide content. But the support it could provide, in addition to this forum, for new people would be extremely useful. Someone brand new to Wranglers may find the answer to their question that was asked 50 times before. I don't want to discourage new members from posting, but how often does a new member get beat down or receive sarcastic responses to a simple question and never to return? Maybe a blog on the homepage, similar to Trail4Runner, could help ease a new member and new Wrangler owners into the community.
Google is your friend. There are a TON of websites that cater to Jeep just like Trail4Runner, Toyota-4Runner.org, YotaTech, Ih8mud, TacomaTerritory. Pirate4x4 is THE BEST source of tech info for offroad vehicle modification on the net, PERIOD. You just need to look around more.

Oh, and BTW, I own a 4Runner and while IMO, it's a much more reliable platform and, if built comparably, will outwheel an Unlimited Rubicon; it is not even remotely as capable in stock trim and building it to be comparable will cost ten's of thousands of dollars if you have someone else do the work and still be around $10K if you build it yourself and already made the huge investment in tools to do the job yourself.

OP
OP
spurly

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Google is your friend. There are a TON of websites that cater to Jeep just like Trail4Runner, Toyota-4Runner.org, YotaTech, Ih8mud, TacomaTerritory. Pirate4x4 is THE BEST source of tech info for offroad vehicle modification on the net, PERIOD. You just need to look around more.

Oh, and BTW, I own a 4Runner and while IMO, it's a much more reliable platform and, if built comparably, will outwheel an Unlimited Rubicon; it is not even remotely as capable in stock trim and building it to be comparable will cost ten's of thousands of dollars if you have someone else do the work and still be around $10K if you build it yourself and already made the huge investment in tools to do the job yourself.
I like to think I'm pretty good with Google, which is obviously where I found Trail4Runner. I've come across the other websites you listed and they are either forums or blogs dedicated to Toyota vehicles in general, unlike Trail4runner. And while I don't dispute the fact that Pirate4x4 is probably the best source, a lot of it is geared towards hardcore offroaders, and judging from your profile picture you probably fit the bill as someone who has a lot of knowledge pertaining to more advance mods.

My intention was to suggest a blog, not a forum, that would be formatted similarly to Trail4runner, that would be solely dedicated to the basics for Wranglers and to help newbies. Getting started, understanding lifts, wheels (backspacing, offsets, etc), racks, front/rear bumpers, lighting, etc. And even include step by step instructions. I enjoy reading forums, I hate reading through countless post that have nothing to do with the original post trying to find a follow up.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I like to think I'm pretty good with Google, which is obviously where I found Trail4Runner. I've come across the other websites you listed and they are either forums or blogs dedicated to Toyota vehicles in general, unlike Trail4runner. And while I don't dispute the fact that Pirate4x4 is probably the best source, a lot of it is geared towards hardcore offroaders, and judging from your profile picture you probably fit the bill as someone who has a lot of knowledge pertaining to more advance mods.

My intention was to suggest a blog, not a forum, that would be formatted similarly to Trail4runner, that would be solely dedicated to the basics for Wranglers and to help newbies. Getting started, understanding lifts, wheels (backspacing, offsets, etc), racks, front/rear bumpers, lighting, etc. And even include step by step instructions. I enjoy reading forums, I hate reading through countless post that have nothing to do with the original post trying to find a follow up.
The problem with blog posts is you get the OPINION of one author. What if he's wrong or what if he's a manufacturer's rep? I agree, sorting through the minutia of forum posts to glean good information is hardly better....but it's better in the sense that you generally ferret out the bad ideas by posters questioning the content thereof. Additionally, how do you get specifics to questions left unanswered by the author? Those forums aren't nearly as interactive...which is where a forum shines.

Looking through Trail4Runner...it does have its merits. I don't disagree that such a site would be useful. Are you proposing this site be structured the same way though?

OP
OP
spurly

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
The problem with blog posts is you get the OPINION of one author. What if he's wrong or what if he's a manufacturer's rep? I agree, sorting through the minutia of forum posts to glean good information is hardly better....but it's better in the sense that you generally ferret out the bad ideas by posters questioning the content thereof. Additionally, how do you get specifics to questions left unanswered by the author? Those forums aren't nearly as interactive...which is where a forum shines.

Looking through Trail4Runner...it does have its merits. I don't disagree that such a site would be useful. Are you proposing this site be structured the same way though?
You're right, there could be a problem with peoples opinion being thrown into a blog post. But if members submit a blog to be added, admins could proof the post beforehand.

I think this forum is great and by no means should it change. But if the JLwranglerforums homepage were re-purposed and re-tooled to include more blog posts and structured similar to that of Trail4Runner, I think it would get more traffic. Then members could refer to the forum for more help and information. Let's be honest, I'm sure most of us skip over the homepage entirely because the current post are.... well pointless.

Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I haven't gone to the mentioned 4Runner site, but the DIY Instructional Forums most forums already have tend to be good and as someone else mentioned they'll likely be vetted by other users.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/diy-write-ups-and-videos.16/

There is nothing better in this world than finding the exact detailed Youtube instructional video for what you're attempting.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're right, there could be a problem with peoples opinion being thrown into a blog post. But if members submit a blog to be added, admins could proof the post beforehand.

I think this forum is great and by no means should it change. But if the JLwranglerforums homepage were re-purposed and re-tooled to include more blog posts and structured similar to that of Trail4Runner, I think it would get more traffic. Then members could refer to the forum for more help and information. Let's be honest, I'm sure most of us skip over the homepage entirely because the current post are.... well pointless.
No offense to the admins/mods, but are we sure they know good info from bad? I'm a member of a lot of forums and often times the owners/mods don't have a good grasp on the product specifically in question; they simply own a site in which people talk about all the things associated with the products.

As I said before....I think the idea has merit....and potential pitfalls, but the biggest ones could be mitigated by the forum aspect. For instance, a bad blog gets posted....members talk about the issues in the forum. Problem I've seen is: often blogs are written by sponsors and admins have a vested interest in not pissing off the sponsors...so those blog posts stay and forum discussion in which inaccuracies are pointed out are censored.
Sponsored

Reactions: JAY
Status
Not open for further replies.