Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
THE WRANGLER MUSHY BRAKE SYNDROME
I FINLEY FIXED MY LOW SLOW TO RESPOND 2020 WRANGLER BRAKE PROBLEM
I will start from the beginning
When I first drove the jeep at the dealer I was impressed with the the brakes
The peddle firm and the response was quick
After having the jeep for about 3000K I noticed the brake peddle had got spongy and slow to responded
So the first thing I did was take it to the dealer and tell them something was wrong with the brakes
They checked it out and like others I have read about told me that they were normal
I told them that I am a retired auto technician and have done thousands of brake jobs in my 45 years working on cars AND IT IS NOT NORMAL
As I walked out I told them I will fix it my self
The first thing I did was power bleed the brakes NO CHANGE
The second thing I did was manually bleed the brakes NO CHANGE
The third thing was to machine the rotors and install Powerstop Z36 brake pads
The Powerstop Z36 brake pads work extremely well and stopped the jeep better PUT STILL HAVE LOW PEDDLE
It was not until I came across this video things started to make scene

I couldn't imagine that there would be a system on any vehicle that could induce air into a brake system
I now remember that I was off road about when the symptoms started to show up and the jeep had gone into anti spin mode meaning that the ABS pump had kited in to slow the spinning wheel AN AHA MOMENT
I first purchased a FOXWELL NT360 scanner and it did not work very well and I returned it and purchased an AUTEL MAXICOM MK808 and then realized I need a 12+8
cable adapter to get past the gateway module
After bleeding the brakes with the AUTEL scanner PROBLEM SOLVED
I now have my brake peddle back and no more double pumping the brakes when coming to a stop
You may be able to fix this problem with a less expensive scanner and a 12+8 cable adapter I don't Know put now I finely Know how to fix the problem if and when it happens again
And to the dealer I TOLD YOU I WOULD FIX IT
I hope this helps with you guys out there with the low spongy brake peddle
Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ok, I gotta ask, and hopefully will learn something I never did know; Why would you need an Autel Scanner (or equivalent) to bleed the brakes?

Thank you.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Why on earth would a former auto tech with 45 years experience think that changing pads and machining rotors would fix a spongy pedal?

Ok, I gotta ask, and hopefully will learn something I never did know; Why would you need an Autel Scanner (or equivalent) to bleed the brakes?

Thank you.
It’s not likely necessary, but if you can activate the ABS pump, it’s sometimes easier to get all of the air out of the system

Thank you.

OP
OP
Willys41

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys

Thank you.
Its not that you need a AUTEL scanner
You need a scanner to run the ABS pump to clear the air out of the system
It just like any tool You have the good the bad and the ugly
The other scanner I tried the manual consisted of about 4 pages and online was not any better
Watch the video he explains how the air gets in the system and how to remove it
Thanks

OP
OP
Willys41

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Why on earth would a former auto tech with 45 years experience think that changing pads and machining rotors would fix a spongy pedal?

It’s not likely necessary, but if you can activate the ABS pump, it’s sometimes easier to get all of the air out of the system
And as far as me turning the rotors and replacing the pads I for got to mention that during that time I upgraded the tires to 35in. and wanted to see if the z36 pads would help stopping power
And it did greatly improve stopping
I new that it would not fix the peddle problem
I have read that some people had done this trying to solve the problem and wanted people to know it was not going to solve the low peddle
On the powerstop Z36 pads you will notes that the fronts have about 20% more lining and the rears are about the same as factory

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Its not that you need a AUTEL scanner
You need a scanner to run the ABS pump to clear the air out of the system
Watch the video he explains how the air gets in the system and how to remove it
Thank you for explaining.

On the few ABS equipped vehicles I have owned and maintained it never occurred to me to bleed the brakes when the ABS electronics had power to operate.

OP
OP
Willys41

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Thank you for explaining.

On the few ABS equipped vehicles I have owned and maintained it never occurred to me to bleed the brakes when the ABS electronics had power to operate.
I have never had a problem like this ether and that is why it took me so long to find and solve the problem
It was just yesterday that I got the AUTEL scanner and 12+8 cable ran the ABS bleed on the jeep
I have put about 10 miles on the jeep and all is still good
I had been doing the double pump on the brakes for so long it took me a wile to get out of the habit
Time will tell and if it goes into anti lock or anti slip and the low peddle come back at lest I will know what I have to do
On my 2000 Tundra with 350K on it I have had the ABS come on many time and it never developed a low mushy peddle
Thanks

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Thanks for taking the time to share this. And shame on those whose first reply was sarcasm.
Didn’t really mean to sound sarcastic even though I can see why you think it was. There’s a lot of people that come to this forum for advice on “how-to”. My post was intended more to keep someone from wasting money on attempting a fix that will never cure a spongy brake pedal.

OP
OP
Willys41

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Didn’t really mean to sound sarcastic even though I can see why you think it was. There’s a lot of people that come to this forum for advice on “how-to”. My post was intended more to keep someone from wasting money on attempting a fix that will never cure a spongy brake pedal.
Exactly
That is why I clarified why the new brake pads because larger 35in tires
As far as machining the rotor I own a Ammco brake lathe so machining rotor is just part of the prose

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I learned something new today. Thanks

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Awesome thread, great vid- it now makes total sense to me. Keep us posted if the spongy pedal returns.

I wonder if this could be done with a tuner or something like JScan? Or do you need an actual Automotive Scanner? I want to fix it but also don't want to spend $400 on a Scanner (Right now), even though I'm sure it would come in handy.

I noticed my spongy pedal after i took it in for the clutch recall, Summer 2020. Hasn't been the same since.
Sponsored