Sponsored

The uconnect system in 2020 Jeep is really really bad and disappointing

Do you feel the radio in new 2018+ Jeeps is worse than the old ones?

• Total voters

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I would like to know how that turns out! I have my doubts that they will be able to do anything.
My JL was built in 2017 and I also don't get any updates showing when I enter my VIN. I'm pretty sure my dealer never updated anything despite me asking them to (along with the instrument panel software).

I'll see if I can check my software version though in case they were being sneaky.
Hi,

I would be happy to look into your software level for you. Please send me a PM with your VIN.

Alison
JeepCares
Sponsored

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Does the 2020 8.4 uConnect connect to the iPhone for carplay wireless now?!

petar7408

First Name
Petar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I couldn't make my appt (it was actually for the back up camera not working 15% of the time) I told them over the phone and the clueless people didnt know about it but it sounds bad to them so they would like to see it in person.. Will let you know when I go in the future!

JT_SportS

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MT Wrangler Sport S
I couldn't make my appt (it was actually for the back up camera not working 15% of the time) I told them over the phone and the clueless people didnt know about it but it sounds bad to them so they would like to see it in person.. Will let you know when I go in the future!
A semi-solution to this problem is to make sure and turn the radio off, before shutting down the vehicle. The next time you get in, turn the radio on and it automatically goes back to the last state. Not perfect, but useful way to keep from being blasted by the radio.

Sponsored

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler sport s
Itā€™s a little annoying, my 5ā€™ doesnā€™t auto connect my phone, but I donā€™t see how that makes the entire system ā€œreally badā€ as you say. UConnect receives universal praise from reviewers, even the usual Jeep haters. Why? Because itā€™s pretty darn good. So good that the smallest of inconveniences like this causes people to complain.
I bought my gladiator yesterday. Activated connect today and started the truck with my phone to test. Worked fine. Earlier tonight, my phone lost connection and I had to Ted the Bluetooth connection. I was testing when I got home to see if it would relook if I didnā€™t open it. It failed, says request received. 50k truck and this bullshit should be flawless. Iā€™m calling the dealers tomorrow. I will not let this go. They can make this shit work buy back my audio upgrades. For that money I can put in a really nice stereo.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I bought my gladiator yesterday. Activated connect today and started the truck with my phone to test. Worked fine. Earlier tonight, my phone lost connection and I had to Ted the Bluetooth connection. I was testing when I got home to see if it would relook if I didnā€™t open it. It failed, says request received. 50k truck and this bullshit should be flawless. Iā€™m calling the dealers tomorrow. I will not let this go. They can make this shit work buy back my audio upgrades. For that money I can put in a really nice stereo.
Let us know how that turns out. Sounds like the exact same problems I've had with my 2018. Sadly 2 model years later the exact same issues remain. I've literally has ZERO problems with Android Auto on multiple non-Wrangler Jeep products that I've rented while on business trips, yet can't het it to work on my own rig...

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler sport s
It worked last night and today but it's very slow. I think it works just enough for them not to fix the design. I will not renew the subscription for sure. It's not worth 18 a month. I have an appointment next week for them to check the system. I'll let you know.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
For the first 5500 miles, mine works perfectly or at least how I think it should work anyway. For music sources, it does remember if the phone was last plugged in and prompts to reconnect phone. If Bluetooth audio was last used, it defaults back to the radio/Sirius. I thought there was a setting for BT Autoplay but I haven't messed with that yet.

As for actual phone use, it always connects automatically via BT so no trouble there.

Original phone was iPhone XS. Now with iPhone 11 Pro.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
2019 JLUR with 5" (or whatever the base Rubicon touch screen is).- No issues, connects to Blue tooth, but 9/10 times I'm plugging into Apple Carplay and stashing my phone in the console anyway. iPhone 6S on iOS13. And yes, it automatically defaults to the last audio source used. if I unplug the phone it just goes back to the "select Media" screen or whatever.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had a 730n in my 2015 wrangler, and it was worse in every way than my 2020's 8.4" radio. Except myabe voice recognition.

Marks262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee Latitude
Mine cuts the volume on the radio to about half more often than not. it doesn't auto connect every time. I also get a blue screen pretty often too. Pretty frustrating, but I'm going to take it into the dealership and hope they can fix it.

My 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee radio has always worked flawlessly.
I'm having the exact same issue. I use an iPhone X connected by wire to Apple Carplay. Once I turn the volume past about 1/2 way, it cuts the volume and doesn't sound right. Has anyone found a fix to this issue?

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
I'm having the exact same issue. I use an iPhone X connected by wire to Apple Carplay. Once I turn the volume past about 1/2 way, it cuts the volume and doesn't sound right. Has anyone found a fix to this issue?
they ended up having to replace mine. good luck!

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Can't comment on 2020 but so far enjoying the system on my 2021 JLUR.

I've noticed that it does connect to the last source I've used and so far liking it much better than the system I had in my 2017 Acadia that never connected automatically to bluetooth.

I don't bother with Carplay or Android Auto. Just don't find those things useful at all. I'm not messing with cords and plugging my phone in all the time. Maybe in the future if it becomes wireless I'll use it. Bluetooth is just fine with me.

I've only had the car around a week though so probably too early to comment.

Marks262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee Latitude
they ended up having to replace mine. good luck!
I tried what one of the previous posters suggested and had my phone "Forget" my car. I had to go in through the bluetooth settings on my phone for thta part. I also deleted my phone from the uConnect system in the car. Then, I reconnected it like it was a new phone. It's now working like I think it should. Much, much better than it was previously. I also went into my iPhone settings (through Music) and enabled the equalizer which made a differece too. All I can think is that somewhere there was an update on the iPhone that solved the issue and once I deleted and reconnected my phone, it works great. Hope this helps others on this thread. I'm actually quite happy with the system now. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Sponsored