Sponsored

The uconnect system in 2020 Jeep is really really bad and disappointing

Do you feel the radio in new 2018+ Jeeps is worse than the old ones?

• Total voters
OP
OP
ember_season

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hi! Can you both please PM me your VINs and the current level of Uconnect software you're running? I would like to look into this for you.

Alison
JeepCares
How do I find my current software info?
Sponsored

virginia_is_for_rubis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I bought a JLUR with the 8.4" Uconnect in mid-September and mine defaults to whatever the last source was (Bluetooth, XM, radio)

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
2019 Uconnect 8.4
Samsung Galaxy S10+
I use Android Auto

Everything is good except for Off Road Pages vanishing this past weekend (They are working on that) and the Uconnect doesn't understand my voice commands, so I use Google Assistant (long hold of the button)

Sponsored

JT_SportS

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MT Wrangler Sport S
I have the 5" and I do not mind having to press the Media button twice to get it to connect to my phone (it does not connect automatically). The thing that makes the 5" a piece of s#$t for me is you cannot set a default volume level upon startup. The volume level used for Bluetooth listening is not consistent with the radio volume. I get blasted every time I re-enter the vehicle. The only way to avoid this is to set the radio to some AM channel that does not have any programming, and is just static. If it is set to XM or an actual station the volume is very loud and annoying before I can get my phone connected. This could be fixed with a simple software update.

OP
OP
ember_season

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have the 5" and I do not mind having to press the Media button twice to get it to connect to my phone (it does not connect automatically). The thing that makes the 5" a piece of s#$t for me is you cannot set a default volume level upon startup. The volume level used for Bluetooth listening is not consistent with the radio volume. I get blasted every time I re-enter the vehicle. The only way to avoid this is to set the radio to some AM channel that does not have any programming, and is just static. If it is set to XM or an actual station the volume is very loud and annoying before I can get my phone connected. This could be fixed with a simple software update.
Pressing the media button twice is another thing thy doesn’t work for me to switch to Bluetooth. So now I just hit the switch button in the steering wheel between the volume buttons and that works most of the time once the Bluetooth connects

KGriner

First Name
K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Had a 2015 grand Cherokee before this one with the 8.4 inch uconnect and it worked awesome. By that I mean it connected immediately to the last audio source every time (I use Bluetooth, and it always defaults back to radio) and now this new one in a 2020 Rubicon takes at least 3 button presses EVERY TIME I get in the vehicle to have my bluetooth play. Sometimes it doesn't even connect until minutes later when it finally sees my phone. This new radio is a piece of crap, and worse than the Chevy radio in my work vehicle I thought was bad. Thanks for disappointing me by going in reverse on the convenience details @JeepCares .

Anyone have any suggestions on this? Thanks for reading
Have you tried deleting your phone in repairing it? Also, try someone else’s phone that way you can rule out if it’s your phone that’s the problem or if it’s you have you tried deleting your phone in repairing it? Also, try someone else’s phone that way you can rule out if it’s your phone that’s the problem or if it’s Uconnect.

KGriner

First Name
K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I'm not familiar with Carplay, but with Android, it uses Bluetooth and the cord for AA. Does Apple Car Play just use the cord?

There is a way to reboot everything by disconnecting a certain fuse or both batteries. I'd look that up and give it a shot. I'm also assuming you've turned your phone completely off, let it sit awhile, then restart. I've had that help with some issues, too.

I don't mean to sound like I think you don't know what you are doing. You've probably tried all this stuff and you certainly are more familiar with Iphones than me. I just go back to the basics when I can't figure something out and then one at a time, I go back through them.
you shouldn’t have to remove any fuses I don’t think? Anyway, this is posted Elsewhere here:
is this what you meant? This is posted elsewhere in the forum as well:

Steps:
1. While the vehicle is on and running on the steering wheel, hold down the voice command and green phone buttons for 30 seconds
2. Let go of the buttons and turn the vehicle off
3. Once the uConnect display is completely off (black screen) open the driver door
4. Close the driver door and turn vehicle on and running

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
you shouldn’t have to remove any fuses I don’t think? Anyway, this is posted Elsewhere here:
is this what you meant? This is posted elsewhere in the forum as well:

Steps:
1. While the vehicle is on and running on the steering wheel, hold down the voice command and green phone buttons for 30 seconds
2. Let go of the buttons and turn the vehicle off
3. Once the uConnect display is completely off (black screen) open the driver door
4. Close the driver door and turn vehicle on and running
This does not work for me. I thought I read on here that this method stopped working a few updates ago. @JeepCares told me to hold down the center buttons of the two stereo knobs, but that didn't work either.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This does not work for me. I thought I read on here that this method stopped working a few updates ago. @JeepCares told me to hold down the center buttons of the two stereo knobs, but that didn't work either.
Honestly the best way to do it is get a Tazer JL and then you can reboot from the menu using your steering wheel controls, and it is a full reboot. It works like a charm and only takes about 3 minutes. That alone was worth the price of the Tazer JL.

petar7408

First Name
Petar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
yes, 100%!!!! i have to hit the media button a couple times (not the end of the world) but when we leave the car previously using a phone for music- the next time i turn the car on, its blasting FM for like 10 seconds and I look like an idiot. Im so sick of it, I'm taking it into the dealer and showing them and telling them they better have jeep redo the software because its a pile of crap.

JT_SportS

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MT Wrangler Sport S
yes, 100%!!!! i have to hit the media button a couple times (not the end of the world) but when we leave the car previously using a phone for music- the next time i turn the car on, its blasting FM for like 10 seconds and I look like an idiot. Im so sick of it, I'm taking it into the dealer and showing them and telling them they better have jeep redo the software because its a pile of crap.
I would like to know how that turns out! I have my doubts that they will be able to do anything.

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
It's not showing anything for my 2020 7 inch either
My JL was built in 2017 and I also don't get any updates showing when I enter my VIN. I'm pretty sure my dealer never updated anything despite me asking them to (along with the instrument panel software).

I'll see if I can check my software version though in case they were being sneaky.
Sponsored