Sponsored

The uconnect system in 2020 Jeep is really really bad and disappointing

Do you feel the radio in new 2018+ Jeeps is worse than the old ones?

• Total voters

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thoughts with my 8.4 radio:
  • They should copy how GM does favorites on their new radios. As many stations as you like! and you can mix them up. No need to hit the mode button.
  • I like the little map on the radio screen, but wish you could customize the zoom level on it.
  • I REALLY wish I could set the default screen at power on to the full screen map. Why can't I do this? If I leave it on the map and restart the jeep, it'll go to the menu where I have to tap "show map".
  • I thought you could download apps like Pandora and Spotify to it. No? But if you have the hotspot, it has an internet connection! Why not? :(
  • With the alpine package, the sound is a lot better than I expected.
  • I noticed that if I put my presets like this: 94.7, 94.7HD2, 93.5, 105.5HD... when I hit 93.5 it'll go back to 94.7 if I hit the "next favorite" button on my steering wheel. And keep cycling between 94.7->94.7HD2->93.5->94.7 forever and ever. LOL.
  • The siriusxm tuner sounds better, but I'd still never pay for it
  • Since you have an internet connection, internet radio would be nice!
  • I wish there was a way to disable the stupid weather alerts (or at least make them auto dismiss!)
  • I hate how if I hit the mute button while playing music on bluetooth, it waits for the phone to stop the music instead of muting the sound -and then- stopping the music.
  • I wish the gauge cluster screen would tell me more than "BLUETOOTH" when I'm playing music via bluetooth!
  • I also had the volume randomly cut to half once when I turned on the turn signal. That's weird, because I think the turn signal noises are played by a tiny speaker in the cluster.
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I like how you add a poll that takes a shot at an age group to make yourself feel better. Pretty lame, if you ask me. Iā€™m not of that age, but it makes you look childish and petty.

That noted, Iā€™ve owned 2 with the 8.4 and have had no connection issues. I put it through the paces a lot. Iā€™m a person that has to have music or call connection and it hasnā€™t failed yet. Canā€™t say the same about all the cars Iā€™ve owned.

OP
OP
ember_season

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The adjustments you need to make are on your phone and your most used app.

Most music streaming apps have an option to auto-play once it connects.

Your issue isnt really with uconnect
Not with iPhone actually. iPhone doesn't have these options, unfortunately. And for clarity, how could the settings on your phone decide what your radio d
I like how you add a poll that takes a shot at an age group to make yourself feel better. Pretty lame, if you ask me. Iā€™m not of that age, but it makes you look childish and petty.

That noted, Iā€™ve owned 2 with the 8.4 and have had no connection issues. I put it through the paces a lot. Iā€™m a person that has to have music or call connection and it hasnā€™t failed yet. Canā€™t say the same about all the cars Iā€™ve owned.
Disclaimer: you'll need a sense of humor to not be offended by jokes.
You must be a late millennial since you're offended by everything and (in this case) offended for other people. But you're right it was a childish joke.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Not with iPhone actually. iPhone doesn't have these options, unfortunately. And for clarity, how could the settings on your phone decide what your radio d

You must be a late millennial since you're offended by everything and (in this case) offended for other people. But you're right it was a childish joke.
Not your phone...the app itself lol

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Yes. Making a comment about one thing makes me ā€œoffended by everythingā€.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I REALLY wish I could set the default screen at power on to the full screen map. Why can't I do this? If I leave it on the map and restart the jeep, it'll go to the menu where I have to tap "show map".
Yeah, this irritates me, too. That and when you finish a call, it drops you to your favorite calls list on the screen instead of back to where you were. These two things are my biggest gripes about these units.

I thought you could download apps like Pandora and Spotify to it. No? But if you have the hotspot, it has an internet connection! Why not?
FCA killed this a while back so that they didn't have to independently develop and maintain such apps since they're going to be on your device if you use these services anyway. It blows, but is totally understandable.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Can't remember the thread, but there was a recent post about a uconnect software update that just went out. Jeep cares chimed in to verify it and gave instruction on how to go about getting it.

@JeepCares
Hi. Yes, the files for software level 18.45.01 are currently available on driveUconnect.com. I would recommend checking if this update is available for your vehicle. If so, you will be able to download the software to a USB and update your vehicle at home. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Alison
JeepCares

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hi. Yes, the files for software level 18.45.01 are currently available on driveUconnect.com. I would recommend checking if this update is available for your vehicle. If so, you will be able to download the software to a USB and update your vehicle at home. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Alison
JeepCares
Thanks Alison!

@ember_season
If all else fails, here's another thing to check. Good luck with it!

miklm

First Name
Miklm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Little know fact that the USB ports in vehicles are ridiculously slow charging. I haven't tested it too much in the new vehicle but instead assume it because that's how all vehicles are. I have a theory that the usb-C port probably charges faster too and I'll test that at some point. I have a turbo charger in my cig lighter.
I also don't like CarPlay because if I switch to a different app on my phone when using maps it doesn't keep it up on the vehicle screen. Drives me crazy.
That's only because you haven't upgraded to iOS 13. It made a lot of improvements to CarPlay, including the app switching.

Sponsored

khisanth13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLU, 1967 Chevy Camaro 350SS
Hi @JeepCares, the update is not available for my vehicle ('18 JLU) yet. Does anyone have any idea how long it might take for it to become available to everyone?

Thanks!

OP
OP
ember_season

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hi @JeepCares, the update is not available for my vehicle ('18 JLU) yet. Does anyone have any idea how long it might take for it to become available to everyone?

Thanks!
It's not showing anything for my 2020 7 inch either

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Thanks!
It's not showing anything for my 2020 7 inch either
Hi! Can you both please PM me your VINs and the current level of Uconnect software you're running? I would like to look into this for you.

Alison
JeepCares

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
This poll is idiotic. "I don't use bluetooth because I'm a boomer"?

Umm.. The majority of your problems are that you are using bluetooth which is a really crappy protocol and sucks in 90%+ of the vehicles I use it in. If your not using Carplay or Andriod you are behind the times and pretty much using a pay phone while everyone else is on cellphones.

I have not used bluetooth since 2016 or so..

I have no problem with the 7" Uconnect in our Jeep. I actually like the interface and it's pretty quick. Much better than the Honda head unit in our more expensive Odyssey Elite.
Sponsored