Sponsored

The uconnect system in 2020 Jeep is really really bad and disappointing

Do you feel the radio in new 2018+ Jeeps is worse than the old ones?

• Total voters

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
Mine cuts the volume on the radio to about half more often than not. it doesn't auto connect every time. I also get a blue screen pretty often too. Pretty frustrating, but I'm going to take it into the dealership and hope they can fix it.

My 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee radio has always worked flawlessly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ember_season

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
With CarPlay or Android Auto, why even use Bluetooth? Better quality audio, better interface, more features, your phone charges, and I don’t have the problem you describe. It auto connects as soon as I get in and plug in.

I’ll have to check the behavior outside of CarPlay next time I’m in my Jeep. I always just plug in and forget about it, or switch to XM here and there which I believe it does remember and go back to.
Little know fact that the USB ports in vehicles are ridiculously slow charging. I haven't tested it too much in the new vehicle but instead assume it because that's how all vehicles are. I have a theory that the usb-C port probably charges faster too and I'll test that at some point. I have a turbo charger in my cig lighter.
I also don't like CarPlay because if I switch to a different app on my phone when using maps it doesn't keep it up on the vehicle screen. Drives me crazy.

OP
OP
ember_season

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The poll above is useless. I imagine was trying to be funny

Nevertheless, after one week of owning my JL the backup camera stopped working, the navigation keeps getting stuck on "loading", and the map randomly appears and disappears in a fraction of a second on top of the main landing screen.
Yeah that was just for fun lol. Not meant to be serious.

OP
OP
ember_season

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'm not familiar with Carplay, but with Android, it uses Bluetooth and the cord for AA. Does Apple Car Play just use the cord?

There is a way to reboot everything by disconnecting a certain fuse or both batteries. I'd look that up and give it a shot. I'm also assuming you've turned your phone completely off, let it sit awhile, then restart. I've had that help with some issues, too.

I don't mean to sound like I think you don't know what you are doing. You've probably tried all this stuff and you certainly are more familiar with Iphones than me. I just go back to the basics when I can't figure something out and then one at a time, I go back through them.
Appreciate the advice. I'm going to try the fuse; I believe I read it's 97. CarPlay does require the cord on all but the most expensive stereo systems as of now unfortunately

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Little know fact that the USB ports in vehicles are ridiculously slow charging. I haven't tested it too much in the new vehicle but instead assume it because that's how all vehicles are. I have a theory that the usb-C port probably charges faster too and I'll test that at some point. I have a turbo charger in my cig lighter.
I also don't like CarPlay because if I switch to a different app on my phone when using maps it doesn't keep it up on the vehicle screen. Drives me crazy.
CarPlay doesn’t do that anymore on iOS 13.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the advice. I'm going to try the fuse; I believe I read it's 97. CarPlay does require the cord on all but the most expensive stereo systems as of now unfortunately
Let us know how it goes. Android Assistant through Android Auto was not making calls or sending texts at my command when Android 10 came out. I thought it was the Uconnect and Android 10 not playing well. I poured through all the settings and stumbled across something I don't remember, but it cured the problem and now it has functioned flawlessly for a couple weeks. Hopefully, it stays this way for a long time. Still, that Tazer and its quick reboot is sometimes a Godsend.

Docjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler, Lexus, Tiffin, Chaparral
I have a 2020 JL and 7" Uconnect system. Mine is great. No problems at all. In fact, the standard stereo sound better than the upgraded stereo I had in my 2019 Mustang GT Premium. I was surprised at that. So far so good on music, blue tooth, and NAV with the Unconnect system.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Had a 2015 grand Cherokee before this one with the 8.4 inch uconnect and it worked awesome. By that I mean it connected immediately to the last audio source every time (I use Bluetooth, and it always defaults back to radio) and now this new one in a 2020 Rubicon takes at least 3 button presses EVERY TIME I get in the vehicle to have my bluetooth play. Sometimes it doesn't even connect until minutes later when it finally sees my phone. This new radio is a piece of crap, and worse than the Chevy radio in my work vehicle I thought was bad. Thanks for disappointing me by going in reverse on the convenience details @JeepCares .

Anyone have any suggestions on this? Thanks for reading
The adjustments you need to make are on your phone and your most used app.

Most music streaming apps have an option to auto-play once it connects.

Your issue isnt really with uconnect

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’ve had to reset a few times. It’s absolutely insane that there’s not a button combination or something to hard reboot. Pop the hood, pop the fuse box and go down the list under the lid pulling and replacing everything that has to do with entertainment, USB, etc. The Uconnect should reset to default theme and redownload apps (off road pages). This has fixed a bunch of random little issues for me over the past couple months.
Tazer for the win.

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
My Jeep with the 7 inch screen defaults to SiriusXM on startup if I was last listening to Bluetooth.

The strange thing is...

After you shut down the engine - If you were to shut the radio off manually (with the power button) prior to opening the drivers door or allowing the accessory power to time out, it will remember that you last used Bluetooth. It does appear that you need to give it a minute to find your phone after you start the engine (before you turn the radio back on) for it to work though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ember_season

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
My Jeep with the 7 inch screen defaults to SiriusXM on startup if I was last listening to Bluetooth.

The strange thing is...

After you shut down the engine - If you were to shut the radio off manually (with the power button) prior to opening the drivers door or allowing the accessory power to time out, it will remember that you last used Bluetooth. It does appear that you need to give it a minute to find your phone after you start the engine (before you turn the radio back on) for it to work though.
Well that's interesting for sure. And good to know. Thanks a lot!

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
8.4 is awesome and connects with iPhone 11 every time.

hschro47

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just got my '20 jlur with the 8.4 and alpine a few days ago and I've haven't had an issue with it immediately connecting to my bluetooth. Even if my bluetooth is off it only takes a couple of seconds to connect once I turn it on

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
My Bluetooth never automatically connects either. I have a 2020 JL as well. I have to hit Media then Source then Bluetooth to connect my phone.
Sponsored