Sponsored

The uconnect system in 2020 Jeep is really really bad and disappointing

Do you feel the radio in new 2018+ Jeeps is worse than the old ones?

• Total voters

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Your poll options are incorrect. Boomers use Bluetooth. Carplay/android auto is the hip thing to do.
Sponsored

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
Can't comment on 2020 but so far enjoying the system on my 2021 JLUR.

I've noticed that it does connect to the last source I've used and so far liking it much better than the system I had in my 2017 Acadia that never connected automatically to bluetooth.

I don't bother with Carplay or Android Auto. Just don't find those things useful at all. I'm not messing with cords and plugging my phone in all the time. Maybe in the future if it becomes wireless I'll use it. Bluetooth is just fine with me.

I've only had the car around a week though so probably too early to comment.
Bringing this thread back to see if anyone has found a solution.

Just traded in my 2019 Sahara w/8.4 for a 2021 Willys w/7.0 radio. I ordered it with the Alpine, but didn't care at all about the Nav with useless voice entry so I kept it simple.

Every time I start the Jeep, the radio defaults to Sirius. When I hit Media, it's set back to USB even if I left it playing Bluetooth. Then when I hit bluetooth input, it either won't connect to my phone automatically or if it does, it tells me to press play on my device. If I don't have the music app open on my phone it will sit there and do nothing.

Maybe this wouldn't bother me, but my 2019 worked perfectly 100% of the time. I would get into the Jeep, it would pickup right where I left off on Bluetooth. Never once had to touch my phone or open the Music app to make it play. Never had to select the device to connect Bluetooth.

If this is a difference between the 7" and 8.4" @JeepCares I am SUPER disappointed. I didn't bother with the bigger unit because all I care about is bluetooth from my phone. I don't even want radio. Now it's a hassle every time I get in the Jeep, even after a few minutes getting gas or running into a store.

JT_SportS

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MT Wrangler Sport S

Just traded in my 2019 Sahara w/8.4 for a 2021 Willys w/7.0 radio. I ordered it with the Alpine, but didn't care at all about the Nav with useless voice entry so I kept it simple.

Every time I start the Jeep, the radio defaults to Sirius. When I hit Media, it's set back to USB even if I left it playing Bluetooth. Then when I hit bluetooth input, it either won't connect to my phone automatically or if it does, it tells me to press play on my device. If I don't have the music app open on my phone it will sit there and do nothing.

Maybe this wouldn't bother me, but my 2019 worked perfectly 100% of the time. I would get into the Jeep, it would pickup right where I left off on Bluetooth. Never once had to touch my phone or open the Music app to make it play. Never had to select the device to connect Bluetooth.

If this is a difference between the 7" and 8.4" @JeepCares I am SUPER disappointed. I didn't bother with the bigger unit because all I care about is bluetooth from my phone. I don't even want radio. Now it's a hassle every time I get in the Jeep, even after a few minutes getting gas or running into a store.
Try shutting the radio off before powering down the jeep. Then next time after a few minutes after starting turn the radio on. Mine connects to the bluetooth if I do this, otherwise it goes to the radio at a high volume level. Mine is the 5", and a terrible design. These issues could be fixed with a firmware upgrade but Uconnect does not seem to care about the low end units.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
These issues could be fixed with a firmware upgrade but Uconnect does not seem to care about the low end units.
Don't feel bad. They don't care about the high end units either.

Sponsored

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
Try shutting the radio off before powering down the jeep. Then next time after a few minutes after starting turn the radio on. Mine connects to the bluetooth if I do this, otherwise it goes to the radio at a high volume level. Mine is the 5", and a terrible design. These issues could be fixed with a firmware upgrade but Uconnect does not seem to care about the low end units.
Yeah, it works but really it's pretty silly. I ordered a C2Play Air, thinking if I leave it plugged into the center console it will default to CarPlay which will accomplish what I'm looking for. I'll report back if the thing works.

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland

This has been my experience as well, my 2018 Rubicon with the 7.0 acts as you describe. I recently got a 2021 Compass Altitude w/ 8.4 as a daily driver and it will auto play my Bluetooth *almost* every time. :facepalm:

As mentioned above, I got into the habit of turning off my radio before getting out of my Rubicon to avoid this. Certainly beats driving around listening to the SiriusXM preview channel.

Keep us up to date on how the C2Play Air works for you.

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
Initial AirPlay adapter feedback is mixed. It does work, and it now defaults to USB. My phone connects to it automatically about 50% of the time. Otherwise I have to hit cancel on the screen then connect again. When it does auto-connect, it will go right to CarPlay. About a half second delay when you change tracks from the steering wheel, and I swear this thing is going some EQ. I had to turn bass way down (Alpine) to when using it. Also, it never turns off as the center console USB is always powered. Walking through the garage my phone connects to it...

Overall not recommended.

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
Initial AirPlay adapter feedback is mixed. It does work, and it now defaults to USB. My phone connects to it automatically about 50% of the time. Otherwise I have to hit cancel on the screen then connect again. When it does auto-connect, it will go right to CarPlay. About a half second delay when you change tracks from the steering wheel, and I swear this thing is going some EQ. I had to turn bass way down (Alpine) to when using it. Also, it never turns off as the center console USB is always powered. Walking through the garage my phone connects to it...

Overall not recommended.
Well dang that's disappointing, thanks for the update!

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
In other odd Uconnect news, my 2018 Jeep recognized my iPod on startup this morning and started playing songs where it left off for the 1st time ever. After almost 2 years of ownership.

I guess gaining this feature will cost me ORP, or the backup camera guidelines, or something.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code

Overall not recommended.
FYI: It sounds like your USB2 works better than everyone elses. USB2 (console) has proven to be problematic. After much discussion and multiple threads detailing troubleshooting it seems to be the popular thought that the voltage from USB2 varies too much for the liking of most Smartphone integration. In my case, at least, it seems to be a hardware issue. I've bypassed USB2 by setting up the cables behind the dash as outlined in this thread and I haven't had problems yet. It's been almost a year and a half, maybe 2 years?
Agree, Carplay2Air's connection can be pretty aggressive- that's why I ran my cables from behind the dash, into the glove box- this way I can disconnect the transmitter as needed to either power cycle or completely disable it when not in use. I have pics and details in my linked build thread.

Additionally- I see you're in Albany. I'm in Saratoga. Shoot me a DM if you have any questions or want to check out anything in person.
Sponsored