Sponsored

The uconnect system in 2020 Jeep is really really bad and disappointing

Do you feel the radio in new 2018+ Jeeps is worse than the old ones?

• Total voters

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Had a 2015 grand Cherokee before this one with the 8.4 inch uconnect and it worked awesome. By that I mean it connected immediately to the last audio source every time (I use Bluetooth, and it always defaults back to radio) and now this new one in a 2020 Rubicon takes at least 3 button presses EVERY TIME I get in the vehicle to have my bluetooth play. Sometimes it doesn't even connect until minutes later when it finally sees my phone. This new radio is a piece of crap, and worse than the Chevy radio in my work vehicle I thought was bad. Thanks for disappointing me by going in reverse on the convenience details @JeepCares .

Anyone have any suggestions on this? Thanks for reading
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My 19 JLUR always stays set to bluetooth and recognizes the spotify on my phone as soon as I get in. If the vehicle is already running, it connects when I'm within a few feet of grabbing the door handle. Knock on wood, I haven't had a single hiccup with anything in the last 8 months of ownership and about 16k miles.

OP
OP
ember_season

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
My 19 JLUR always stays set to bluetooth and recognizes the spotify on my phone as soon as I get in. If the vehicle is already running, it connects when I'm within a few feet of grabbing the door handle. Knock on wood, I haven't had a single hiccup with anything in the last 8 months of ownership and about 16k miles.
Thanks for the reply. Maybe ill try a factory reset and try that

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply. Maybe ill try a factory reset and try that
Can't remember the thread, but there was a recent post about a uconnect software update that just went out. Jeep cares chimed in to verify it and gave instruction on how to go about getting it.

@JeepCares

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The poll is stacked. I use mine with Android Auto and SiriusXM and love it. It has quirks, but overall, it is great.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The poll above is useless. I imagine was trying to be funny

Nevertheless, after one week of owning my JL the backup camera stopped working, the navigation keeps getting stuck on "loading", and the map randomly appears and disappears in a fraction of a second on top of the main landing screen.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
It’s a little annoying, my 5’ doesn’t auto connect my phone, but I don’t see how that makes the entire system “really bad” as you say. UConnect receives universal praise from reviewers, even the usual Jeep haters. Why? Because it’s pretty darn good. So good that the smallest of inconveniences like this causes people to complain.

OP
OP
ember_season

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
It’s a little annoying, my 5’ does the same, but I don’t see how that makes the entire system “really bad” as you say. UConnect receives universal praise from reviewers, even the usual Jeep haters. Why? Because it’s pretty darn good. So good that the smallest of inconveniences like this causes people to complain.
The thing about it is- the way I use it, I don't care if it's the cheapest stereo available. As long as it auto connects to my Bluetooth and starts playing my music when I get in( like even my $80 7 inch screen I put in my 2001 Jetta does) I can live with everything else. Yes, a $1000 stereo system should do that. Especially if their last one did.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The thing about it is- the way I use it, I don't care if it's the cheapest stereo available. As long as it auto connects to my Bluetooth and starts playing my music when I get in( like even my $80 7 inch screen I put in my 2001 Jetta does) I can live with everything else. Yes, a $1000 stereo system should do that. Especially if their last one did.
Something must be wrong. Mine always plays my music where I left off in Google Play through Android Auto. I tried it today with SiriusXM and FM and it worked both ways.

Do you have a Tazer? If so, I'd do a full reboot. When mine hiccups, that ususally cures it.

I have found more recently that some of the quirks were more to do with Android than anything else. It seems the last couple of weeks to smooth out quite a bit. (I'm knocking on wood right now, big time.)

Just the ease of rebooting the Uconnect is reason enough to own a Tazer, IMO.

OP
OP
ember_season

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Something must be wrong. Mine always plays my music where I left off in Google Play through Android Auto. I tried it today with SiriusXM and FM and it worked both ways.

Do you have a Tazer? If so, I'd do a full reboot. When mine hiccups, that ususally cures it.

I have found more recently that some of the quirks were more to do with Android than anything else. It seems the last couple of weeks to smooth out quite a bit. (I'm knocking on wood right now, big time.)

Just the ease of rebooting the Uconnect is reason enough to own a Tazer, IMO.
If I use Apple carplay it autoconnects; thats not an issue. So that would be the same as your android auto. For some reason it just doesn't like Bluetooth.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
With CarPlay or Android Auto, why even use Bluetooth? Better quality audio, better interface, more features, your phone charges, and I don’t have the problem you describe. It auto connects as soon as I get in and plug in.

I’ll have to check the behavior outside of CarPlay next time I’m in my Jeep. I always just plug in and forget about it, or switch to XM here and there which I believe it does remember and go back to.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If I use Apple carplay it autoconnects; thats not an issue. So that would be the same as your android auto. For some reason it just doesn't like Bluetooth.
I'm not familiar with Carplay, but with Android, it uses Bluetooth and the cord for AA. Does Apple Car Play just use the cord?

There is a way to reboot everything by disconnecting a certain fuse or both batteries. I'd look that up and give it a shot. I'm also assuming you've turned your phone completely off, let it sit awhile, then restart. I've had that help with some issues, too.

I don't mean to sound like I think you don't know what you are doing. You've probably tried all this stuff and you certainly are more familiar with Iphones than me. I just go back to the basics when I can't figure something out and then one at a time, I go back through them.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I'm not familiar with Carplay, but with Android, it uses Bluetooth and the cord for AA. Does Apple Car Play just use the cord?

There is a way to reboot everything by disconnecting a certain fuse or both batteries. I'd look that up and give it a shot. I'm also assuming you've turned your phone completely off, let it sit awhile, then restart. I've had that help with some issues, too.

I don't mean to sound like I think you don't know what you are doing. You've probably tried all this stuff and you certainly are more familiar with Iphones than me. I just go back to the basics when I can't figure something out and then one at a time, I go back through them.

I’ve had to reset a few times. It’s absolutely insane that there’s not a button combination or something to hard reboot. Pop the hood, pop the fuse box and go down the list under the lid pulling and replacing everything that has to do with entertainment, USB, etc. The Uconnect should reset to default theme and redownload apps (off road pages). This has fixed a bunch of random little issues for me over the past couple months.
Sponsored