TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I've been meaning to get on that rear seat delete...

I'm happy she's got a father like you. It's unfortunately a fairly common story these days. That little hug at the end tells me all I need to know. You're clearly cut out for it.
I appreciate that very much :fist bump:
Sponsored

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Yep. That little hug and their personalities that make it! Mine are 19 and 17 and I’d say I’ll catch myself missing those younger years probably 3 or 4 times a week. Glad I have some pics and memories

OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. That little hug and their personalities that make it! Mine are 19 and 17 and I’d say I’ll catch myself missing those younger years probably 3 or 4 times a week. Glad I have some pics and memories
Maybe they'll bless you with grandkids in the next 6-10 years! I hate the idea of her growing up (and me getting old, ugh) but there's always silver linings if you look hard enough.

OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I finally have a day with nothing planned coming up this weekend so I can tie up the rest of the loose ends I haven't had the gumption to handle yet and install some new stuff:

- The front and rear diff skids and front and rear LCA skids still need to go on. I could've really used them last weekend, too... oops. I've read that the LCA bolts are a bitch, so I'm going to start hitting them with PB blaster this afternoon and every morning for the rest of the week so that hopefully by Sunday they'll come out without too much of a fight, 'cuz ain't nobody got time fo dat.

- I'm going to put little rubber baby buggy bumpers on the bottom of each RAM extension arm so they'll stop banging into the dash going over bumps and washboard. I'm also going to drill my ball mount into the dash to reinforce it on the sides where it seems to have the most flex. This should firm up the whole shebang to reduce vibrations in my gizmos. I hope.

- I still need to finish wiring the marker lights and turn signals, lol

- Install the intake I just impulse bought

- Revisit the ghetto license plate debacle

- Install more Quick Fists on the interior

- Swap the OEM hardtop bolts and D-rings for the GPCA thumbscrew tiedown anchor type.

- I want to toy around with the sway bar links to see if I can devise a method to easily disconnect at a trailhead and/or make my own disconnects somehow

- I read about fuses not being seated correctly on the forum so I'm going to make sure mine are all snug haha

- Re-torqueing literally everything I can get to

- General cleaning and inspection including washing the radiator and checking the fins

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a whole lotta fun, Josh!
Hopefully fun!! If I'm out there in the garage screaming profanities at the LCA bolts for 6 hours straight or something I'm going to blame it on you for jinxing me :CWL:

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Hopefully fun!! If I'm out there in the garage screaming profanities at the LCA bolts for 6 hours straight or something I'm going to blame it on you for jinxing me :CWL:
If you don't have one of the big boy 18-20 volt impacts put it on your Christmas list. I just changed out all of my control arms for my lift last month and didn't even realize it was supposed to be giving me any trouble. A 24" breaker bar will get you there just as well, pick one up at harbor freight before you start the project if you dont already have one.

And remember, cussing at inanimate objects is part of the process.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer

An emergency like you need to get somewhere and there are protestors standing in the middle of the freeway and you don't want them throwing rocks at your car and pulling you and your family out? I like it!!!

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
[/QUOTE]

My life......my wife kids don't understand it!😳

-Steven

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't have one of the big boy 18-20 volt impacts put it on your Christmas list. I just changed out all of my control arms for my lift last month and didn't even realize it was supposed to be giving me any trouble. A 24" breaker bar will get you there just as well, pick one up at harbor freight before you start the project if you dont already have one.

I have 18" and 30" breakers, Milwaukee 18v and Hilti 22v impacts, and a big mouth. I think I got this :captain:
An emergency like you need to get somewhere and there are protestors standing in the middle of the freeway and you don't want them throwing rocks at your car and pulling you and your family out? I like it!!!
Alllll kinds of emergencies :bandit:

My life......my wife kids don't understand it!😳
Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS trust-me-i-got-you

OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I just got an email and the Harbor Freight winches are on sale again. I've never owned one before and I'm torn which to get. I have it narrowed down to three, all with synthetic lines, wireless remotes, series wound motors, cone brakes, aluminum housings, IP66+ or higher waterproof ratings, fairleads and hooks, blah blah.

The Quadratec Q-Performance Stealth 12k is ~$700, offers the most appealing "bonus" features such as the LED spool light and removable clutch handle, but information is limited and it's the most expensive of the bunch with the lowest horsepower rating and highest weight.

The HF BADLAND APEX 12k is ~$510 on sale or ~$480 with their stupid credit card... it's by far the best known of the bunch and priced really well.

The X-BULL 13.5k is ~$420 on Amazon and has the highest horsepower and load ratings and is cheapest and lightest, but it also has the lowest waterproof rating (though still acceptable) and there's next to no information out there for this specific (13,500lb) model.

I'm super tempted to go pick up the Harbor Freight jobbie, but the other two are appealing enough for different reasons to give me pause. :computerrage:

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Which bracket are you using for the cube lights on the front cowls?

OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Which bracket are you using for the cube lights on the front cowls?
They're EAG's which I bought specifically for compatibility with the Rugged Ridge snorkel that I ended up not getting anyways. The brackets and lights both came with bright stainless hardware that looked janky so I stripped and painted it all matte black with "rustoleum high performance wheel paint" and its holding up well despite several adjustments since the initial install.

FWIW, if I were to do it again without snorkel clearance in mind, I'd get a set that put the lights in a lower and more outboard position, like these or these.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
They're EAG's which I bought specifically for compatibility with the Rugged Ridge snorkel that I ended up not getting anyways. The brackets and lights both came with bright stainless hardware that looked janky so I stripped and painted it all matte black with "rustoleum high performance wheel paint" and its holding up well despite several adjustments since the initial install.

FWIW, if I were to do it again without snorkel clearance in mind, I'd get a set that put the lights in a lower and more outboard position, like these or these.
Thanks! I'm actually more looking for something to mount a GMRS antenna to in that location and I've been looking at a lot of these cowl light mounts.
Sponsored