TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The Trail Snail is my 2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Sport S. It's equipped with the non-eTorque 2.0L Turbo, Tech Package, Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Groups which give it the D44 LSD rear end, aux switches and other goodies.

Brand New - Taken a few hours after purchase:

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 0801211103a_HDR-01

Phase 1 - Some armor, ditch lights & storage improvements:

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 1630437706737

Phase 2 - Chopped & gutted fenders, some Rubicon parts, even more armor & lights:

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 1632776203620

Phase 3 - Even more armor, 35s, plus camping & recovery items:

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 1635795076246

Mod List
Mechanical:

- DynoMax Muffler Delete
- Holley Intech CAI
- Progressive Bump Stops
- Rubicon Shocks
- DIY Quick Disconnects

Lighting:
- FireHawk LED Headlights
- Diode Dynamics SS3 Amber SAE Fogs
- 2x Front-Facing + 2x Rear-Facing AuxBeam LED Pods
- Oracle Cargo Hatch Light Bar
- LED Plate Light
- LED Front Turn Signals & Clearance Lights

Wheels & Tires:
- Kenda Klever R/T KR601 35x10.50R17
- RockTrix RT116 17x9" -12/4.5"
- RockTrix Tire Repair Kit
- Valve-Loc Caps
- Gorilla Spline DT Black Lug Nuts
- HF150 Compressor

Body, Armor & Recovery:
- Rugged Ridge Arcus Front Bumper
- Rugged Ridge RRC Rock Sliders
- Rugged Ridge Rear Frame-Mounted Light Brackets
- EAG Ditch Light Brackets
- EAG Tailgate Table
- Cav Fab Micro Rear Bumper
- Trailer Plug Relocation
- Gutted & Chopped Sport Flares
- Paramount Front & Rear Inner Fender Liners
- Rancho Front & Rear Diff Glide Plates
- 3/4" Shackles w/ Isolators
- Rock Hard Front & Rear LCA Skids
- Energy Suspension Tailgate Tire Bumpers
- License Plate Relocation
- Recovery Gear, Mounted Shovel & Extinguisher, Traction Boards, Mopar Jack Base Extension
- 5 Gallon Midwest Jerry Can w/ Upgraded Spout
- Mounted Medical & Hygene Kits

Miscellaneous:
- 23qt Refrigerator, 150W USB Adapter & 3-Way 12v Splitter
- Sport Bar Hammocks
- RAM Dash Mounts: Phone, Camera, & HAM/GMRS
- GPCA Tie Down Anchors
- Lock & Latch Covers, Decals, Cupholder Inserts & "Easter Eggs"
- Antenna Blackout
- Scuff Plates
- Interior Storage Pockets, QuickFist Clamps, MOLLE Pouches, etc.
- Koverz Padded Neoprene Console Cover
- Matching Ceramic Tint
- Mopar Slush Mats

Planned Mods
- Diver Down Neoprene Seat Covers
- ASFIR Aluminum Engine, Trans & Transfer Case Skids
- Quadratec Stealth 10k Synthetic Winch
- Quadratec Super Tweeters x4
- Fox JK ATS Steering Stabilizer w/ 1-5/8" Bracket & Synergy Bolt
- Sleeping Platform
- Tailgate Reinforcement
- Rhino Rack Roof Bars
- Waterport GoSpout
- Coverking Headliner
- 2.5" JKS J-Konnect w/ Fox 2.0s & HD Coils
- BFG T/A KO2 LT315/70R17/C
- 4.56 Re-Gear
- Superchips Tune
- ESS & 2nd Battery Delete
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
First mod besides little personalization bits was a Dynomax muffler delete. The giant muffler was problematic with the low Sport suspension and 31" tires from Day 1. It is a bit obnoxious on a cold start, but the engine warms up quickly and it sounds quite pleasant any other time. There is no drone, and it isn't as loud as I expected overall. I'm very happy with the low-cost, light-weight, high-clearance solution.

Next, I installed a tailgate table, cargo hatch light and some additional organizational items just in time to put them to use camping at the end of week 2 of ownership:

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 0814211754_HDR-01

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 0814211754-01

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 0807211705b_HDR-01

Got a set of rock sliders and ditch lights on in time to enjoy during the 3rd weekend:

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 0814211756-01

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 0815211900_HDR-01

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 0813212129a_HDR-01

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 0814211437a-01

Follow-Up Links:

Link to bumper install here

Link to headlight install here

Link to rear bumper install & trailer plug mod here

Link to fender mods here

Link to miscellaneous upgrades here

Link to DIY garage top lift here

Link to post-chop front fender lights here

Link to intake & diff skid install here, plus check your fuses!

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 1636737417222

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 1636737367123

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS 1636737349674

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I like where you are going with this. Do you have a link for the dash mounted components?
Sure thing. The dash mount itself was a steal, coming with two Ram[like] balls pre-installed and very usable phone gripper and 3"(?) dual socket arm. I'm quite happy with it - if it holds up to UV coming through the windshield over time, it's a winner for sure:

https://www.amazon.com/Voswitch-Phone-Wrangler-Present-Gladiator/dp/B07X8B1MTY/ref=sr_1_6?crid=QWNVXYK0I2NK&dchild=1&keywords=ram+ball+mount+for+jeep+jl&qid=1629218743&sprefix=jl+ram+ball+,aps,222&sr=8-6

With my particular phone, the included arm and phone gripper experiences a lot of vibration and wiggled too much off road, plus the upper left arm messes with the volume buttons on the side of my phone occasionally. I solved those problems with

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Compos...f0b210&pd_rd_wg=XNkm9&pd_rd_i=B005KWPJ04&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Quick-Gr...ac07b&pd_rd_wg=pslC6&pd_rd_i=B07V6ZS2HG&psc=1

The shorter genuine Ram socket arm and mount fixed the movement and other issues, and are very off-road proof, but I don't like that I can't use the phone's camera through it. One of the things I really did like about the x-grip style mounts was my ability to take pictures and record out the front without uncradling the phone. So, I have one of these on order right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Roadvise-Ind...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I also don't really care for running the Uconnect USB from the center console, nor do I like how the hinged cover on the in-dash media panel isn't easily removable, so I have some of these on the way to see how they work in conjunction with the media cover and dash mount. I'm hoping that the 90-degree end allows the cover to look less awkward while being more user-friendly than the cable coming out the side of the armrest and back up near the footwell where it always falls when I unplug. If I'm not satisfied with this fix, I'll probably run a cable up through the dash to exit near the mount.

https://www.amazon.com/Besgoods-Charging-Display-MacBook-Docking/dp/B09494TMG7/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=90+degree+usb+c&qid=1629219600&refinements=p_n_size_browse-vebin:2569827011&rnid=2569813011&s=pc&sr=1-25

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Nice ! I love my 2 door, but your pix of the well - organized sleepable rear is making me rethink this. Dogs agree, more room,please !

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trail Snail: Stock Height Sport on 35s - Mod & Trip Log + BS PXL_20210627_201830943.MP_resized
Thanks!

I would honestly love to have a 2-door for a weekend warrior, but with a kid and two dogs the extra space was a necessity. Plus, as you mentioned, we camp a lot and being able to sleep inside the vehicle is a big deal. I went from tent camping to truck camping, then did the whole rooftop tent thing for several years, and I will never go back. I'd rather sleep on a rock than get another RTT.

Eventually I'd like to get a small trailer, something like a Tentrax Ascend. For now though, the JLU is working beautifully for our weekend truck camping needs. I have a rooftop cargo bag if we need overflow for longer trips, too. Coming from a full-size truck, I really don't miss all the extra room that much believe it or not.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If the pups approve, and you're having fun, you've done well!!!! :)

Nice rig!
Pups are loving it, I'm loving it... daughter is still mad at me for trading our truck in though. She was quite emotionally attached to it.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Congrats on the new Jeep! Hope to see you out on the trails around here.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
How do you like the Muffler Delete Dynomax ? Tempted to add storage by deepening the Cubby where the muffler used to be ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the new Jeep! Hope to see you out on the trails around here.
Thank you, I'm sure we will bump into each other at some point since I'm always rolling through your neck of the woods.
How do you like the Muffler Delete Dynomax ? Tempted to add storage by deepening the Cubby where the muffler used to be ?
I like it a lot. It's a little on the loud side on cold starts and acceleration but it's nothing intolerable and there's no drone. It's nice and quiet at idle and cruise.

I never thought about expanding the storage cubby space, but that's a great idea!

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Thank you, I'm sure we will bump into each other at some point since I'm always rolling through your neck of the woods.
"neck of the woods" ? hmmm....don't see no trees near here... ;)

Look for me up near Raymert or Ajax Mine trails, I might be on the Box Canyon trail North of Florence off Hwy 79 or somewhere near Montana Mtn. :jk:

OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
"neck of the woods" ? hmmm....don't see no trees near here... ;)

Look for me up near Raymert or Ajax Mine trails, I might be on the Box Canyon trail North of Florence off Hwy 79 or somewhere near Montana Mtn. :jk:
I've always wanted to run Ajax. Once I get some real tires and armor on the JL, I might hit you up to run it with me. :like:

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Sounds like a plan. I haven't had much opportunity to hit the trails in this Jeep.

Since I am new to the area I'm having to find new places to go!

OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a plan. I haven't had much opportunity to hit the trails in this Jeep.

Since I am new to the area I'm having to find new places to go!
No shortage on this side of town. Lots of exploring to do around Florence, Gold Canyon, Top of The World, and Roosevelt. I'm sure you've already checked out Upper and Lower Sycamore, Four Peaks, and Bulldog Canyon since they're right in your back yard. Just a bit further, there's a lot to find out by Rio Verde / Carefree.
Sponsored