The tire weight matter in Dana 44? 40” or 37”

Ramezjurdi

First Name
Ramez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator rubicon
Hi I’m new in this forum, I just bought a gladiator rubicon, I want to run 40” and I already read a lot about it. I know that I have to change the axles and everything, but now the question is the tire weight matters? Because if I want to avoid spend $14000 changing the axles I can just buy 37” tires, but the toyo 37” weight 94 lbs and the cooper stt pro 40” weight 90 lbs, so what makes the axles breaks? Is the tire height or the tire weight?

Just to be more clear I drive my truck mostly highway and streets, just I few times doing off road but nothing crazy
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi I’m new in this forum, I just bought a gladiator rubicon, I want to run 40” and I already read a lot about it. I know that I have to change the axles and everything, but now the question is the tire weight matters? Because if I want to avoid spend $14000 changing the axles I can just buy 37” tires, but the toyo 37” weight 94 lbs and the cooper stt pro 40” weight 90 lbs, so what makes the axles breaks? Is the tire height or the tire weight?

Just to be more clear I drive my truck mostly highway and streets, just I few times doing off road but nothing crazy
May want to try the Gladiator forum. May get better feedback and suggestions 👍🏻

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

The forces are pretty dynamic, weight is certainly impactful, but even at the same weight, the bigger tire will cause greater torque due to just the weight of the tire since the weight is further from the axle hub. Just rolling down the highway isn’t necessarily the concern, things like axle hop and off road impact forces are.

Just to make it basic, let’s say you have an action that requires or delivers a 500lb rotational force at the tread.

stock 33 = 16.5 x 500 = 688ft lbs
37 = 18.5” x 500 = 771 ft lbs
40 = 20” x 500 = 833 ft lbs

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The forces are pretty dynamic, weight is certainly impactful, but even at the same weight, the bigger tire will cause greater torque due to just the weight of the tire since the weight is further from the axle hub. Just rolling down the highway isn’t necessarily the concern, things like axle hop and off road impact forces are.

Just to make it basic, let’s say you have an action that requires or delivers a 500lb rotational force at the tread.

stock 33 = 16.5 x 500 = 688ft lbs
37 = 18.5” x 500 = 771 ft lbs
40 = 20” x 500 = 833 ft lbs

It is in the math. The bigger the tire the less skinny pedal is needed to fuck shit up. Where a big tire hop with a 33 is not going to bend or twist an axle, it will likely break or twist the axle shaft with larger tires. So even when you think you are taking it easy, the forces are much great on the components with the larger tires. Even heavy throttle away from the light is way harder on the drive train.

So you can run 40s, just don't be surprised if you have issues. Just fix them and consider it the cost of running 40s.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
τ = m(r^2)α
Torque applied to upstream Components is equal to the mass times the radius squared times the acceleration(or sudden deceleration which is usually when parts break). The increased radius is exponentially harder on the drivetrain. That being said, an 87lb 39” km3 on a factory 21lb wheel (108lb total) will generate less force per given acceleration than a 94lb nitto 37” on a 30lb beadlock wheel (124lb total). If you want to go big for the look, aren’t going to wheel it hard, and are cognizant of the potential downsides a light total package is doable on a stock D44.
Sponsored