Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Spending even $50 on a boat is a waste of money.
Am I doing this right? Can I get everyone to have the same exact values as me by calling everyone who disagrees with me stupid?
Sponsored

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The Expedition one bumper mounted carrier looks great. My biggest issues with it are

1.) I cant find any real-world reviews on it. Ive only seen it in the Driveline YT channel.

2.) they have a 14-20 week lead time. You would think with this lead time, someone out there has to be on this forum and have this carrier.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread Capture.PNG

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
The Expedition one bumper mounted carrier looks great. My biggest issues with it are

1.) I cant find any real-world reviews on it. Ive only seen it in the Driveline YT channel.

2.) they have a 14-20 week lead time. You would think with this lead time, someone out there has to be on this forum and have this carrier.

Check out Vivid Racing they have it for $1599 and supposedly its in stock.
When I bought my Steinjager adjustable upper control arms they were not in stock at the manufacture and had a 12 week lead time, BUT they were available on Amazon for less and in stock. Might be worth poking around on the net for it, definitely a real nice looking bumper and top quality too
https://www.vividracing.com/expedit...er-system-jeep-wrangler-2018-p-152865815.html

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Check out Vivid Racing they have it for $1599 and supposedly its in stock.
When I bought my Steinjager adjustable upper control arms they were not in stock at the manufacture and had a 12 week lead time, BUT they were available on Amazon for less and in stock. Might be worth poking around on the net for it, definitely a real nice looking bumper and top quality too
https://www.vividracing.com/expedit...er-system-jeep-wrangler-2018-p-152865815.html
thanks but I wound up going an entirely different direction. Got theTeraflex HD Alpha carrier and went with Next Venture Motorsport aluminum bumper.

AuroraStanley

First Name
Aurora
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys & a 2016 Kawasaki Ninja.
I am shopping for a tailgate reinforcement panel. I am wondering if these two examples perform the same function. Both are for our JL tailgate
Mopar $500 plus for kit with hardware

RedRock $71 without hardware

Anyone know how much the Mopar plate weighs? RedRock reportedly weighs 13 lbs.
I do not want to add more weight than nessaccery to the OEM hinges. I am heavily leaning towards the $400 saving with the RedRock reinforcement plate. Hardware is not hard or expensive.
Did you end up trying the RedRock reinforcement plate? I'm thinking I may need to beef up my tailgate once we get 35s put on.. but I don't know that I want to spend the $500 on Mopar, for what it is. 🤷‍♀️

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Did you end up trying the RedRock reinforcement plate? I'm thinking I may need to beef up my tailgate once we get 35s put on.. but I don't know that I want to spend the $500 on Mopar, for what it is. 🤷‍♀️
My JLR has been sidelined while building an RV/tow rig. After talking to Mopar reps that said they were on the R&D team. I am very much convinced that a 35" tire does not require the hiped aftermarket kits offered at $500+.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
If you're running fairly light tires and wheels, you should be ok with 35's. I was on the trail yesterday with a JLS with that same set up. She daily drives it, wheels once in a while, and has had no real issues. This seems to be the general consensus.
If you're going larger than 35's or going with exceptionally heavy tires/ wheels (beadlocks) and wheeling difficult trails frequently (every weekend), I would err on the side of caution and get either a bumper mounted carrier with a swingout, or an actual hinge replacement carrier (Motobilt, Teraflex Alpha HD, ACE, etc).
I have 37" Milestars on Vision Nemesis wheels. Each tire is probably 100-120lbs. I have a Body Armor 4x4 bumper and single action swing out. It works well once adjusted properly, which does take some doing. My only concern is I am in and out of the rear of my Jeep a decent amount and I sometimes see the tailgate flexing out at the bottom when I open/ close. I need longer rubber stoppers to stabilize the tire when it closes, but I worry that it will eventually flex and warp the tailgate. If the longer stoppers don't do the trick, I may be swapping that carrier out.

I helped my buddy install a Teraflex HD Alpha on his 4xe Rubi and that's a really nice kit. That would probably be at the top of my list if I was going to replace my current set up, followed by Motobilt.

Sponsored

AuroraStanley

First Name
Aurora
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys & a 2016 Kawasaki Ninja.
My JLR has been sidelined while building an RV/tow rig. After talking to Mopar reps that said they were on the R&D team. I am very much convinced that a 35" tire does not require the hiped aftermarket kits offered at $500+.
If you're running fairly light tires and wheels, you should be ok with 35's. I was on the trail yesterday with a JLS with that same set up. She daily drives it, wheels once in a while, and has had no real issues. This seems to be the general consensus.
If you're going larger than 35's or going with exceptionally heavy tires/ wheels (beadlocks) and wheeling difficult trails frequently (every weekend), I would err on the side of caution and get either a bumper mounted carrier with a swingout, or an actual hinge replacement carrier (Motobilt, Teraflex Alpha HD, ACE, etc).
I have 37" Milestars on Vision Nemesis wheels. Each tire is probably 100-120lbs. I have a Body Armor 4x4 bumper and single action swing out. It works well once adjusted properly, which does take some doing. My only concern is I am in and out of the rear of my Jeep a decent amount and I sometimes see the tailgate flexing out at the bottom when I open/ close. I need longer rubber stoppers to stabilize the tire when it closes, but I worry that it will eventually flex and warp the tailgate. If the longer stoppers don't do the trick, I may be swapping that carrier out.

I helped my buddy install a Teraflex HD Alpha on his 4xe Rubi and that's a really nice kit. That would probably be at the top of my list if I was going to replace my current set up, followed by Motobilt.
Thank you both for the input.. the more I’ve read, the less I find myself believing that I’ll need to reinforce my stock setup right away. My JLU is a daily driver that I wheel a few times a year.. not a rock crawler that we wheel hard every weekend. I’m also keeping my stock Moab wheels & replacing stock tires w/ 35” Ridge Grapplers. I think I’ll be okay as far as weight is concerned, I’ll just have to keep an eye on the bump stops & location compared to the bumper once the tires are mounted next week.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts

It appears they make a ton of stuff for Toyota. The long lead times are supply chain and their Toyota orders. I have only seen 1 Jeeper on IG with the bumper only and he loves it. I have been eyeballing this one for about 3 months now. Time to pull the trigger, its on sale!

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
I am shopping for a tailgate reinforcement panel. I am wondering if these two examples perform the same function. Both are for our JL tailgate
Mopar $500 plus for kit with hardware
tailgate reinforcment mopar.jpeg

RedRock $71 without hardware
tailgate reinforcement RedRock.jpeg

Anyone know how much the Mopar plate weighs? RedRock reportedly weighs 13 lbs.
I do not want to add more weight than nessaccery to the OEM hinges. I am heavily leaning towards the $400 saving with the RedRock reinforcement plate. Hardware is not hard or expensive.
IMO these both suck. I had the Mopar version and it barley did anything.
You need the entire system. Look at ACE, Teraflex, Motobilt, etc . . . any with the hinge portion built in.

Last edited:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Thank you both for the input.. the more I’ve read, the less I find myself believing that I’ll need to reinforce my stock setup right away. My JLU is a daily driver that I wheel a few times a year.. not a rock crawler that we wheel hard every weekend. I’m also keeping my stock Moab wheels & replacing stock tires w/ 35” Ridge Grapplers. I think I’ll be okay as far as weight is concerned, I’ll just have to keep an eye on the bump stops & location compared to the bumper once the tires are mounted next week.
Nittos can be heavy tires. The size of the tire also has a factor in the overall weight, so if you're going wider as well as taller that is going to be heavier as well. I know the Trail Grapplers are relatively heavier tires as they have deep lugs and a heavy carcass. They also run true to size, which many other tries do not. Off the top of my head, I would guess the ridge grapplers share the same traits.

Keep an eye on it. Even with the stresses of daily driving the tailgate can warp and flex if your spare carrier isn't up to the task (including the OEM one). When my JLUR was stock (32x11.5 BFG and the OEM alloy Rubi wheels), if I shut the tailgate I could see it flex under the weight of the tire/ wheel when closing it. Putting a new carrier on has helped alleviate that somewhat....

jgram1040

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4D
Just wanted to provide and update on what does and what does not fit on a stock 21' JLUR rear tire carrier.

I recently installed Rock Trix 17x9 4.5 (-12) offset wheels wrapped in 35x11.5 Toyo Open Country AT3s and I am pleased to report that my full size spare fits on my factory rear tire carrier.

With that being said, the wheel/tire combo does stick out a bit more than stock because of the offset, the camera does pick up a bit of the inner wheel but nothing major.

Things to note:
- Rear camera cover no longer fits
- 3rd brake light still visible
- Wheel/tire no longer resting on factory bump stops (ordered some extensions for extra support)
- Tailgate seems no more stressed than with factory setup (~70lbs factory wheel tire / ~90lbs aftermarket setup so +20lbs gain on tailgate)
- Tire has perhaps 1/4 inch between it and resting on the rear bumper but tailgate closes fine.

With all that being said, I plan to add a RedRock HD Tailgate Reinforcement Panel as the tailgate seems to only be under more stress at full open but no noticeable effects on opening / closing / alignment and the tire clears the rear bumper.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/redrock-4x4-hd-tailgate-reinforcement-panel-2018-jl.html

Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread reartire
Sponsored