The Tire Carrier Thread

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Completed the teraflex alpha HD install today with 37in KO2s and beadlocks and was able to get the tire super tight To the tailgate. Solved all my issues with the backup sensors false positive’ing and provided better view than I had with the full mopar oversized setup and now have enough clearance to get hitch bike rack on.
I just installed mine as well. Running 37s on vision se7en's. I am not using a tailgate reinforcememt, and it seems to handle weight just fine. Will keep an eye on it for signs of stress, but I am very pleased with the overall look and function.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Question for those with the Teraflex Alpha and Mopar tailgate reinforcement. Did you need anything else besides those parts? Specifically, will Mopar part 82215355 be required?

I have the Teraflex Alpha with 35s and I like it. But I will be changing to 37s soon and it’s at the brink of what I think the tailgate can handle without reinforcement. I want to buy a user’s Mopar tailgate reinforcement but I just want to be sure that I won’t need anything else. Thanks.

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
Question for those with the Teraflex Alpha and Mopar tailgate reinforcement. Did you need anything else besides those parts? Specifically, will Mopar part 82215355 be required?

I have the Teraflex Alpha with 35s and I like it. But I will be changing to 37s soon and it’s at the brink of what I think the tailgate can handle without reinforcement. I want to buy a user’s Mopar tailgate reinforcement but I just want to be sure that I won’t need anything else. Thanks.
you should not need the part you referenced.
I’m running both and only needed to use the two small brackets shown coming with reinforcement kit to ensure everything is even for mounting on the left upper and lower sides.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/tailgate-reinforcement-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-82215356ab

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
you should not need the part you referenced.
I’m running both and only needed to use the two small brackets shown coming with reinforcement kit to ensure everything is even for mounting on the left upper and lower sides.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/tailgate-reinforcement-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-82215356ab
Thanks. The Mopar tailgate reinforcement you linked is what I’m buying. What exactly do you mean by “the two small brackets shown coming with reinforcement kit”? Parts that already come with it or some parts that I will need in addition to the normal parts it comes with?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. The Mopar tailgate reinforcement you linked is what I’m buying. What exactly do you mean by “the two small brackets shown coming with reinforcement kit”? Parts that already come with it or some parts that I will need in addition to the normal parts it comes with?
I believe he is referencing these
Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread 60B7AAD2-D720-4DFD-8BF7-348CB3E8A439

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I believe he is referencing these
Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread 60B7AAD2-D720-4DFD-8BF7-348CB3E8A439
OK, if that’s the case then great. They already come as parts of the reinforcement, not separate items to buy. All of the Original parts are included with the one I’m looking to buy. Thanks.

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
OK, if that’s the case then great. They already come as parts of the reinforcement, not separate items to buy. All of the Original parts are included with the one I’m looking to buy. Thanks.
Yes, what he circled is exactly what I was talking about.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yes, what he circled is exactly what I was talking about.
Thanks for confirmation. I really like the Teraflex Alpha. I feel OK with 35s, but I want more support for the 37s I’m about to get. I was eagerly awaiting Teraflex’s hinge support, but they want twice as much for it ($800) as the JK version allegedly because it’s slightly bigger. Seems like they’re just gouging JL owners just because. I kind of resent that and won’t give them any more of my money because of it.

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
Thanks for confirmation. I really like the Teraflex Alpha. I feel OK with 35s, but I want more support for the 37s I’m about to get. I was eagerly awaiting Teraflex’s hinge support, but they want twice as much for it ($800) as the JK version allegedly because it’s slightly bigger. Seems like they’re just gouging JL owners just because. I kind of resent that and won’t give them any more of my money because of it.
No problem.

I'm usually not a huge teraflex fan, but this tire mount is by far one of the best I could find out there in regards to really well built, flexibility, and cost effective. It allowed me to get the tire super tight to the tailgate which is awesome.

I'm running 37s on beadlocks and I was able to get it perfectly tight ensuring no false alarming from the backup sensors (my original problem with mopar oversized kit) and it's rock solid with no movement. I was also able to use the factory bumpstops without any modifications as well.

And I agree the mopar reinforcement looks much cleaner and surprisingly is more cost effective then the one coming from Teraflex.

DrDas

First Name
IceDr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I put the Mopar kit on mine as I am running 37" on the Mopar Beadlock capable wheels. The only issue I see is when the tailgate is open, it actually drops about 1/4 inch at the latch end. I have to lift it slightly in order for it to close without a "clunk." I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but if so, how did you correct it?

Sponsored

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
I put the Mopar kit on mine as I am running 37" on the Mopar Beadlock capable wheels. The only issue I see is when the tailgate is open, it actually drops about 1/4 inch at the latch end. I have to lift it slightly in order for it to close without a "clunk." I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but if so, how did you correct it?
I had the same setup as you (carrier, tire size and rim) before moving to the teraflex tire carrier and I never had that issue.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
shot in the dark, and this may not be the place to ask, but any chance of getting a bumper mounted swing out carrier @Motobilt ?

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
@Rubi-Zero @kobejo34 @Puckn19
Any of you using anything to cover the gap left by the removal of the stock hinges? I saw some foam tape as one suggestion on another thread but just curious what the three of you are doing as I’m leaning towards this carrier to replace the Mopar set up + hockey puck hack to better secure the 37 spare. Any feedback on having the whole thing powder coated before install? I know some said rattle can spray might be better for easier touch up.

@Motobilt
Any suggestions on what to use to cover the gap left from the install?

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@Rubi-Zero @kobejo34 @Puckn19
Any of you using anything to cover the gap left by the removal of the stock hinges? I saw some foam tape as one suggestion on another thread but just curious what the three of you are doing as I’m leaning towards this carrier to replace the Mopar set up + hockey puck hack to better secure the 37 spare. Any feedback on having the whole thing powder coated before install? I know some said rattle can spray might be better for easier touch up.

@Motobilt
Any suggestions on what to use to cover the gap left from the install?
I haven't' done anything but it would be nice to have a grommet or something to close it up some.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs